Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I think I cooked my computer and I might need new parts.

14 Jun 2013   #11
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Is this your laptop?

Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

Or this,

Product Support for alienware M14x | Dell US


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Jun 2013   #12
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cardboardo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Agreed KB run Speccy and let us know what the temps are mate

Speccy - Download

Hum a memtest would not go amiss either RAM - Test with Memtest86+
When I run Speccy, it "unexpectedly quits".
I think it's possible to check temps using throttlestop.

It seems like my maximum CPU temp is around 79 degrees C, but I'm not in a game or anything.
Well the Tjunction for that CPU is 100C max but even so if you are not gaming I think that temp is a little on the warm side for my liking anyway. Plus if you have OCing then it may have well pushed it close to it's limit.
But I stand to be corrected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2013   #13
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Hum I just noticed too that CPU can take on 16GB RAM and you have 6GB was there any reason why you have the 6GB instead of say 8GB and I still would be interested in that memtest.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jun 2013   #14
bobafetthotmail

Win 7 Pro 64-bit 7601
 
 

what about re-enabling all cooling features and remove the OC (by bringing the OC to normal with the utilities if you were using utilities, don't uninstall them)? Then you can start again with something less aggressive, and buy a good laptop cooling pad (the bigger the fan is the better).

If you really want hardcore OC you need to make holes place more fans
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2013   #15
Cardboardo

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobafetthotmail View Post
what about re-enabling all cooling features and remove the OC (by bringing the OC to normal with the utilities if you were using utilities, don't uninstall them)? Then you can start again with something less aggressive, and buy a good laptop cooling pad (the bigger the fan is the better).

If you really want hardcore OC you need to make holes place more fans
When I said it overheats sometimes, I mean pretty rarely. Even if BP Prochot is disabled, will high temps reduce performance?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2013   #16
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

A laptop isn`t made for gaming, and is not meant to be overclocked.

They get hot enough on their own.

Just my 2 cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2013   #17
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cardboardo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobafetthotmail View Post
what about re-enabling all cooling features and remove the OC (by bringing the OC to normal with the utilities if you were using utilities, don't uninstall them)? Then you can start again with something less aggressive, and buy a good laptop cooling pad (the bigger the fan is the better).

If you really want hardcore OC you need to make holes place more fans
When I said it overheats sometimes, I mean pretty rarely. Even if BP Prochot is disabled, will high temps reduce performance?
Plus for mine - YEP!! Think of it like running a car with a faulty thermostat the engine get so hot the components parts expand and lose efficiency by losing compression dropping oil pressure etc etc because they are designed to operate within certain limits for efficiency..So with electronic stuff conductivity is lost by components being hotter than ambient or super cooled / temps / circumstances just as an example.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2013   #18
bobafetthotmail

Win 7 Pro 64-bit 7601
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cardboardo View Post
When I said it overheats sometimes, I mean pretty rarely. Even if BP Prochot is disabled, will high temps reduce performance?
High temps dramatically reduce lifespan as components cook off over time, solder may melt in the heatspots and disconnect components (thus break the laptop) and you possibly risk to make your battery catch fire (depending on where it is located, if it is close to heat sources you are).
I had seen all three kinds of damage. It is usually either too expensive or impossible to repair.

Besides, most of the power-saving features shouldn't have a horribly negative impact on performance. When performance is required by a program everything is throttled to 100% regardless.
Power-saving stuff should have an impact on idle and light-medium load temperatures only.

A laptop cooling pad (with large fan) should help greatly reduce temps while keeping silence. I had a few gaming laptops temp reduced by up to 10 C just with a good cooling pad.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2013   #19
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobafetthotmail View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cardboardo View Post
When I said it overheats sometimes, I mean pretty rarely. Even if BP Prochot is disabled, will high temps reduce performance?
High temps dramatically reduce lifespan as components cook off over time, solder may melt in the heatspots and disconnect components (thus break the laptop) and you possibly risk to make your battery catch fire (depending on where it is located, if it is close to heat sources you are).
I had seen all three kinds of damage. It is usually either too expensive or impossible to repair.

Besides, most of the power-saving features shouldn't have a horribly negative impact on performance. When performance is required by a program everything is throttled to 100% regardless.
Power-saving stuff should have an impact on idle and light-medium load temperatures only.

A laptop cooling pad (with large fan) should help greatly reduce temps while keeping silence. I had a few gaming laptops temp reduced by up to 10 C just with a good cooling pad.
Agreed Bob and plus I always have a piece of filter material over the intake for the fan as the thing sits so close to tops and more so on laps.
Might be a good time to check out the state of the inside of the thing at least that is what I would be doing. Just out of interest as Derek asked what model is it??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2013   #20
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Cardboardo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
If you aren't getting freezes/crashes or blue screens, your laptop could just need a good cleaning. What EXACTLY is happening?
No freezing or crashing, I've just noticed that over time I've lost a good amount of framerate in games that I used to get a near perfect framerate in. I re-installed windows about three months ago, so it isn't like I have no memory. You might be right about cleaning. Any idea how I would go about this?
On a regular basis you need to clean any computer as they really are great room heaters and air cleaners. I would determine the intake (bottom) and exhaust (side) and then with the unit turned off you can place a vacuum over the exhaust sealing it as well as you can with your hand or tape or nothing. Then take compressed air and with short intense blasts shoot air into the intake. The can of air will get cold and loose pressure so keep the vacuum running and allow it to pull dust bunnies out then repeat when the can of air warms. I would recommend this be done in 6 month intervals or sooner if left on for long periods, high dust or animals are present !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I think I cooked my computer and I might need new parts.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Old computer needs new parts!
Hi guys I hope this is the right place to ask this! My girl's computer is getting old and could use some new parts. She has a budget of 400$ all for all. Here is her actual computer via Speccy. I'll let the gurus, or atleast, the guys that know this kind of stuff, help me find good...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Computer parts
I am planning to try a build in a little while but I don't know many places in the UK where I can obtain the hardware and items needed for building myself. So are there some of the UK members that could please advise me of places to buy the gear and at reasonable prices?:)
Hardware & Devices
Are these new computer parts capable with each other?
So im doing my first build on my computer soon and i came here do that i can get help from you guys if these parts a compatible with each other and also if all my parts will work at its fullest potential such as the GPU etc... I hope im not bottlenecking and staying at the right place :) Im new...
General Discussion
computer parts shops
hi can anyone tell me as many computer parts shops in the UK or deliver, to the UK as they can please trying to help a friend out building his pc as cheap as possible thanks.
General Discussion
Best computer parts store?
I need a store with a wide range of items or an order-in option, also a store with low prices is also needed. Thanks in advance
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:45.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App