Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is this a good gaming computer build?

27 Mar 2013   #21
nilank

 

@OP, one thing needs to be brought to your attention. As you said in your first post, you want to max out settings. But at 1080p resolution, there's almost no need of turning anti aliasing on at all since edges are already smooth. As already pointed out by m1gu31, keeping it off will give you a huge fps boost. Not everything needs to be maxed since some settings don't even make a noticeable visual difference.

I am telling you again, that card will be fine for you as your requirement for fps is quite less.

Please disregard my first post in this thread. That suggestion was in accordance to my taste, I need 60 fps everywhere, <60 stutters for me, I'm a super human with extra capability of noticing miniscule lags, lol (I'm not kidding!).


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Mar 2013   #22
CommandoBob

Windows 8 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anxsds View Post
Looks nice! I'd personally add a mechanical hard drive as well for media and other non-read-time-dependent files.
I will be using my old Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB to store backups and other large files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #23
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommandoBob View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anxsds View Post
Looks nice! I'd personally add a mechanical hard drive as well for media and other non-read-time-dependent files.
I will be using my old Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB to store backups and other large files.
I want to know how much more does raid improve your force 3

I have a force SSD that scores a 7.6 on WEI running raid would bring it up I assume ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Mar 2013   #24
CommandoBob

Windows 8 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommandoBob View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anxsds View Post
Looks nice! I'd personally add a mechanical hard drive as well for media and other non-read-time-dependent files.
I will be using my old Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB to store backups and other large files.
I want to know how much more does raid improve your force 3

I have a force SSD that scores a 7.6 on WEI running raid would bring it up I assume ?
I haven't done a RAID yet, I plan to do a RAID 0 on my future Samsung SSD 840 Pro & Corsair Force 3 SSD, and keep the HDD to make backups for the RAID regularly and store large files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #25
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

I see there are Tutorials on how that is done here in that section

just want to know what kind of advantage it would have over the sandforce controller
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #26
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

With them having 2 different controllers, I don't know how a RAID array would work. Secondly, you don't have to waste it, you can keep it in your system and install games or programs on it. You will see no REAL WORLD gains setting up RAID 0 on your SSD's.

I just looked up the Corsair Force 3, it popped into my head when Solarstarshines mentioned the Sandforce controller......you CAN'T put those two SSD's in RAID 0 because they are different sizes, 128GB vs 120GB. You would have to mess with the provisioning to get them to match up correctly and I can guarantee you it isn't worth that. The sequential read/write speeds are already at the limits of SATA III, and that is all RAID 0 affects. Plus, you are doubling your chances of failure with drives in RAID 0!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #27
CommandoBob

Windows 8 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
With them having 2 different controllers, I don't know how a RAID array would work. Secondly, you don't have to waste it, you can keep it in your system and install games or programs on it. You will see no REAL WORLD gains setting up RAID 0 on your SSD's.

I just looked up the Corsair Force 3, it popped into my head when Solarstarshines mentioned the Sandforce controller......you CAN'T put those two SSD's in RAID 0 because they are different sizes, 128GB vs 120GB. You would have to mess with the provisioning to get them to match up correctly and I can guarantee you it isn't worth that. The sequential read/write speeds are already at the limits of SATA III, and that is all RAID 0 affects. Plus, you are doubling your chances of failure with drives in RAID 0!
Okay, I won't be setting up a RAID 0 then. Thanks for the elaborate advice you've given me!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #28
Johnnycash

Windows 7 Ultimate x 32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
I see there are Tutorials on how that is done here in that section

just want to know what kind of advantage it would have over the sandforce controller
Yes. CommandoBob is right! I prefer getting two corsair SSD's and creating RAID on this. Force 3 are decent SSD with consistent performance. I am planning to get this going soon. Will share how this goes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #29
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnycash View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
I see there are Tutorials on how that is done here in that section

just want to know what kind of advantage it would have over the sandforce controller
Yes. CommandoBob is right! I prefer getting two corsair SSD's and creating RAID on this. Force 3 are decent SSD with consistent performance. I am planning to get this going soon. Will share how this goes
There is no reason to put SSDs in RAID 0. You double your risk of failure, and there is no benefit. The speed increase you get is Sequential Read/Write speeds, and you will never get to utilize that unless you are transferring big files from an SSD to another SSD. If you are moving files from an SSD to a HDD, you will only go as fast as the HDD. The real world speeds, Random 4K Read/Writes and Access Times, will not get any of the boost in performance. There used to be a legitimate reason to put drives in a RAID 0 array, but not with modern SSD's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #30
Roo66

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 Dual Boot
 
 

@kbrady1979

You say raiding SSD's is pointless, but my OCZ IBIS drive actually uses 4 60GB drives in RAID0 to create 240GB. (They are actually 64GB each if I recall, with the extra used for cell failure. The 4 drives can be seen separately on POST.)

Just sayin'....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is this a good gaming computer build?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Help me build a gaming computer!
Hello fellow members of the sevenforums community! Myyoyo97 here, bringing you a new topic where I have a question about getting a new computer. My current computer is in really bad shape as we speak. It could break down any minute! I was thinking of buying a new computer focused on gaming. I...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
good computer build for up to 400
could anyone recommend me a good computer build for up to 400. please.
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Is this a good computer for gaming?
I'm building a new computer for $700 and I mainly use computers for gaming. I will not be playing games like crusis on ultra settings or anything like that, just minecraft, skyrim, and some other games; so it doesn't need to be that powerful. But is this computer good for gaming? PCPartPicker...
Chillout Room
Would this be a good Home Theatre gaming computer?
FZ MicroATX HTPC Wishlist - Newegg.ca Because I'd have to upgrade everything on my computer anyways, I just sold it and now I plan to build a new setup. I believe this would be a pretty powerful system, and I think cooling would be sufficient. Any thoughts or advice?
Hardware & Devices
Need help to build a gaming computer
Hi, I am interested in building an OP gaming computer for under $2500, and I really have no idea where to start. I'm not very knowledgeable about the components needed to create one and any help would be most awesome. Someone I know suggested that these components would be good: AMD phenom II X6...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Is this cheap custom build good for windows 7 gaming, etc?
AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz ASUS M4N68T-M V2 AM3 ZOTAC GT440 Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 1066MHz Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM ASUS 24X DVD Burner Antec BP550 Plus 550W 80 Plus certified HEC 63R3BB Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 S9J-00001...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App