Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Official Seven Forums Overclock Leader boards [2]

18 Nov 2013   #581
crankypenguin

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I have actually noticed that it might be my PSU that is holding back my green overclock. You see after I make an atĚtemp at 5 and reboot, first thing I do is go into PC Health Monitor and I notice that my main 12V rail is dipping below 12, like a 11.989. It may just mean I need a stronger PSU, but then again I do have a lot of hard drives in my case ( 8 ) and fans ( 11 ) 6x120mm 2x220mm 2x140mm 1x40mm. It's a 650watt modular, I figured with a 95 watt cpu and my gtx 660 isn't power hungry it wouldn't be an issue.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Nov 2013   #582
ganjiry

Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
I have actually noticed that it might be my PSU that is holding back my green overclock. You see after I make an atĚtemp at 5 and reboot, first thing I do is go into PC Health Monitor and I notice that my main 12V rail is dipping below 12, like a 11.989. It may just mean I need a stronger PSU, but then again I do have a lot of hard drives in my case ( 8 ) and fans ( 11 ) 6x120mm 2x220mm 2x140mm 1x40mm. It's a 650watt modular, I figured with a 95 watt cpu and my gtx 660 isn't power hungry it wouldn't be an issue.
If i remember rightly aslong as your 12v isn't dropping by more than 5% then all is good and yours is just varying slightly like any psu. All psu voltages will vary slightly chap. Here's some more info regarding psu tolerences Power Supply Voltage Tolerances
5Ghz is really pushing that Fx 6100 mind What issues are you having and what kind of voltage are you trying for the 5GHz?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2013   #583
crankypenguin

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ganjiry View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
I have actually noticed that it might be my PSU that is holding back my green overclock. You see after I make an atĚtemp at 5 and reboot, first thing I do is go into PC Health Monitor and I notice that my main 12V rail is dipping below 12, like a 11.989. It may just mean I need a stronger PSU, but then again I do have a lot of hard drives in my case ( 8 ) and fans ( 11 ) 6x120mm 2x220mm 2x140mm 1x40mm. It's a 650watt modular, I figured with a 95 watt cpu and my gtx 660 isn't power hungry it wouldn't be an issue.
If i remember rightly aslong as your 12v isn't dropping by more than 5% then all is good and yours is just varying slightly like any psu. All psu voltages will vary slightly chap. Here's some more info regarding psu tolerences Power Supply Voltage Tolerances
5Ghz is really pushing that Fx 6100 mind What issues are you having and what kind of voltage are you trying for the 5GHz?
Ok. I run my rig on a 22x200 , [+0.150V]24/7 , and that is stable with temps around 20C, 25 at load. When I do my OC runs, I raise the voltage up to [+.200]. I can get it stable on that up to around 4.7. I Updated my bios a few days ago and it seems my system became even more stable temps even lower ( checked with with (k type thermocouple). Yesterday when I ran the 4.8 OC I dared to raise the voltage to [+.225] with a multiplier of 24x200. Ran prime, temps never went above 38~39, no workers deserted me. Now I insinuate that If I spike it to [+.250] I might be able to boot into 5ghz~. that is also the issue, if the computer does not like the settings I input, it simply says ....Loading Operating System and it gets stuck with 3 little dots...I assume the beginning of that little butterfly. I am including 3 pics. 1st pic is my 4.4 normal daily use, second pic is what I used to get 4.8( even though it says 1.512 in the bios, you can see on the validation screen it never went above 1.48~) and third pic is what I would like to try to get to 5.

P.S I Image Googled *FX-6100 5ghz overclock cpu-z* and I saw quite a few validations of it @ 5 with V ar 1.512....they all seemed to have that .512 ending, maybe its the sweet spot for the highest it can do. I am not worried about temps, I have that covered. So what do you think ganjiry? (To be honest, when I bought this chip, I didn't think it would overclock past 3.8-3.9)


Attached Thumbnails
Official Seven Forums Overclock Leader boards [2]-001.jpg   Official Seven Forums Overclock Leader boards [2]-002.jpg   Official Seven Forums Overclock Leader boards [2]-003.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Nov 2013   #584
ganjiry

Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

I had a feeling you were using offset voltages and I have no clue about offset overclocking as it's something I'm literally just about to start looking into. So I can't help you in that area. sorry chap. Solar maybe able to help you more in that department.
If the highest vcore you have seen is 1.48v then I would say it's not enough for 5Ghz and if it's freezing at the Windows logo sound's like too little vcore, the maximum should not exceed 1.55v.
What are your HT Link and Cpu/Nb frequencies and Cpu/Nb voltage?
How are you cooling the cpu to see a temp of less than 40c during prime?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2013   #585
crankypenguin

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ganjiry View Post
I had a feeling you were using offset voltages and I have no clue about offset overclocking as it's something I'm literally just about to start looking into. So I can't help you in that area. sorry chap. Solar maybe able to help you more in that department.
If the highest vcore you have seen is 1.48v then I would say it's not enough for 5Ghz and if it's freezing at the Windows logo sound's like too little vcore, the maximum should not exceed 1.55v.
What are your HT Link and Cpu/Nb frequencies and Cpu/Nb voltage?
How are you cooling the cpu to see a temp of less than 40c during prime?

