Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: THINKING about overclocking...

01 Dec 2012   #1
JoesMorgue

Windows 7 Ultimate x64/Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 
THINKING about overclocking...

The computer in my stats is our family computer...

MOST of us have laptops, but we ALL use the 8-Core [There's something about a desktop...]

IF I overclock this, I want to go SLOW, and would most likely stay with standard cooling.

Thoughts?
Comments?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Dec 2012   #2
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I'm not a AMD person so I can't help you over clock but no mater what cpu you use I don't recommend over clocking a cpu without extra cooling.
If this is the same computer you just spent weeks getting fixed and 69 post I also recommend running it stock for a couple week just to make sure thing still work as they should.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2012   #3
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Also take it from a direct user of this very chip series the difference only generates heat and very little if any gain. As the bios defaults to an aggressive turbo mode the stock setting should be left alone. Cooling this monster when you begin pushing it requires an additional outlay and I look to other area's like a banging GPU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Dec 2012   #4
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

On a side note I just moved my 8120FX into a Corsair case from the previous case where I had pushed the mobo and CPU very hard thinking higher was better. This chip will OC like crazy and it was fun with water cooling to push it, but I have to tell you on stock settings the ram and CPU in it's new home runs crazy fast with 's Crossfired Radeons. Take it form one that knows play if you want to play but only risk what YOU AND THE FAMILY can afford to lose if you get my drift! If this isn't your computer then please look elsewhere or only go to very modest levels. Read, ask questions and then read more, purchase great case fans and a aggressive CPU cooling solution then and only then with permission from the system owner should you proceed....or face the real possibility of smoking the system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2012   #5
JoesMorgue

Windows 7 Ultimate x64/Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

I am the one who bought the computer, I am the one that built it. I am the one that spent three weeks trying to get it fixed with the 69 posts.

Is it MY computer? I'm married, so I'm not SURE!

I do know that I can't get the thing running at 9Ghz with the heat sink that came with it. 5 would probably be too much also.

Maybe I should work on tweaking up the software to see if I can get more speed while staying at 3.6Ghz.

My RAMDrive exists partially for speed, partially for less wear on the SSD, and to save time, I know the SSD will last about as long as an HDD.

My Temp files go to the RAMDrive, I KNOW that is a speed boost over my SATA2 SSD..

What else can I do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2012   #6
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JoesMorgue View Post
I am the one who bought the computer, I am the one that built it. I am the one that spent three weeks trying to get it fixed with the 69 posts.

Is it MY computer? I'm married, so I'm not SURE!

I do know that I can't get the thing running at 9Ghz with the heat sink that came with it. 5 would probably be too much also.

Maybe I should work on tweaking up the software to see if I can get more speed while staying at 3.6Ghz.

My RAMDrive exists partially for speed, partially for less wear on the SSD, and to save time, I know the SSD will last about as long as an HDD.

My Temp files go to the RAMDrive, I KNOW that is a speed boost over my SATA2 SSD..

What else can I do?

9Ghz really dude you are a better overclocker then me if you can achieve that

You can get a decent overclock off of the 8150 if you are going to bump it up
Yes I understand you spent alot of post trying to figure out the ram issue and all ordering ram etc........

you already have a turbo of 4Ghz honestly unless you have a waterloop and a good air circulation things will heat up fast If you have a decent air heatsink i would only go to about 4.2 Ghz max you would get on air before reaching thermal issues on air would be about 4.5 max if you can get it to stablize
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2012   #7
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

I meant no offense and hope none was taken JoesMorgue ! Look into a little more multiplier in the bios but don't add voltage until you invest in a great cooling solution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2012   #8
JoesMorgue

Windows 7 Ultimate x64/Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
9Ghz really dude you are a better overclocker then me if you can achieve that

You can get a decent overclock off of the 8150 if you are going to bump it up
Yes I understand you spent alot of post trying to figure out the ram issue and all ordering ram etc........

you already have a turbo of 4Ghz honestly unless you have a waterloop and a good air circulation things will heat up fast If you have a decent air heatsink i would only go to about 4.2 Ghz max you would get on air before reaching thermal issues on air would be about 4.5 max if you can get it to stablize
I have heard that somebody got an 8150 to run at just over 9Ghz, but they had to disable 6 of the 8 cores. I'd rather have the 8 cores...

I didn't know my machine turbo's at 4Ghz...

Right, I thinks I will post a request in the right area about tweaking the OS/my machine without overclocking. I'd rather have a responsive machine than a fried one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2012   #9
JoesMorgue

Windows 7 Ultimate x64/Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
I meant no offense and hope none was taken JoesMorgue ! Look into a little more multiplier in the bios but don't add voltage until you invest in a great cooling solution.
I was not offended, and I hope I didn't sound like I was.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 THINKING about overclocking...




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Seriously thinking about getting an SSD
I'm currently considering the benefits of getting an SSD. There are certain circumstances keeping me from getting one at the moment, but as soon as I can buy one without going broke, I plan to buy a 30-32GB one for the OS and use my current HDD for file storage. If you had to choose between the two...
Hardware & Devices
Thinking about a new SSD
Im thinking of getting around a 250GB SSD. Do they last any longer or shorter than HDDs? Will they make my computer faster? The big question: Is it worth it, or should I go with a 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD?
Hardware & Devices
thinking about SSD
Hello again, Looking to move my primary W7 machine to SSD in March. Plan on a small one, probably 32gigs for W7, CS4 Design Premium, etc. etc. Is this too small, do I have to go 64gigs? Also, most of the reviews out there, at least on New Egg are average except for the Intel ones. Any...
Hardware & Devices
How To: Overclocking Your AMD Processor : Introduction: The Basics Of Overclocking
http://media.bestofmicro.com/CPU-AMD-Overclocking,9-J-180487-1.jpg http://media.bestofmicro.com/CPU-AMD-Overclocking,9-K-180488-1.jpg Tom’s Hardware readers know all about overclocking, of course. In fact, many processor and graphics card reviews would be deemed incomplete without coverage of...
Performance & Maintenance
Just was thinking....
Windows Seven, should be renamed Windows. Just simply Windows. No suffix. No XP, no Vista, no codenames, no numbers. Just simply Windows. This OS is by far the best I have used. Sure it has some bugs here and there, but that's what happens with Betas. It could be: Windows Basic Windows...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:42.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App