Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New To Overclocking help!

28 May 2013   #131
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

You'll have to read the rebate terms. a lot of them just sen you a pre-paid VISA card for the amount.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 May 2013   #132
Quadrider10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
I think 38A will be fine for you, 38A=456 watts.
alright well i have room for upgrades like GPU/CPU
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2013   #133
Quadrider10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
You'll have to read the rebate terms. a lot of them just sen you a pre-paid VISA card for the amount.
thats not bad i guess. i can put it towards my cooler. then i will only have to put $10 in for that.

yea visa prepaid. :/ owell im buying it now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 May 2013   #134
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Lately rebate Cards I get are American Express, NOT VISA
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2013   #135
Quadrider10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Lately rebate Cards I get are American Express, NOT VISA
does it matter? lol i wish they would just put it back on your card.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2013   #136
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

they will take their sweet time getting the rebate to you too. Don't count on it soon and be sure you follow the instructions explicitly to submit it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2013   #137
Quadrider10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

i got time for the cooler. lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2013   #138
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
Quote:
Above, a chart of relative power consumption. Again the Wattage shown is the card with the GPU(s) stressed 100%, showing only the peak GPU power draw, not the power consumption of the entire PC and not the average gaming power consumption.

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 670 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 670 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
GeForce GTX 670 3x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 850 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
Remember, if you are going to overclock the GPUs or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. The minute you touch voltages on the CPU or GPUs, the power draw can rise real fast and extensively.
Taken directly from your 2nd link. I made my recommendation........I'm done
Before I read the 2 dozen replies above (I'm short on time at the moment), I want to explain these recommendations again: these are for peak-rated PSUs. I'll break it down:

A 500-550W peak-rated PSU would have a +12V capacity of about 360-396W, or 30-33A. That's what some good quality-made 400W PSUs have (i.e. continuous-rated PSUs).

A 700W peak-rated PSU would have a +12V capacity of about 504W, or 42A. That's the +12V capacity of many good quality-made 520-550W PSUs and even some 520-530W PSUs.

An 850W peak-rated PSU would have a +12V capacity of about 600W, or 50A. That's the +12V capacity of many good quality-made 620-650W PSUs. Actually, 624W or 52A is a more common +12V capacity for good quality-made 650W PSUs, but still.

So I stand by what I said and I will never back down. You can think that I'm wrong all you want and you can continue contradicting me all you want, but I know I'm right. If you want to prove it, then ask the PSU experts over at JonnyGURU.com. They don't know me yet (because I don't yet feel confident to be one of their equals), but I guarantee you that they will tell you that I'm right. So go ahead and ask them. If you don't want to ask them, then I would appreciate it if you would stop trying to tell me I'm wrong because I don't waste my time when I'm only 99% sure. I wait until I'm absolutely 100% sure.

Thank you in advance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2013   #139
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
alright well as much as i would love to get a good quality PSU, my budget just dosent allow me. after all, i still need to buy other stuffs. so im bricked between these:

Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply - Newegg.com
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply - Newegg.com
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply, New Version with Build-in LED Fan On/Off Switch - Newegg.com

the 450W one posted earlier, i dont think 450W will be "future proof" like i dont think that i will be able to upgrade parts and add fans etc later one without it stressing. i could be completely wrong tho.
I hate how this will sound, but I don't know of any other words to use: you are wrong. Although, this is a good thing, so it's not an insult or anything. I mean really, what are your future upgrades going to be? A GTX 660 Ti and maybe some extra fans, right? Fans don't pull enough power to make enough of a difference. You could power your future build (GTX 660 Ti) with a good quality-made 400W PSU and have room left over because the 660 Ti doesn't pull that much power, but the 450W unit I'm recommending is the best because of its price and its quality. It's overkill, but it's worth it. Plus, you could do extreme CPU overclocking if you wanted and still be fine.

Again, it's $62.98 after shipping for the 450W Rosewill CAPSTONE Series PSU

It's not modular, but it's much better than the CX500M because of its internal components. You get more stability and a longer PSU life as well as more confidence when overclocking.


Avoid Diablotek's PSUs at all costs.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Under budget, over powered, Japanese caps, lifetime warranty. I own a 600, 750 and a 1050 all are perfect for the rig's their in. Oh and Ultra owns the patent on modular design and their built buy others like most PSU's. For my no holds bared PSU's then it's Seasonic all the way buy you're now taking $130 and up.

Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Sleeved Cables, Matte Finish at TigerDirect.com
Ask any PSU expert and they will tell you that Ultra's LSP units are bad news. I've asked plenty of times over the past few years, and the answer is always the same: avoid, avoid, avoid.