I use a thermaltake 2.0 pro, computer next to window, window is open, this is Poland, below freezing outside. Here are some screens that should give you what you asked for. I did OC the FSB way, but my CPU was not as happy as when I do it this way. I spiked it to 4.5 for these screens @ [+.175] When I overclocked to 4.8, the Normal CPU VCORE on the bottom of the last pic was around 1.44~V


Attached Thumbnails
Official Seven Forums Overclock Leader boards [2]-001.jpg   Official Seven Forums Overclock Leader boards [2]-002.jpg   Official Seven Forums Overclock Leader boards [2]-003.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2013   #586
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Offset with AMD is Different then Intel

Intel you use offset and turbo together

You can do the same thing with AMD actually but you would need to calculate the 5GHZ turbo numbers from the overclock you have in place like 4.5 ghz turbo to 5ghz

I have read about it never tried it though some people get turbo going on good numbers too

I would try it amd 6100 turbo clock - Overclockers Forums


This would net you a high oc with lower voltage
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2013   #587
ganjiry

Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
I use a thermaltake 2.0 pro, computer next to window, window is open, this is Poland, below freezing outside. Here are some screens that should give you what you asked for. I did OC the FSB way, but my CPU was not as happy as when I do it this way. I spiked it to 4.5 for these screens @ [+.175] When I overclocked to 4.8, the Normal CPU VCORE on the bottom of the last pic was around 1.44~V
Ah no wonder your temp's are so good
Having looked at your bios pic's again I see it's not offset oveclocking as such but just a different way of showing the settings.
With your current settings what does your vcore drop to when under load? For 4.5ghz you wouldn't want it to drop below about 1.428v-1.440v while under load but all cpu's are different so it could be higher or lower.
Does your motherboard have any settings for load-line calibration?
Try setting your Cpu/nb to 2400Mhz,
Set the Cpu/nb voltage to manual and set it so it read's 1.225 ish volts.
set the Cpu Host clock control to manual and set 200.
Apart from that your setting's look ok but your vcore may need to be increased depending on what it's reading under load.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2013   #588
crankypenguin

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

LLC it has 3 settings, Auto , HIGH and EXTREME, with either HIGH or EXTREME on cpu-z my cpu voltage is maxed out nonstop at whatever setting I set in bios. Plus when using LLC I get a lot of BSOD's :/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2013   #589
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

You should check out gigabytes OC program

For AMD my LLC was Med to High anything higher would BSOD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2013   #590
crankypenguin

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ganjiry View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
I use a thermaltake 2.0 pro, computer next to window, window is open, this is Poland, below freezing outside. Here are some screens that should give you what you asked for. I did OC the FSB way, but my CPU was not as happy as when I do it this way. I spiked it to 4.5 for these screens @ [+.175] When I overclocked to 4.8, the Normal CPU VCORE on the bottom of the last pic was around 1.44~V
Ah no wonder your temp's are so good
Having looked at your bios pic's again I see it's not offset oveclocking as such but just a different way of showing the settings.
With your current settings what does your vcore drop to when under load? For 4.5ghz you wouldn't want it to drop below about 1.428v-1.440v while under load but all cpu's are different so it could be higher or lower.
Does your motherboard have any settings for load-line calibration?
Try setting your Cpu/nb to 2400Mhz,
Set the Cpu/nb voltage to manual and set it so it read's 1.225 ish volts.
set the Cpu Host clock control to manual and set 200.
Apart from that your setting's look ok but your vcore may need to be increased depending on what it's reading under load.
By this *Try setting your Cpu/nb to 2400Mhz* you mean CPU Northbright Frequency below the multiplier? Because I once set that to 2600mhz and I had to manually reset cmos with the two pins
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Official Seven Forums Overclock Leader boards [2]




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Official Seven Forums Overclock Leader boards
The Official Seven Forums Overclock Leaderboards After some discussions between several members, I have created a new leaderboards thread. Obviously there is still the http://www.sevenforums.com/pc-custom-builds-overclocking/251850-post-your-overclock-2-a-73.html thread, but I thought it would...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Home Security Shootout: Which Watchdog is Leader of the Pack?
Read more at: Maximum PC | Home Security Shootout: Which Watchdog is Leader of the Pack?
Chillout Room
Apple the new world leader in software insecurity
Source - Apple the new world leader in software insecurity
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

ę Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App