Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: External Case Cooling

01 Feb 2012   #1
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 
External Case Cooling

I have a Startech Esatcase2 connected to each of my PCs, and the one on the desktop is now getting old enough that the cooling fan is beginning to make noise. Even when new, due to the small size of the fan, it was never very quiet, and is louder than the PC which has many cooling fans.

I'm not certain whether the fan is accessible for replacement or not, because all that I see are only two screws at the bottom rear of the case, but even if those were all that were necessary, a new fan wouldn't be any quieter than originally.

Therefore, I've been considering the possibility of mounting a large fan on the side of the case...if I could find an appropriate cage to put them in. If I did, I'm not sure that the airflow pattern would cover each of the hard drives because the drive on the side the fan was on, would block the other one. I'm hoping that the airflow around the drives would suffice, which seems possible comparing it to that of the little fans that now exist.

Any ideas or opinions would be very helpful. Here is a link to some photos of the cases:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817707092


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Feb 2012   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
a new fan wouldn't be any quieter than originally
What makes you say that?

Is it not possible that the original fan is dying and therefore making more noise than a new one?

Is it possible to replace the original fan with a same-size superior new fan from another manufacturer that would be quieter than the stock fan, even if the stock fan is in good shape? I have no idea what kind of fans those things take, but there are dozens of fan manufacturers and hundreds of fans.

If the stock fan is quite small, any same-size replacement may be noisier than you would like. Small generally means higher RPM and more noise.

Can you currently monitor the temps of those drives and the RPM of the fans?

If I recall correctly, the huge study that Google did some years ago on drive longevity did not establish a high correlation between temperature and longevity. But of course that was for ordinary cases, not those add-on externals like you have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #3
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
a new fan wouldn't be any quieter than originally
What makes you say that?

Is it not possible that the original fan is dying and therefore making more noise than a new one?
Yes, it is making more noise now than it did previously, however I know both from my memory, and by listening to the other case, which is not all that old, that the fan has never been as quiet as I would like.
Quote:
Is it possible to replace the original fan with a same-size superior new fan from another manufacturer that would be quieter than the stock fan, even if the stock fan is in good shape? I have no idea what kind of fans those things take, but there are dozens of fan manufacturers and hundreds of fans.
I have never come across a truly high quality fan in that small of a size. If you know of one, please tell me. I suspect that even if there were a high quality fan that small, it still wouldn't be ideal, because of the high speed involved.
Quote:

If the stock fan is quite small, any same-size replacement may be noisier than you would like. Small generally means higher RPM and more noise.

Can you currently monitor the temps of those drives and the RPM of the fans?
I can monitor there temps, but not their fan speeds. The temp of one drive in the case in question, is currently at 41 degrees, which is within limits, but is also somewhat higher than the drives in the main case.
Quote:
If I recall correctly, the huge study that Google did some years ago on drive longevity did not establish a high correlation between temperature and longevity. But of course that was for ordinary cases, not those add-on externals like you have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Feb 2012   #4
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

The spec on that enclosure shows the fan at 27.1 dBa. Check out this 60mm fan at 12 dBa and 14cfm which may do the job.

Newegg.com - SilenX IXP-34-12 60mm Case Fan

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #5
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

I did a little Googling, which leads me to believe those things take 40mm fans.

As you say, ANY 40mm fan is likely to be noiser than ideal.

Scythe does make 40 mm fans and they are a high quality manufacturer.

Here is an example:

Scythe "Mini Kaze" 40mm Silent Mini Fan

The description says it can be used in external cases. I have no idea if it will work in your case or its noise levels. Rated at 14 DB and 3500 rpm.

Jabtech is a good outfit.

I would guess other manufacturers also make small fans. Root around for Nexus, Noctua, etc.

I know you frown on Newegg, but you might look there just for ideas:

Newegg.com - Hard Drive Coolers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #6
Phone Man

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

When I Binged it shows this unit which uses a 60mm fan. Seems to be what the OP has.

http://www.startech.com/InfoSafe-Dual-35-Drive-eSATA-to-SATA-HD-Enclosure~ESATCASE2

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #7
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
When I Binged it shows this unit which uses a 60mm fan. Seems to be what the OP has.

http://www.startech.com/InfoSafe-Dual-35-Drive-eSATA-to-SATA-HD-Enclosure~ESATCASE2

Jim
I think you are right, Jim. I went to Startech but didn't find that exact model in my fumbling.