Avoid Raidmax's PSUs too. Well, there are some exceptions, but they are very expensive exceptions.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
The only thing this PSU has going for it over the 450W Rosewill CAPSTONE Series PSU is its price after the rebate card (which takes 1 to 2 months to receive after sending in the request form) and the fact that it's modular. Otherwise, it's quite inferior. Its 500W rating is only good up to an internal PSU temperature of 30C due to the lower quality of its internal components while the Rosewill CAPSTONE's rating is up to 50C. That means that as the temperature goes above that, the wattage capacity goes down. So you'd get a 500W PSU that is only able to deliver 500W as long as its internal temperature stays under 30C. Go above that, and that 500W capacity begins to diminish along with the rising temps (fortunately, it's never permanent, it's only when the temperature exceeds that rating).

Speaking of wattage capacity, the +12V capacity of the CX500M is 456W. That's only 12W more than the 450W Rosewill CAPSTONE Series PSU because its +12V capacity is 444W. That's another indicator of the lower quality of the CX500M. This applies to ALL of the CX units except for the CX750 which is actually a decent unit.

However, I agree that modular PSUs are better. Once you experience a modular PSU, you'll wonder why anyone ever buys a non-modular one (unless the budget is just that tight).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2013   #140
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
Quote:
Above, a chart of relative power consumption. Again the Wattage shown is the card with the GPU(s) stressed 100%, showing only the peak GPU power draw, not the power consumption of the entire PC and not the average gaming power consumption.

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 670 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 670 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
GeForce GTX 670 3x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 850 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
Remember, if you are going to overclock the GPUs or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. The minute you touch voltages on the CPU or GPUs, the power draw can rise real fast and extensively.
Taken directly from your 2nd link. I made my recommendation........I'm done
Before I read the 2 dozen replies above (I'm short on time at the moment), I want to explain these recommendations again: these are for peak-rated PSUs. I'll break it down:

A 500-550W peak-rated PSU would have a +12V capacity of about 360-396W, or 30-33A. That's what some good quality-made 400W PSUs have (i.e. continuous-rated PSUs).

A 700W peak-rated PSU would have a +12V capacity of about 504W, or 42A. That's the +12V capacity of many good quality-made 520-550W PSUs and even some 520-530W PSUs.

An 850W peak-rated PSU would have a +12V capacity of about 600W, or 50A. That's the +12V capacity of many good quality-made 620-650W PSUs. Actually, 624W or 52A is a more common +12V capacity for good quality-made 650W PSUs, but still.

So I stand by what I said and I will never back down. You can think that I'm wrong all you want and you can continue contradicting me all you want, but I know I'm right. If you want to prove it, then ask the PSU experts over at JonnyGURU.com. They don't know me yet (because I don't yet feel confident to be one of their equals), but I guarantee you that they will tell you that I'm right. So go ahead and ask them. If you don't want to ask them, then I would appreciate it if you would stop trying to tell me I'm wrong because I don't waste my time when I'm only 99% sure. I wait until I'm absolutely 100% sure.

Thank you in advance.

I don't remember saying you were wrong.....I offered another opinion with valid reasons behind it. YOU seem to be the one preaching your opinion to the masses and calling blasphemy on all those who don't agree and it just hasn't been me you have tried to contradict. Get your own house in order before you come knocking on MY door.

"If you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, maybe you're the asshole." --R. Givens
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New To Overclocking help!




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Overclocking GPU
Hey Need some help overclocking my card using Afterburner,so after i saw this Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming review - Overclocking The Graphics Card i gave it a try to change the numbers on the sliders but the thing is they will not save for example when i set the Core clock to 150+ as...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Overclocking CPU
I have a really old CPU. (Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz) :P I just want to play around with my pc, and "tune" it a little :D Have a Asus P5N-D MoBo, and i have entered the BIOS several times, and i have learned it very well, and i know what i am doing. I have a option to overclock the system by : 5, 10,...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
overclocking and xmp ram help
Hi, i have tried a few times to overclock to about 3.4/3.6 but my system seems to be unstable. i did not try to mess with too many settings as i am trying to keep it relatively simple however i think the stumbling block may well be my ram as it is set to xmp in the bios. I have read a few threads...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Overclocking GPU
This is just a general question, If the bottleneck on your system is not your graphics card, lets say your ram or cpu is. ( i know this pry varies on the game or app running) Is it still gonna benifit you to overclock the gpu? (lets say on a game that is very gpu intensive) The reason...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
How To: Overclocking Your AMD Processor : Introduction: The Basics Of Overclocking
http://media.bestofmicro.com/CPU-AMD-Overclocking,9-J-180487-1.jpg http://media.bestofmicro.com/CPU-AMD-Overclocking,9-K-180488-1.jpg Tom’s Hardware readers know all about overclocking, of course. In fact, many processor and graphics card reviews would be deemed incomplete without coverage of...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App