Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New To Overclocking help!


25 May 2013   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
New To Overclocking help!

ok so i just built my rig and i want to OC the CPU.

i have an AMD FX-4300 stock clocked at 3.8 base and 4.0 turbo, 95 watt tdp, and MSI 970a-g43 MOBO

my goal is to get the base to 4.0ghz and the turbo to 4.5ghz. though i have heard that this CPU can clock to 5ghz with no problems.

im still on stock cooler, but case gets plenty of air. so unless it gets too hot, then this is my goal. i want to keep the turbo on because i dont always need the full 4.5ghz all the time and i think it will keep the temps down a bit.

ive looked up what the temps should be and core temps should be under 62C and CPU under 70C

so with that said, where do i start? lol sorry for being so vague.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 May 2013   #2

 

I know you don't want to hear this, but it's not safe to overclock with that PSU powering your system. For that matter, it's not even good to have it powering your system at stock. It could die due to overclocking and if it dies, then it could kill your entire system. At worst, it could even start a fire, but of course that's a worst-case scenario. Still, I wouldn't recommend this PSU to even my worst enemy.

It's not due to a lack of power, it's due to the very low quality of the components inside of it as well as its low internal build quality. I'm sorry, but if you want to overclock, then this PSU has to be replaced with a good quality-made unit first. I don't want to see you lose your computer because of it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2013   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I know you don't want to hear this, but it's not safe to overclock with that PSU powering your system. For that matter, it's not even good to have it powering your system at stock. It could die due to overclocking and if it dies, then it could kill your entire system. At worst, it could even start a fire, but of course that's a worst-case scenario. Still, I wouldn't recommend this PSU to even my worst enemy.

It's not due to a lack of power, it's due to the very low quality of the components inside of it as well as its low internal build quality. I'm sorry, but if you want to overclock, then this PSU has to be replaced with a good quality-made unit first. I don't want to see you lose your computer because of it.
ya i know... its an upgrade for the future. i forgot to post before, that im not planning on OCing rite now. i wanna give it quite a while just to make sure everything is working 110% but i just want to learn how to so i know before i go in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 May 2013   #4

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I know you don't want to hear this, but it's not safe to overclock with that PSU powering your system. For that matter, it's not even good to have it powering your system at stock. It could die due to overclocking and if it dies, then it could kill your entire system. At worst, it could even start a fire, but of course that's a worst-case scenario. Still, I wouldn't recommend this PSU to even my worst enemy.

It's not due to a lack of power, it's due to the very low quality of the components inside of it as well as its low internal build quality. I'm sorry, but if you want to overclock, then this PSU has to be replaced with a good quality-made unit first. I don't want to see you lose your computer because of it.
ya i know... its an upgrade for the future. i forgot to post before, that im not planning on OCing rite now. i wanna give it quite a while just to make sure everything is working 110% but i just want to learn how to so i know before i go in.
Oh. Well, there's one other thing: if you run into any problems before overclocking, then it's probably caused by that PSU. This part of the computer is really that critical.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2013   #5

Windows 8.1 Pro | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quadrider10, your manaul shows all the BIOS options, read through them. Also read through this forum below, it has a wealth of information.

Overclock.net
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2013   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I know you don't want to hear this, but it's not safe to overclock with that PSU powering your system. For that matter, it's not even good to have it powering your system at stock. It could die due to overclocking and if it dies, then it could kill your entire system. At worst, it could even start a fire, but of course that's a worst-case scenario. Still, I wouldn't recommend this PSU to even my worst enemy.

It's not due to a lack of power, it's due to the very low quality of the components inside of it as well as its low internal build quality. I'm sorry, but if you want to overclock, then this PSU has to be replaced with a good quality-made unit first. I don't want to see you lose your computer because of it.
ya i know... its an upgrade for the future. i forgot to post before, that im not planning on OCing rite now. i wanna give it quite a while just to make sure everything is working 110% but i just want to learn how to so i know before i go in.
Oh. Well, there's one other thing: if you run into any problems before overclocking, then it's probably caused by that PSU. This part of the computer is really that critical.
none at all! only 1 BSOD since i built it and that was because i tried messing with the CPU fan control. i reset it an all was good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2013   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Quadrider10, your manaul shows all the BIOS options, read through them. Also read through this forum below, it has a wealth of information.

Overclock.net
thanks! will do!

now i know i can just choose the OC genie and let that do everything for me, but i want to do it my self. and i want those specific frequencies. also i doubt the genie will do much. probs only 1-300mhz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2013   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

You may want to use the genie and see what it nets you as well as real temps? Then you'll have some base lines to shoot for. Yes a proper OC should net slightly higher and hopefully lower voltages hence temps. Crucial to this process is the PSU's rail power supply as well as your CPU coolers capabilities. Lastly don't overclock unless you can afford to lose some components, it's like the stock market or gambling only risk what you can afford to lose.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2013   #9

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
You may want to use the genie and see what it nets you as well as real temps? Then you'll have some base lines to shoot for. Yes a proper OC should net slightly higher and hopefully lower voltages hence temps. Crucial to this process is the PSU's rail power supply as well as your CPU coolers capabilities. Lastly don't overclock unless you can afford to lose some components, it's like the stock market or gambling only risk what you can afford to lose.
sounds like a plan. if its sable and has no issues, then it should be close to 100% safe? also ive heard this cpu clocking to 4.8-5ghz and even 5.2 but no stable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2013   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Quadrider10 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
You may want to use the genie and see what it nets you as well as real temps? Then you'll have some base lines to shoot for. Yes a proper OC should net slightly higher and hopefully lower voltages hence temps. Crucial to this process is the PSU's rail power supply as well as your CPU coolers capabilities. Lastly don't overclock unless you can afford to lose some components, it's like the stock market or gambling only risk what you can afford to lose.
sounds like a plan. if its sable and has no issues, then it should be close to 100% safe? also ive heard this cpu clocking to 4.8-5ghz and even 5.2 but no stable.
Yeah those chips can bang out high clocks but yes that PSU might hurt you

I suggest getting a quality 550w or 600w atleast but as of now I know you have other things going on I will do my best to net you some deals on quality Psu's I know first hand how bad and dangerous PSU can be I had a quality one go bad and I have had a motherboard blow up before not from psu crappy board but still you don't want to go out like that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New To Overclocking help!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: New To Overclocking help!
Thread Forum
Overclocking CPU PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Help With Overclocking PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Overclocking - Which way to go? PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
i5 750 overclocking PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Overclocking CPU Help PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
OverClocking :D PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
How To: Overclocking Your AMD Processor : Introduction: The Basics Of Overclocking Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33