If it is 60mm, look at these ideas:

Hard Drive Coolers*::*Case fans and accessories*::*Jab-tech

60mm Fans*::*Case Fans*::*Case fans and accessories*::*Jab-tech

Seeker: if I were in your shoes, I would tolerate temps a bit higher than you might like in exchange for quiet, but it's your call.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #8
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

There is one good aspect of asking questions, it causes me to get off my haunches and do things that I have put off far too long. I did find a couple more screws on the back of the case, allowing me to disassemble it, and to give it it's first cleaning since I bought it. That quietened it down some, at least got rid of the rattly noise it was making. Considering how long it has been, it wasn't as dirty as I expected though.

I'm still interested in the idea of a large side fan for it though, because that would make a lot of difference, if it would work. Noctua is the only brand of fan that I have found that is truly quiet, but when I did search their website for a fan of this size, I found nothing. I measured the fan at ~2 1/8" in diameter, and ~5/8" thick. that diameter doesn't correlate exactly for either a 60mm (2.362 204 724 4") or 40mm (1.574 803 149 6") fan, but I'm not sure whether they are measure the size of the tunnel in which it is mounted, or the fan blades themselves? Obviously, 60mm comes much closer than 40mm.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #9
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

A side question that I'm wondering about, is that I noticed in the Newegg ad, that it said that this case would support a 750GB hard drive, but I'm running a 1.5TB and 2TB drives side-by-side, and haven't had any problems that I know of. Of course the drives are only for archived data, not for running an OS from. How is that size limit involved?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #10
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post

I'm still interested in the idea of a large side fan for it though, because that would make a lot of difference, if it would work. Noctua is the only brand of fan that I have found that is truly quiet, but when I did search their website for a fan of this size, I found nothing. I measured the fan at ~2 1/8" in diameter, and ~5/8" thick. that diameter doesn't correlate exactly for either a 60mm (2.362 204 724 4") or 40mm (1.574 803 149 6") fan, but I'm not sure whether they are measure the size of the tunnel in which it is mounted, or the fan blades themselves? Obviously, 60mm comes much closer than 40mm.
I'd assume Jim is right and that you have 60mm fans. The difference between your measurement of 2 1/8 and 2.36 is under a quarter inch. In fact, that measurement of 60mm may actually be for the mounting holes?

I can't find 60mm Noctuas either.

You are just going to have to experiment. Any exposed fan is going to be noisier than a concealed equivalent. I'd pay next to no attention to marketing claims of DB ratings.

Here is a Yate Loon 60mm. Other Yate Loons I have used were low noise.

Quiet 60mm Case Fan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 External Case Cooling




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Case Cooling?
ok so heres my problem. I got my new GPU and its massive. so massive that I cant put my side fan on anymore without having to screw the fan on in an awkward way to get it to fit. but I got it on. the thing about the gpu is that its so long it cuts my case in half. as of now I have 3 exhaust...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Good Water Cooling Case??
So I was wondering what cases people suggest for water cooling cases? Budget max for the case is $150-250. A must have is internal USB3 connector. Also I realize that mid tower may or may not be an option, so probably full size? One other thing is radiator configuration, I want something...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Case Cooling
Hello I could not find the "right" place for this, mods please feel free to redirect. I am about to build another system. Details: - Case CoolerMaster Centurion 5 II (new) PSU OCZ StealthXStream 500Watt (Current PC) Mobo Giga EG41MFT-US2H (Current) CPU Core 2...
General Discussion
Case Cooling
I just built a new computer and need help on the best place to put an extra fan I have. Currently I have a fan blowing air in from the front, one on the side panel blowing air in, and a fan blowing air out in the back. This Cooler Master case has two extra places on the top and a place in the...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
NEW CASE + Water cooling system
Hello... Some weaks ago I've opened a thread about my games crashing, the result was that my PSU was broken and my CPU and GPU temperature are heating too fast: http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/103813-games-crashing-black-screen.html Also my case is too small there is no room for...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Cooling with Haf 922 case and H50 water cooler
Hi i am cooling with Haf 922 case and H50 water cooler. I would like to know what people are recomending for their fan setup..I have a push pull setup with my H50. Front intake fan and top exhaust fan. 2 side intakes and 1 bottom intake fan..my cpu underload gets to about 51. Please someone help...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App