Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: So what's the word on upgrading to Haswell???

10 Jun 2013   #11
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Umm... you seemed to miss the quote brackets on my post.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Jun 2013   #12
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

There is nothing wrong with SB-E at all, first generation platform or not. It may be more than what you need, but that is between you and your wallet. Just so you know....Ivy Bridge-Extreme is going to be released in September, however, that may just muddy the waters for you lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2013   #13
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
There is nothing wrong with SB-E at all, first generation platform or not. It may be more than what you need, but that is between you and your wallet. Just so you know....Ivy Bridge-Extreme is going to be released in September, however, that may just muddy the waters for you lol.
Well, for the record I sometimes I think my current system is more than I need but...

Didn't even know about the extremes so yeah that may muddy the waters a little further. However if the pricing is a bit more than the 3930, I may well pass it by.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Jun 2013   #14
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Umm... you seemed to miss the quote brackets on my post.
Yea The other day the Forum timed out on me too

BTW Your system is a beast
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2013   #15
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Umm... you seemed to miss the quote brackets on my post.
Yea The other day the Forum timed out on me too

BTW Your system is a beast
Thanks. Which one? The one I'm planning on building, or the one in my system specs?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #16
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Umm... you seemed to miss the quote brackets on my post.
Yea The other day the Forum timed out on me too

BTW Your system is a beast
Thanks. Which one? The one I'm planning on building, or the one in my system specs?
Both your I7950 is still good and for the new one as well and the 6900 card is still kick azz too
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #17
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

LOL - Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the system but want to upgrade while I have the means to do so. I'll be going into cash strapped mode later and need to get this done while I have the chance.

Plus I have to replace my aging Q6600 system that the family uses as I think either the processor or motherboard is going.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #18
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
There is nothing wrong with SB-E at all, first generation platform or not. It may be more than what you need, but that is between you and your wallet. Just so you know....Ivy Bridge-Extreme is going to be released in September, however, that may just muddy the waters for you lol.
To really muddy the waters... The new Ivy Bridge-Es may also use TIM instead of solder between the chip and the heat spreader which means they might have the same heating problems as the regular Ivy Bridges and the new Haswells.

The system I have now should easily meet my needs for several years to come (it had better, after the small fortune I spent on it!).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #19
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Though I heard a lot about heating issues I'm not going to get caught up in the method Intel is using between the heat spreaders as I'm confident that'll be sorted, whichever way Intel chooses to go. Also overclocking isn't as big a deal to me as it once was so I figure if I stay within stock range, heat shouldn't be an issue. However that doesn't mean I'll completely ignore the issue though
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #20
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Though I heard a lot about heating issues I'm not going to get caught up in the method Intel is using between the heat spreaders as I'm confident that'll be sorted, whichever way Intel chooses to go. Also overclocking isn't as big a deal to me as it once was so I figure if I stay within stock range, heat shouldn't be an issue. However that doesn't mean I'll completely ignore the issue though
Hum for me though it is not just a matter of what they use they could even use use something like that Indigo Extreme or solid silver for that matter between the spreader and the chip. Whatever is used depends on how the devices are produced on a large scale - all very well in a lab but churned out on some certain countries production lines are sometimes one and two different matters.

One only has to look at car manufacturing for evidence of that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 So what's the word on upgrading to Haswell???




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
7ghz on Haswell
World Record: Haswell CPU Overclocked to 7193.8 MHz
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
P67 Equivalent for the New Haswell
I currently have an Asus P8P67 REV 3.1 motherboard that is great with my 3770k. I am looking into getting the new 4770K i7 which uses the new LGA 1150 socket. What would the P67 equivalent be for the new Haswell CPU? Please don't recommend any brands, just the chipset. I appreciate the...
Hardware & Devices
Haswell RAM issue
The Haswell has a much lower memory read than the Sandy Bridge and I wonder why. Any ideas? The Sandy is OC'ed to 4400 and the Haswell to 4200. The RAM is identical, GSkill Sniper 2133 2x4GB, but is OC'ed to 2200 in the Haswell, same timings, 9-11-10, 1.65V.
Hardware & Devices
Is it true with Haswell CPU you need a haswell ready PSU
I have heard people saying you need a Haswell Ready PSU or are people blowing it out of Proportion Reason i ask is i know Jake Sh*& about intel including Haswell
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Some Haswell info
I sent an inquiry to Jeffery of ASUS support about some comments he made in Newegg's review section. I expressed concern about why so many ASUS Z87 boards were being returned as DOA. Here is his interesting explanation. Please add your thoughts or knowledge. Hello Gary, Looks like when the...
Hardware & Devices
Haswell info
Don't know if anyone else has seen this but it is starting to look real good for the next build. Haswell: Cheat Sheet | TechRepublic
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:44.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App