Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New To Overclocking help!

12 Jun 2013   #191
Quadrider10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Max temps are lower too. Went from max 58C playing bf3 to 51C


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jun 2013   #192
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
Max temps are lower too. Went from max 58C playing bf3 to 51C
Nice

Also I found the Answer on why the VID changes when read through core temp it is because certain energy features have been put in place by via overclocking or using energy saving features like speed step

Intel does the same thing Quadrider this is exactly what I was talking about http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268278-29-confused
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2013   #193
ganjiry

Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

If you check my screenie of my cpu at stock it shows the VID changes between 0.938 and 1.425 while the vcore is totally different. When i oc my cpu and manually set the vcore the VID shows as its true 1.388v and stays the same no matter what vcore i use.
Different batches have different VID's and from what i gather a lower VID is better for overclocking as it results in lower temps, I think.


Attached Thumbnails
New To Overclocking help!-vid.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jun 2013   #194
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ganjiry View Post
If you check my screenie of my cpu at stock it shows the VID changes between 0.938 and 1.425 while the vcore is totally different. When i oc my cpu and manually set the vcore the VID shows as its true 1.388v and stays the same no matter what vcore i use.
Different batches have different VID's and from what i gather a lower VID is better for overclocking as it results in lower temps, I think.

yes and that is true too but the VID changes depending on the level of power needed for the frequency the VID in physical form is not supposed to change but it flexes according to CPUZ and it is supposed to jump .05 volts or more per overclocking
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2013   #195
ganjiry

Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

It all gets proper complicated when you dig a bit enit
Time for my bed Night folks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2013   #196
Quadrider10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

ran prime for 15 mins 2 times on 4 cores and 2 cores, and no crashing at 1.28V temps never went above 57C. at stock speeds and voltages, running prime for 5 mins brought me to 60C very fast. lol so i will call that a success.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2013   #197
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
ran prime for 15 mins 2 times on 4 cores and 2 cores, and no crashing at 1.28V temps never went above 57C. at stock speeds and voltages, running prime for 5 mins brought me to 60C very fast. lol so i will call that a success.
that is still hot for stock with prime damn I've only gotten to 60c+ @ 4.9 to 5 ghz that is too high for me even at those speeds I actually had 4.9 Ghz stable but I felt no need to push my chip that hard for little gains
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2013   #198
Quadrider10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
ran prime for 15 mins 2 times on 4 cores and 2 cores, and no crashing at 1.28V temps never went above 57C. at stock speeds and voltages, running prime for 5 mins brought me to 60C very fast. lol so i will call that a success.
that is still hot for stock with prime damn I've only gotten to 60c+ @ 4.9 to 5 ghz that is too high for me even at those speeds I actually had 4.9 Ghz stable but I felt no need to push my chip that hard for little gains
mmmm yea.... but its a big improvement over stock. while i was at it, i also set my RAM to 1T and its stable! lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2013   #199
Quadrider10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Nvm. Not stable on 2.8. Damn. Lol

1.30 it is though
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jun 2013   #200
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
well the VID is probably what you need to adjust but honestly I havn't messed with it much I changed it one time but it was more instead of less in your case i'm not sure how I would go about that generally

I would leave it alone but if your are persistent anyway google info on that

I think it is more for Overclocking purposes not sure about trying to use less voltage that should be with LLC but if you are using MSI then turn on APS automatic phase switching
The VID is just the Voltage Identification:

VID (Voltage Identification) Explained

So, it can't be changed. What needs to be changed, ultimately, is the core voltage. The core voltage isn't displayed by Core Temp or even by Real Temp, but it is displayed by programs like CPU-Z, HWMonitor, HWiNFO, etc. Adjusting other voltages can help too, but I'm trying to avoid opening a can of worms in this post in order to keep it short.

Now normally I would help, but being that this is an AMD system, I can't be of much help because I've never overclocked an AMD system nor have I ever helped anyone with one.
I have changed my VID before but it is under another name for the chip voltage when I showed the pic there is a setting in bios that will change it I seen it happen before

I'm not contradicting your post on VID but I seen mine change up to 1,4 with core temp
Each multiplier has its own VID, so you didn't change the VID. The only way to "change" the VID is by changing the multiplier.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
Max temps are lower too. Went from max 58C playing bf3 to 51C
Nice

Also I found the Answer on why the VID changes when read through core temp it is because certain energy features have been put in place by via overclocking or using energy saving features like speed step

Intel does the same thing Quadrider this is exactly what I was talking about Confused about CPU VID - CPUs - Overclocking
That's because the multiplier is changing. Each multiplier has its own VID, and so when the multiplier changes, so does the VID. Only, the VID isn't changing: only the displayed VID is changing because you're seeing the different VID for the different multiplier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New To Overclocking help!




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Overclocking GPU
Hey Need some help overclocking my card using Afterburner,so after i saw this Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming review - Overclocking The Graphics Card i gave it a try to change the numbers on the sliders but the thing is they will not save for example when i set the Core clock to 150+ as...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Overclocking CPU
I have a really old CPU. (Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz) :P I just want to play around with my pc, and "tune" it a little :D Have a Asus P5N-D MoBo, and i have entered the BIOS several times, and i have learned it very well, and i know what i am doing. I have a option to overclock the system by : 5, 10,...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
overclocking and xmp ram help
Hi, i have tried a few times to overclock to about 3.4/3.6 but my system seems to be unstable. i did not try to mess with too many settings as i am trying to keep it relatively simple however i think the stumbling block may well be my ram as it is set to xmp in the bios. I have read a few threads...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Overclocking GPU
This is just a general question, If the bottleneck on your system is not your graphics card, lets say your ram or cpu is. ( i know this pry varies on the game or app running) Is it still gonna benifit you to overclock the gpu? (lets say on a game that is very gpu intensive) The reason...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
How To: Overclocking Your AMD Processor : Introduction: The Basics Of Overclocking
http://media.bestofmicro.com/CPU-AMD-Overclocking,9-J-180487-1.jpg http://media.bestofmicro.com/CPU-AMD-Overclocking,9-K-180488-1.jpg Tom’s Hardware readers know all about overclocking, of course. In fact, many processor and graphics card reviews would be deemed incomplete without coverage of...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App