Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: So what's the word on upgrading to Haswell???

11 Jun 2013   #21
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Well time will tell, and if the chip(s) have major heating issues, their be a recall or whatnot. Let not forget this issue popped up with the initial Sandy Bridge chips and was quickly resolved.

Bottom line things happen, but I'm sure they'll get resolved if need be. Anyway by the time I'm ready to purchase the jury will be out, and I'll then know which way to go.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jun 2013   #22
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Well, for the record, with Ivy Bridge it is not so much the thermal paste instead of solder, but the glue they use to hold down the heat spreader. It is very thick and keeps the IHS from making contact with the die. That said, the heat with Ivy Bridge is really no problem unless you are running stress tests. It gets real hot then, but in normal usage it is no hotter than Sandy Bridge. I have both, and my Ivy Bridge has never gone over 55 in gaming or anything else other than Prime95. Now, Prime95 will get it really up there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #23
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Well time will tell, and if the chip(s) have major heating issues, their be a recall or whatnot. Let not forget this issue popped up with the initial Sandy Bridge chips and was quickly resolved...
Sandy or Ivy?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jun 2013   #24
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Well, for the record, with Ivy Bridge it is not so much the thermal paste instead of solder, but the glue they use to hold down the heat spreader. It is very thick and keeps the IHS from making contact with the die. That said, the heat with Ivy Bridge is really no problem unless you are running stress tests. It gets real hot then, but in normal usage it is no hotter than Sandy Bridge. I have both, and my Ivy Bridge has never gone over 55 in gaming or anything else other than Prime95. Now, Prime95 will get it really up there.
This is 100% correct. Sandy Bridge was such a great OC'er because you could just pour on the voltage and the CPU didn't care. Ivy Bridge was still a great OC'er but you had to keep an eye on things because the chip reacted to voltage changes with more heat output than Sandy Bridge. I thought Intel would go back to the SB IHS configuration for Haswell, but it probably cost them an extra half of a cent so they decided against it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #25
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Well, for the record, with Ivy Bridge it is not so much the thermal paste instead of solder, but the glue they use to hold down the heat spreader. Yes Steve and using what solder?? it brings back memories of working with the stuff many years ago during my plumbing days and early electronics and the problem with lead particularly.
Now I know solder has changed over the years but I still have it in my mind that to use it one requires a flux - or used to and that caused as much damage as the application of the heat to combine the two surfaces - down the track of course. The new solder still use different metals which I find a tad concerning because if not just for the disposal problem. I did also notice one reference that some solder 'compounds" are known to dissolve gold. Now form my limited knowledge of physics gold is usually only able to be dissolved by some VERY nasty and toxic materials.

Sandy or Ivy? Well for the record my Sandy boots and runs a tad faster than Ivy does - shes a bit of a slouch
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #26
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Well time will tell, and if the chip(s) have major heating issues, their be a recall or whatnot. Let not forget this issue popped up with the initial Sandy Bridge chips and was quickly resolved...
Sandy or Ivy?
I thought it was Sandy, it could have been Ivy. If I'm wrong let me know, I've no problem there

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #27
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

It was Sandy, but the problem was the boards. Unless you're talking about something I'm not aware of. They had to recall all of the P67 boards, that's where the B3 version came from. B3 means fixed, why I have no idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #28
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

It was something to do with a set of the Intel SATA ports if I remember correctly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #29
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
It was Sandy, but the problem was the boards. Unless you're talking about something I'm not aware of. They had to recall all of the P67 boards, that's where the B3 version came from. B3 means fixed, why I have no idea.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
It was something to do with a set of the Intel SATA ports if I remember correctly.
Well there was the SATA issue with the motherboard, but the was also the issue of the chips overheating as well. Perhaps I have my time frames mixed.

Anyway it's a moot point since both those issues were ultimately resolved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2013   #30
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
It was Sandy, but the problem was the boards. Unless you're talking about something I'm not aware of. They had to recall all of the P67 boards, that's where the B3 version came from. B3 means fixed, why I have no idea.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
It was something to do with a set of the Intel SATA ports if I remember correctly.
Well there was the SATA issue with the motherboard, but the was also the issue of the chips overheating as well. Perhaps I have my time frames mixed.

Anyway it's a moot point since both those issues were ultimately resolved.
True
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 So what's the word on upgrading to Haswell???




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
7ghz on Haswell
World Record: Haswell CPU Overclocked to 7193.8 MHz
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
P67 Equivalent for the New Haswell
I currently have an Asus P8P67 REV 3.1 motherboard that is great with my 3770k. I am looking into getting the new 4770K i7 which uses the new LGA 1150 socket. What would the P67 equivalent be for the new Haswell CPU? Please don't recommend any brands, just the chipset. I appreciate the...
Hardware & Devices
Haswell RAM issue
The Haswell has a much lower memory read than the Sandy Bridge and I wonder why. Any ideas? The Sandy is OC'ed to 4400 and the Haswell to 4200. The RAM is identical, GSkill Sniper 2133 2x4GB, but is OC'ed to 2200 in the Haswell, same timings, 9-11-10, 1.65V.
Hardware & Devices
Is it true with Haswell CPU you need a haswell ready PSU
I have heard people saying you need a Haswell Ready PSU or are people blowing it out of Proportion Reason i ask is i know Jake Sh*& about intel including Haswell
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Some Haswell info
I sent an inquiry to Jeffery of ASUS support about some comments he made in Newegg's review section. I expressed concern about why so many ASUS Z87 boards were being returned as DOA. Here is his interesting explanation. Please add your thoughts or knowledge. Hello Gary, Looks like when the...
Hardware & Devices
Haswell info
Don't know if anyone else has seen this but it is starting to look real good for the next build. Haswell: Cheat Sheet | TechRepublic
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App