Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Thermal Compound - Is One Better Than The Other?

09 Dec 2013   #1
kbronski

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 
Thermal Compound - Is One Better Than The Other?

I'm curious about this, since I have to get some to put the new heatsink module on my motherboard when it arrives. I've found compounds ranging from a dollar a tube to $8.99/tube.

Is it going to kill my CPU to get cheap-priced compound? What compounds transfer heat better? I have an Intel i7-2720QM in my laptop, so heat's always been a bit of an issue. This is why I'm curious.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Dec 2013   #2
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbronski View Post
I'm curious about this, since I have to get some to put the new heatsink module on my motherboard when it arrives. I've found compounds ranging from a dollar a tube to $8.99/tube.

Is it going to kill my CPU to get cheap-priced compound? What compounds transfer heat better? I have an Intel i7-2720QM in my laptop, so heat's always been a bit of an issue. This is why I'm curious.
Usually you want to go with a Nano Diamond compound I find Arctic Silver the best even though i used higher grades before

Honestly i would just go with Arctic Silver as it isn't to watery nor too thick which is why it's rated the best because you don't need much and it gets good results that usually runs around 7-8.99 i wouldn't go any cheaper

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...l_Compound_35g
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #3
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I would vote for Arctic Silver too. Worked well for me. Lasted several uears now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Dec 2013   #4
kbrady1979

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

I'd say unless you got a really crappy kind for the most part they all perform very similar. I think what's most important is getting both surfaces very clean, and using the RIGHT amount of thermal paste. I personally like Arctic MX-4 because it's non-conductive, is known to be some of the best commercial paste in terms of heat transfer, and it spreads very well. After you have both surfaces clean, I use an amount the size of a grain of rice right in the middle and you'll be good to go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #5
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbrady1979 View Post
I'd say unless you got a really crappy kind for the most part they all perform very similar. I think what's most important is getting both surfaces very clean, and using the RIGHT amount of thermal paste. I personally like Arctic MX-4 because it's non-conductive, is known to be some of the best commercial paste in terms of heat transfer, and it spreads very well. After you have both surfaces clean, I use an amount the size of a grain of rice right in the middle and you'll be good to go.
It also doesn't need to be burned in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #6
kbronski

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Burned in? What does that mean?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #7
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbronski View Post
Burned in? What does that mean?
Deliberately running the CPU at a high load to force high temperatures at first to get the compound to spread better and give a better heat transfer. Some TIM (the fancydancy name for thermal paste) has metal in it and burning it in gives the metal better contact between the CPU and the cooler. Most TIM will eventually settle in just from normally running the computer but burning in gives faster results and, sometimes, better results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #8
N00berG00ber

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

just get some MX-2. best stuff i used.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #9
kbronski

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kbronski View Post
Burned in? What does that mean?
Deliberately running the CPU at a high load to force high temperatures at first to get the compound to spread better and give a better heat transfer. Some TIM (the fancydancy name for thermal paste) has metal in it and burning it in gives the metal better contact between the CPU and the cooler. Most TIM will eventually settle in just from normally running the computer but burning in gives faster results and, sometimes, better results.
Interesting, that makes pretty good sense then. So, would it be better, practically speaking, to go with the Arctic Silver 5, or the Arctic MX-4? Since the Silver 5 is, well, silver-based and the MX-4 is carbon-based...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #10
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

I use Arctic Silver5
I have used both but find Arctic Silver5 beats it by a few C's
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Thermal Compound - Is One Better Than The Other?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Need help with replacing thermal compound!
Hello ! I have one simple question - while installing new thermal compound,do I need to put the thermal compound on the CPU cooler like on the CPU ?
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Mayonnaise As Thermal Compound
Thermal Compound Roundup - October 2011 | Hardware Secrets Something i will try in the future :p
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Thermal Compound Roundup = Mayonnaise
Well that's not what we were expecting :p Thermal Compound Roundup - October 2011 | Hardware Secrets
Chillout Room
Thermal compound question.
Does the thermal compound that comes installed on a cpu cooler ever get old. Who knows how long in been sitting in a warehouse ect. Should it be removed and new compound applied before installation. This is a new build with all new hardware. It looks a little dry compared to the fresh out of the...
Hardware & Devices
Matrix Thermal Compound Question
I have a new motherboard I just bought and want to hook up, and I'm sure it has preapplied thermal compound. My question is, should I buy more compound for the new motherboard (and transfer of CPU) or should I just install as is. The trouble is I'm not exactly sure where I can get compound from, if...
Hardware & Devices
Thermal Compound, how much of a difference does it make?!
So, recently I have had to take my PC into a computer shop for some assistance as I was stuck on a failing to boot problem for a while ( Turns out a replaced a faulty PSU with another, brand new faulty one). Also, when getting a new PSU, I also upgraded my case to the NZXT Lexia S, which has 5...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App