Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need a little help with overclocking my fx-6100

01 Nov 2013   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Need a little help with overclocking my fx-6100

First of all I have overclocked it (stable) to 4.0~ghz. I have a GD970a-UD3 ver 1.2 motherboard and a fx-6100 cpu. I have all the bases covered outside of MB Intelligent Tweaker. Here is my issue. I have pictures to go along with my questions so please bare with me. Everywhere I go, I hear that the NB has to be higher than the HT or stability issues will happen, even says so in my bios in the following pic.
I put up two pics because I wanted to show the red writing on the side that warns me about this.
I would like to set these to manual if possible and perhaps even raise them a little if possible. I am learning here so every bit counts. But how can I do it safely. As soon as I change either one from auto, the lower area where the voltages are, starts panicking about settings the right voltages. I should mention that I have manually input my dram voltage to 1.500 as stated by manufacturer and manually set the timings. And I have also raised the CPU Voltage Control to [0.150V]. My LLC is set to Auto. If I am missing anything please let me know what I can do to get this sorted. I will be here for the next few hours and will reply to any replies right away. My goal would be to OC to 4.5 but I don't want to just leave HTT and NB on auto for that. So where can I do? Also, I live in a very cold country, computer is next to the window with a closed loop water cooler so temps under prime95 never went above mid 30s. Ok so can you guys help this poor penguin



Attached Thumbnails
Need a little help with overclocking my fx-6100-img_1999.jpg   Need a little help with overclocking my fx-6100-img_2000.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Nov 2013   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I have made some headway on my own. First I set CPU Northbridge Freq to manual and left it alone @ 10. Second I changed CPU Host Clock Control to Manual and left it at 200 for now. Third I changed PCIE Clock to manual and left it @ 100 and I don't think I will be messing with that part anytime soon. I then bumped up my multiplier to 22 and achieved a 4.4ghz clock. It seems very steady so far @ around 1.392-1.400 volts, and I ran Prime95 for quite some time while doing other things, my temps and stability were rock solid. Now I would like to go higher but I am not sure if I should just use the multiplier and continue going up, or start raising my CPU Host Clock Control. But If I go the latter, I know I will have to take my ram into consideration as that will also go up. What to do, what to do...hmm
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
I have made some headway on my own. First I set CPU Northbridge Freq to manual and left it alone @ 10. Second I changed CPU Host Clock Control to Manual and left it at 200 for now. Third I changed PCIE Clock to manual and left it @ 100 and I don't think I will be messing with that part anytime soon. I then bumped up my multiplier to 22 and achieved a 4.4ghz clock. It seems very steady so far @ around 1.392-1.400 volts, and I ran Prime95 for quite some time while doing other things, my temps and stability were rock solid. Now I would like to go higher but I am not sure if I should just use the multiplier and continue going up, or start raising my CPU Host Clock Control. But If I go the latter, I know I will have to take my ram into consideration as that will also go up. What to do, what to do...hmm

It's a black edition the multi will go as high as the pc will let it

now power requirements vary and if it's not all locked with the power needed you might fry it up and really be unhappy

you can push some volts but I recommend using a LLC setting to at least MED or High nothing extreme or ultra you will be asking for trouble but MED would probably be where you need to stop with the llc if you don't have a good PSU or MB

Now the LLC don't mess with the Northbridge just leave it auto now change the cpu LLC to MED
from there if you are looking to hit 4.5 ghz you should be able to get that at 1.44v-core if not 1.45

you can also change the HT to 2400
Set your ram at rated speed you should be able to do that by simply clicking the speeds they show 1333 /1600/1866 etc

disable spread spectrum don't need it

Ok you see the CPU freq that says 200 ? you can change that to 205 and it would make your CPU go up you can mix and match those settings to set a good clock that doesn't need so much multi and it would run better too
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Nov 2013   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

One more thing, my motherboard needs a EPS12V, right now I have the standard 4 pin 12 volt going to the cpu, which adapter is better, I posted two pics. I am running steady on 4.4ghz @ 1.392~1.4 volt.


Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
One more thing, my motherboard needs a EPS12V, right now I have the standard 4 pin 12 volt going to the cpu, which adapter is better, I posted two pics. I am running steady on 4.4ghz @ 1.392~1.4 volt.

The 1st pic is the one I would use
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Ok, ordered it with fastest shipping possible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #7
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

When I was using a PhenomII 965BE it was recommended to keep the HT freq as close to 2000Mhz as possible, higher doesn't help performance. It may not be the same with the FX series though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
When I was using a PhenomII 965BE it was recommended to keep the HT freq as close to 2000Mhz as possible, higher doesn't help performance. It may not be the same with the FX series though.

FX it helps but only when puyshing ram above stock speeds

The rule of thumb is no more then 2800 I often run 2600 which my ram takes advantage of
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Could I try to safely increase my HT to 2600? Or would I have to mess with anything else first?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crankypenguin View Post
Could I try to safely increase my HT to 2600? Or would I have to mess with anything else first?

That was with the 8350 I am not to sure if your HT will go that high one member took it to 2600 but couldn't get it stable

It helped increase the ram latency
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need a little help with overclocking my fx-6100




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Need a little help with overclocking my fx-6100
Thread Forum
Need 30,000' overview of installing an SSD alongside HDD in dv7-6100 Installation & Setup
64 player Battlefield3 - Cpu Discussion. (Fx 6100 or x6 1045t) Gaming
Solved Cooling fan for AMD 6100 Fx CPU Hardware & Devices
6100 nvidia to TV Graphic Cards
How To: Overclocking Your AMD Processor : Introduction: The Basics Of Overclocking Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33