Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: cpu processor pull out while applying thermal paste

20 May 2013   #1
jian57

windows 7
 
 
cpu processor pull out while applying thermal paste

None of the pins fell out but it won't turn on.
Any suggestions?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 May 2013   #2
TwoCables

 

What happened exactly?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2013   #3
jian57

windows 7
 
 

Well, the old thermal pad wasn't working so we decided to use thermal paste instead. When my dad tried to get the heatsink off, he accidentally pulled off the cpu processor and none of the pins fell off. I put the termal paste on and tried to turn on the computer and it won't turn on
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 May 2013   #4
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Well sounds like you damaged the socket on the board

I wouldn't fiddle with it if it isn't turning on something is broken and you don't want further damage

Look at your Motherboard socket and take a photo so we can exactly see what you see
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2013   #5
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Just as a matter of curiosity what brand processor is it? Does it (processor) have pins or does the socket have pins?

Either way check for bent pins and you can do this by carefully cutting a strip of old credit card approx the width of the socket and GENTLY lower the strip into the socket or place it along the line of processor pins.

This will show you if any are significantly bent or missing pins as you will see each individual row.

Bent pins can be GENTLY teased back straight against the card strip and redo a visual check along each line .

You may even find that one or more may have been loosened if not broken out this will also leave you with a bad contact.

Also I am assuming you know that you mustn't use too much thermal compound so check for any contamination of the pins in the socket or on the processor. Also that the processor was put back in alignment correctly too?

NB Specs on machines are always handy for queries
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 May 2013   #6
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jian57 View Post
Well, the old thermal pad wasn't working so we decided to use thermal paste instead. When my dad tried to get the heatsink off, he accidentally pulled off the cpu processor and none of the pins fell off. I put the termal paste on and tried to turn on the computer and it won't turn on
Which CPU is it?

How much thermal paste did you apply?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2013   #7
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jian57 View Post
Well, the old thermal pad wasn't working so we decided to use thermal paste instead. When my dad tried to get the heatsink off, he accidentally pulled off the cpu processor and none of the pins fell off. I put the termal paste on and tried to turn on the computer and it won't turn on
Which CPU is it?

How much thermal paste did you apply?
Yep TC just what I was asking there is very little info to go on here and why I asked what I did - that card trick should show any bent or missing pins but the point is socket or CPU??

Or for that matter laptop or desktop?? as lappys as you know can be made a real mess of with too much compound.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2013   #8
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jian57 View Post
Well, the old thermal pad wasn't working so we decided to use thermal paste instead. When my dad tried to get the heatsink off, he accidentally pulled off the cpu processor and none of the pins fell off. I put the termal paste on and tried to turn on the computer and it won't turn on
Which CPU is it?

How much thermal paste did you apply?
Yep TC just what I was asking there is very little info to go on here and why I asked what I did - that card trick should show any bent or missing pins but the point is socket or CPU??

Or for that matter laptop or desktop?? as lappys as you know can be made a real mess of with too much compound.
Omg, good question: laptop or desktop. Oh boy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2013   #9
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

I know there needs to be more info gathered, but holy crap, the picture in my mind of this happening is horrifying!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 May 2013   #10
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Yep I am wondering where the OP is unless the timezone is in sleep mode perhaps.

Thinking of it again is making me think perhaps the compound was so firmly stuck the board the socket was attached to was itself damaged because the OP says his Dad pulled off the processor with the heatsink which meant it was still firmly clamped to the board.

Now if that were a desktop it means those clamps / clips we are used to but it could have been one of those screwed down laptop heatsinks if the machine is a laptop that is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 cpu processor pull out while applying thermal paste




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
After applying thermal paste,now computer beeps & shuts down all of su
My desktop was shutting down because of thermal event. I cleaned everything, applied new thermal paste, after that re installed windows but still it beeps when booting and shuts down all of a sudden. Occasionally it worked for an hour or so flawlessly. If it is again because of overheating it...
General Discussion
Thermal Paste
After reading some good reports on Shin Etsu thermal paste, I bought some, but am having a lot of problems with getting it to spread properly. It tends to clump together, and when forcing it out, it leaves such a thin covering that the lettering on the CPU is still plainly visible. I'm about to...
Hardware & Devices
Cleaning CPU's thermal paste.
Do you guys leave the CPU in the socket? or actually remove the CPU completely? Thanks! :D
Performance & Maintenance
Thermal paste
Hey guys, So I was hoping to get some clarification (as well as personal opinions) on thermal paste application. I have heard many different ways of applying thermal paste, and I am guessing they all work. The real question is, how MUCH? I just have a feeling I put on TOO much on my new...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Thermal paste, not another applying question..
Hey everyone! My first time changing a CPU cooler and I got a few questions besides the application procedure, the questions: 1. Does the paste need to harden before turning on the computer? If yes, how long? 2. How do you know if bubbles develops? Temp spikes? 3. Can I start OC'ing right...
Hardware & Devices
Used way too much thermal paste
This isn't that important, all it is is that I'm worried. It was my first time round putting thermal paste onto a cpu, and i sort of used an entire 3.5g syringe of arctic silver 5 underneath a zalman9700. Yes some did come over the sides, wiped it off, I'm guessing there is a layer inbetween...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App