Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't change CPU voltage on MSI 990xa-GD55 Mobo

03 Oct 2012   #1
levelchaser

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Can't change CPU voltage on MSI 990xa-GD55 Mobo

Does anybody know why I can't increase the CPU voltage beyond 1.346000 V on my MSI 990xa-gd55 motherboard? I've tinkered with practically everything in the BIOS, and searched loads of forums and haven't found my answer. :/




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Oct 2012   #2
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

your PSU isn't enough you are probally cutting it close as it is
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #3
levelchaser

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
your PSU isn't enough you are probally cutting it close as it is
it's a 500 watt PSU. Is there anything I can do to change this and is there any other way to monitor PSU usage/stability other than adding up all of my device voltages?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Oct 2012   #4
levelchaser

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

With $92 in my paypal can anybody recommend a PSU that would be around 650-700 watt and modular? The only one I could find that really fits is this one: Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
but i'm not sure how I feel about OCZ.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #5
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by levelchaser View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
your PSU isn't enough you are probally cutting it close as it is
it's a 500 watt PSU. Is there anything I can do to change this and is there any other way to monitor PSU usage/stability other than adding up all of my device voltages?
Think of it like this when you Oc anything it takes a little more every component takes a decent amount your video card is a minimum 500 at best

you OC the videocard more juice you are trying to up pc performance more juice more fans you add more juice

so you want to get something to compensate for that extra bump you need

this is a good deal http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #6
levelchaser

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by levelchaser View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
your PSU isn't enough you are probally cutting it close as it is
it's a 500 watt PSU. Is there anything I can do to change this and is there any other way to monitor PSU usage/stability other than adding up all of my device voltages?
Think of it like this when you Oc anything it takes a little more every component takes a decent amount your video card is a minimum 500 at best

you OC the videocard more juice you are trying to up pc performance more juice more fans you add more juice

so you want to get something to compensate for that extra bump you need

this is a good deal Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Yeah I understand, it just never crossed my mind really I completely forgot. I'm looking for modular PSU's only. :/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #7
Thorsen

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

Purchased that same OCZ for my case. Its pretty nice (lol and I am using the same mobo)

The 8pin to CPU power is a little short and crosses over the board (will reach, but just barely)

I ordered this extender as well for cable management. Newegg.com - KINGWIN Model PCI-02 12" EPS 12V 8-Pin Power Extension Cable F-M

Both PSUs here look nice and with discounts and rebates are pretty good deals.

Are you still using stock cooling? if you are OC'ing I would get a better Heatsink.... Not sure if you are seeing good temperatures or not (I have not OC'ed mine yet) but am using an aftermarket cooler.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #8
levelchaser

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
Purchased that same OCZ for my case. Its pretty nice (lol and I am using the same mobo)

The 8pin to CPU power is a little short and crosses over the board (will reach, but just barely)

I ordered this extender as well for cable management. Newegg.com - KINGWIN Model PCI-02 12" EPS 12V 8-Pin Power Extension Cable F-M

Both PSUs here look nice and with discounts and rebates are pretty good deals.

Are you still using stock cooling? if you are OC'ing I would get a better Heatsink.... Not sure if you are seeing good temperatures or not (I have not OC'ed mine yet) but am using an aftermarket cooler.
I am using stock cooling. However at a 4.4 ghz overclock my temps don't even go above 47c during stress tests. I know stock cooling sounds lame, but it's doing fine for me so I don't plan to upgrade right this moment. In the future I will definitely take a look at it though. I'm not shooting for any crazy overclocks. 4.6ghz will make me happy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #9
Thorsen

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 

Thanks for info back. was wondering what this board was capable of myself
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #10
levelchaser

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
Thanks for info back. was wondering what this board was capable of myself
I love the mobo for being so middleground. It's not crazy, yet it's still considered high quality. I've been using it for like around 2 months. Once this PSU comes in hopefully I'll be able to get a stable overclock of 4.6 and then i'll be all set. Last thing on my list to get is an SSD! If you're curious about anything else just ask.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't change CPU voltage on MSI 990xa-GD55 Mobo




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
bios voltage change
i had 4gb or ram but then i added another 4 to make 8gb or ram, but i am getting bsod. how do i change the voltage to match the ram?
Hardware & Devices
MSi P67A-GD55 B3, Intel SATA Problem still persists??? Pls Help
Hi everyone, this is my first post and first thread in the forum. I hope y'all are doing fabulous. I just bought an MSi P67A-GD55 B3 from someone yesterday. The board was brand new. It is a revision 3, which is supposed to fix Intel's SATA problems that used to be there before. I just...
Hardware & Devices
GA-990XA-UD3 Front Audio - Headphone and Mic - not working
Hello. I have a new, custom build and cannot get the front audio to work. The two USB ports along side the Mic and Headphone jacks work fine. System Specs The motherboard is a GA-990XA-UD3. Chipset AMD RD9XO Rev 02. Southbridge AMD SB10/950 R40. Bios Award Software Ver F8 CPU: AMD Phenom II x6...
Sound & Audio
Change of mobo and re-installing Win7
Hi!! I would like to check with u guys.. If I bought a new mobo and did a clean re-install of my current OEM 64bit Win7,do I need to get a new license or can I just activate it online??
Windows Updates & Activation
Change Mobo and Processor without format ?
Is it possible to change motherboard and proc without reformat ? Perhaps a repair install ? Possible with windows 7 x64 or not ? Windows 7 x64 7137 BTW. :D
Hardware & Devices
Mobo & CPU change - Reinstall??
Well, just upgraded my motherboard (from Intel DG965RY) and CPU (from C2D E6600) to EP45-UD3R and C2Q Q9550, respectively, without reinstalling the OS. This is my first time doing that. All the times I've done this right up to Vista, a major hardware upgrade has meant a complete OS reinstall. ...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App