Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need Help Determining UPS VA/Watts


12 Sep 2013   #1

Windows 8 64bit
 
 
Need Help Determining UPS VA/Watts

I need help to determine the correct VA/watts I should be getting for my system. Here are my system specs:

i7 4770k OC to 4ghz.
Corsair AX760w PSU
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
EVGA GTX 770 Classified ACX 4GB
Asus Maximus VI Formula
Samsung Evo 840 1TB SSD
Kingston Beast Series 16GB 2400mhz OC to 2800mhz
Windows 8 64bit
Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker
Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2 Silentwings CPU cooler
Asus 23' LED 144hz Monitor

I was thinking of getting this, but wasn't sure if it was enough. Amazon.com : Cyberpower CP900AVR UPS - 900VA/560W AVR 8-Outlet RJ11/RJ45/Coax Tower EMI/RFI USB : Electronics I just need enough turn to time off my computer incase of a power outage.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Sep 2013   #2
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64
 
 

I should say, you'll need at least a 1200VA/750W UPS to be confortable and protected from micro-power outage.

My local store recommended me that much for my own config with 700w PSU. Some says aswell to the set multiplier x1.5 the PSU wattage.

So for me it was at least for a 700w PSU x 1.5 => 1050VA (off-line model) + the components that will be used with, made that 1200VA/750W and should let me around 15mn to 20mn to save & turn off the PC if idle, when in game or full load it will be around 8mn.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2013   #3

Windows 8 64bit
 
 

So for the one from Amazon that I linked. Would it not give me enough time to even turn off the computer? What I'm saying is, if I use that one and there is a power outrage would my computer just turn off since there wouldn't be enough watts from the back up battery?

And my watt usage wouldn't be maxed out at 760w I don't think. Maybe around 450-550w during gaming?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Sep 2013   #4
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ecko69x View Post
So for the one from Amazon that I linked. Would it not give me enough time to even turn off the computer? What I'm saying is, if I use that one and there is a power outrage would my computer just turn off since there wouldn't be enough watts from the back up battery?
900VA/560W UPS will give time to save and turn off, but the main problem is when too much components hardware are plugged in the UPS that could make it weaker.

1200VA/750W or 720W UPS could do it better to handle the load..

Let's say that if you're in game in case of power outage, 900VA might be quite limited. It could handle it if when power outage when PC idle.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2013   #5

Windows 8 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ecko69x View Post
So for the one from Amazon that I linked. Would it not give me enough time to even turn off the computer? What I'm saying is, if I use that one and there is a power outrage would my computer just turn off since there wouldn't be enough watts from the back up battery?
900VA/560W UPS will give time to save and turn off, but the main problem is when too much components hardware are plugged in the UPS that could make it weaker.

1200VA/750W or 720W UPS could do it better to handle the load..

Let's say that if you're in game in case of power outage, 900VA might be quite limited. It could handle it if when power outage when PC idle.
Oh okay, I understand what you are getting at now. I guess something like this should be more than sufficient: http://www.amazon.ca/CyberPower-CP13...s=CP1350AVRLCD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2013   #6
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ecko69x View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ecko69x View Post
So for the one from Amazon that I linked. Would it not give me enough time to even turn off the computer? What I'm saying is, if I use that one and there is a power outrage would my computer just turn off since there wouldn't be enough watts from the back up battery?
900VA/560W UPS will give time to save and turn off, but the main problem is when too much components hardware are plugged in the UPS that could make it weaker.

1200VA/750W or 720W UPS could do it better to handle the load..

Let's say that if you're in game in case of power outage, 900VA might be quite limited. It could handle it if when power outage when PC idle.
Oh okay, I understand what you are getting at now. I guess something like this should be more than sufficient: http://www.amazon.ca/CyberPower-CP13...s=CP1350AVRLCD
Yes, could be the one you need!

and this one either: Cyberpower CP1200AVR UPS - 1200VA/720W AVR 8-Outlet RJ11/RJ45/Coax Tower EMI/RFI USB/Serial, (a little cheaper on price).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2013   #7

Windows 8 64bit
 
 

Thank you for your fast response and assistance to my thread. It was very helpful and informative.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2013   #8
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ecko69x View Post
Thank you for your fast response and assistance to my thread. It was very helpful and informative.
You're welcome!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2013   #9

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I cheated. Instead of trying to figure out how much I needed, I just got the biggest one I could find (I did wait until it went on sale). With my computer and monitor plugged in and running, it has 116 minutes of runtime. I have it set to hibernate my computer five minutes after a power outage. Since it takes 24 hours to recharge the batteries if they are fully discharged, that ensures sufficient power will be left in case of multiple power outages in a day (such as we had off and on for a couple of weeks or so last summer before the problem was finally tracked down).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Sep 2013   #10
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I cheated. Instead of trying to figure out how much I needed, I just got the biggest one I could find (I did wait until it went on sale). With my computer and monitor plugged in and running, it has 116 minutes of runtime. I have it set to hibernate my computer five minutes after a power outage. Since it takes 24 hours to recharge the batteries if they are fully discharged, that ensures sufficient power will be left in case of multiple power outages in a day (such as we had off and on for a couple of weeks or so last summer before the problem was finally tracked down).
That's smart but also quite expensive solution...those damn UPS are not that cheaper, i recon!

The most i'll afford will be for a 1600VA which is far enough for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need Help Determining UPS VA/Watts




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Need Help Determining UPS VA/Watts
Thread Forum
CPU, GPU and/or RAM -- (?) Determining which is bottleneck Hardware & Devices
Solved How many watts would my pc need? help!!? Hardware & Devices
PS unit ~ how many watts for 8GB ddr3 1333 ? Hardware & Devices
Cpu watts???? Need input. Hardware & Devices
Using gpu without enough watts? Graphic Cards
psu watts help General Discussion
Solved monitor watts Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33