Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: i5-4670K or i7-4770K?

View Poll Results: Which one is better for my situation?
i5-4670K 1 5.56%
i7-4770K 17 94.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

22 Aug 2013   #11
TheShadbusher

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Also, right now it takes me a couple of hours to render about 25 minutes of 1080p video with this Pentium D 3.4 GHz.

Any idea how long it would take to render about 25 minutes of 1080p video with the i7?

EDIT: It's getting late around where I live. I'll check back tomorrow.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Aug 2013   #12
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheShadbusher View Post
Also, right now it takes me a couple of hours to render about 25 minutes of 1080p video with this Pentium D 3.4 GHz.

Any idea how long it would take to render about 25 minutes of 1080p video with the i7?
If you use software that takes advantage of Quick Sync video, it should take a minute or two, maybe less. If you haven't committed to a platform yet, I'll go ahead and tell you that an i7-3770K and a Z77 motherboard may be the better option. I'm usually one that recommends the newest platform available, but I'm not sold on Haswell yet. Ivy Bridge will still be so much faster than what you are using now, it'll absolutely blow your hair back. What do you have in mind for the rest of your build? Do you have a budget you need to stick to?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2013   #13
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheShadbusher View Post
Also, right now it takes me a couple of hours to render about 25 minutes of 1080p video with this Pentium D 3.4 GHz.

Any idea how long it would take to render about 25 minutes of 1080p video with the i7?
If you use software that takes advantage of Quick Sync video, it should take a minute or two, maybe less. If you haven't committed to a platform yet, I'll go ahead and tell you that an i7-3770K and a Z77 motherboard may be the better option. I'm usually one that recommends the newest platform available, but I'm not sold on Haswell yet. Ivy Bridge will still be so much faster than what you are using now, it'll absolutely blow your hair back. What do you have in mind for the rest of your build? Do you have a budget you need to stick to?

Yea Kelly I didn't want to mention this too the Op but I feel the 3770k right now is the more bang for your buck and there a little cheaper and better at overclocking from what I have been seeing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Aug 2013   #14
TheShadbusher

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

I'm cool with using a 3rd gen i7; I was just trying to get the newest, mostly top-of-the-line parts so I could use my computer for years.

Because people were wondering, here's my build so far, and I'd love to keep it under $1500, but the lower the better:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheShadbusher/saved/2ex9

With the 3770K and the Z77:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheShadbusher/saved/2eFr
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2013   #15
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

If you are going with Ivy Bridge, here's what I would get:

i7-3770k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo---Unless you want to go to a closed loop water cooling system
Asus Sabertooth Z77---Or any other good Asus Z77 board
2x8GB RAM kit @ 1600MHz---If you aren't doing heavy rendering you can get away with an 8GB kit
Nvidia GTX 760 Video Card---Don't SLI low-mid level graphics cards, a higher end card will always work and perform better than 2 lower end cards
Samsung 840 SSD---Either get this, or the 840 Pro/Evo model for your OS, Programs and applications
Seagate 2-3 TB HDD---Use this for your storage of documents, pictures, videos, music, etc
SeaSonic X650 Gold/660XP2---Either one on sale is about $100 and extremely high quality(don't skimp on your power supply)<--- Really just a placeholder as anything high quality will work.

Your case of course is more personal, but get something with 120/140mm fan mounts and good airflow. Corsair, Fractal Design, Antec, and NZXT all make great cases.
If you have to buy fans, NEVER buy fans less than 120mm. Fans smaller than that have no business in a modern PC anymore. Most of the time, you can buy fans after you build the PC(if you need them)


Just eyeballing, that looks to be under $1500 give or take.......of course that is always subject to change.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2013   #16
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

For only $80 more ? I would definitely get the i7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2013   #17
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

This comparison review here can help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2013   #18
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
This comparison review here can help!
In my own "very professional" testing I agree on the max OC on the 4670K is 4200.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2013   #19
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Hmm no great expert but have just stuck the Coolermaster Hyper 612 in my Ivy after the Intel LC failed and it is holding rock steady.

As for the rendering and stuff I am a dunce but if I were up for the money I would go with Solar and stick with the i7 Ivy B.

For RAM try the G Skill forum Tradesman is really good at advising what to configure it with once you have chosen the board of course. Welcome to the G.SKILL TECH FORUM
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2013   #20
TheShadbusher

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Hmm no great expert but have just stuck the Coolermaster Hyper 612 in my Ivy after the Intel LC failed and it is holding rock steady.

As for the rendering and stuff I am a dunce but if I were up for the money I would go with Solar and stick with the i7 Ivy B.

For RAM try the G Skill forum Tradesman is really good at advising what to configure it with once you have chosen the board of course. Welcome to the G.SKILL TECH FORUM
Thanks, but I don't need help with RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 i5-4670K or i7-4770K?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Core i7 4770K Cooler
Hi all need to find a good i7 cooler for 4770k 3.5ghz "Haswell" CPU after searching a few site's found a PH-TC12DX recommended for the i7 ??? any forts because I also see this unit is compatible with socket lg775 witch I currently use with a arctic freezer 7 pro rev.2 could I not use this...
Hardware & Devices
Memory for Z87 sabertooth/i1-4770k?
I can't seem to get the memory right for my update build (have changed my mind many times). What I want is; 16gig DDR3 2x8 gig OR 4x4gig. I want to purchase from HERE. Budget $200 to $300 AUD Can I use 2400 or 2133mhz? Do not want to manual overclock (mess with Voltages Etc.) Want to use...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
hidden cpu cores on a i7 4770K
for some reason my new build only reports 2 cores and 4 threads inside cpuz my mobo is a asus vi hero. it should show up as 4 core 8 thread but it isnt. any fixes
Hardware & Devices
Need advice on OCing my 4670K
I am most interested in overclocking my CPU which is currently running at the stock 3.4GHz. I would like to get it in the range of 4GHz if possible. My main problem is that I am a complete noob and have no idea how to go about this. I'm afraid that I will do something retarded and screw up my PC....
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Best program to monitor intel i5 4670k CPU temps.
Is there a program to monitor the Intel 4th generation processors that's pretty accurate? or am I better off checking the temps in the motherboard Bios? I'm using the latest version of Core Temp but, it reads about 10 degrees (C.) cooler than what the bios reads. which is 38-40 in bios and 28-32 in...
Software
C1E,C3,C6/7 BSODs with new 4770k
Hey guys, Just got a Z87x-UD3H and a 4770k and I am having a lot of problems with C1E,C3,C6/7. EIST is working fine, but having ANY of the above enabled causes random BSODs (1e,3b,d1,0a,50,24,19) the windows desktop manager to crash, and rarely the video driver. If ALL of the options are...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App