Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How hot should the MOBO DRM's Be?


22 Mar 2014   #1

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 
How hot should the MOBO DRM's Be?

Hi. i checked some temps today on my build and i was like.. Hmm.. My gpu is good, My cpu is good. Even when stressing the system with the case fans at 5V wich moves like bearly nothing but i have the exaust on the top so it acts as an very effective passive exaust too.. And the cpu cooler is right in front too...
But i poked fast on the motherboard heatsinks.. The one closest to the IO panel was fairly hot but i could have my finger there a while..
The one under the cpu was hot enough for me to burn my finger a little but nothing too bad just at the fingertipp. So nothing mayor on me but i got conserned.. Becouse i didnt have anything loaded up... I did stress the GPU to ~95% and the Cpu at ~20% for like ten minutes and then i closed it and when i tested the DRM temps the computer had just been doing casual stuff like browsing the web and opening maps etc.. But they were still SOO hot..

I looked around and my speedfan says;
Temp 1: 38c
Temp 2: 39c
Temp 3: 25c
HD1: 38c
GPU: 37c
The cpu is Temp 2 the two other " Temps " i have no idea about what they are..
hmm.. I think they are called DRM's or am i completely wrong?
Atleast the Heatsinks on the motherboard is very hot


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Mar 2014   #2
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Hi. i checked some temps today on my build and i was like.. Hmm.. My gpu is good, My cpu is good. Even when stressing the system with the case fans at 5V wich moves like bearly nothing but i have the exaust on the top so it acts as an very effective passive exaust too.. And the cpu cooler is right in front too...
But i poked fast on the motherboard heatsinks.. The one closest to the IO panel was fairly hot but i could have my finger there a while..
The one under the cpu was hot enough for me to burn my finger a little but nothing too bad just at the fingertipp. So nothing mayor on me but i got conserned.. Becouse i didnt have anything loaded up... I did stress the GPU to ~95% and the Cpu at ~20% for like ten minutes and then i closed it and when i tested the DRM temps the computer had just been doing casual stuff like browsing the web and opening maps etc.. But they were still SOO hot..

I looked around and my speedfan says;
Temp 1: 38c
Temp 2: 39c
Temp 3: 25c
HD1: 38c
GPU: 37c
The cpu is Temp 2 the two other " Temps " i have no idea about what they are..
hmm.. I think they are called DRM's or am i completely wrong?
Atleast the Heatsinks on the motherboard is very hot
Temp 3: 25c should be the Motherboard
Temp 1: 38c could be the embedded Chipset (North Bridge: AMD 970 - South Bridge: AMD SB950) under the square heatsinks.

AMD Motherboards - VRM info database Scroll down a bit and after the five "Motherboard Phasing list" there's links to articles explaining what VRMs are for.

It is NOT "DRM" but "VRM" that are power phases of your card (screenshot)


Attached Thumbnails
How hot should the MOBO DRM's Be?-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2014   #3

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Hi. i checked some temps today on my build and i was like.. Hmm.. My gpu is good, My cpu is good. Even when stressing the system with the case fans at 5V wich moves like bearly nothing but i have the exaust on the top so it acts as an very effective passive exaust too.. And the cpu cooler is right in front too...
But i poked fast on the motherboard heatsinks.. The one closest to the IO panel was fairly hot but i could have my finger there a while..
The one under the cpu was hot enough for me to burn my finger a little but nothing too bad just at the fingertipp. So nothing mayor on me but i got conserned.. Becouse i didnt have anything loaded up... I did stress the GPU to ~95% and the Cpu at ~20% for like ten minutes and then i closed it and when i tested the DRM temps the computer had just been doing casual stuff like browsing the web and opening maps etc.. But they were still SOO hot..

I looked around and my speedfan says;
Temp 1: 38c
Temp 2: 39c
Temp 3: 25c
HD1: 38c
GPU: 37c
The cpu is Temp 2 the two other " Temps " i have no idea about what they are..
hmm.. I think they are called DRM's or am i completely wrong?
Atleast the Heatsinks on the motherboard is very hot
Temp 3: 25c should be the Motherboard
Temp 1: 38c could be the embedded Chipset (North Bridge: AMD 970 - South Bridge: AMD SB950) under the square heatsinks.

It is NOT "DRM" but "VRM" that are power phases of your card (screenshot)
Oh yeah... Heard wrongly.. um i started another thread on this and tryed to remove this due to the wrong info ( DRM beeing the biggest reason )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Mar 2014   #4

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Hi. i checked some temps today on my build and i was like.. Hmm.. My gpu is good, My cpu is good. Even when stressing the system with the case fans at 5V wich moves like bearly nothing but i have the exaust on the top so it acts as an very effective passive exaust too.. And the cpu cooler is right in front too...
But i poked fast on the motherboard heatsinks.. The one closest to the IO panel was fairly hot but i could have my finger there a while..
The one under the cpu was hot enough for me to burn my finger a little but nothing too bad just at the fingertipp. So nothing mayor on me but i got conserned.. Becouse i didnt have anything loaded up... I did stress the GPU to ~95% and the Cpu at ~20% for like ten minutes and then i closed it and when i tested the DRM temps the computer had just been doing casual stuff like browsing the web and opening maps etc.. But they were still SOO hot..

I looked around and my speedfan says;
Temp 1: 38c
Temp 2: 39c
Temp 3: 25c
HD1: 38c
GPU: 37c
The cpu is Temp 2 the two other " Temps " i have no idea about what they are..
hmm.. I think they are called DRM's or am i completely wrong?
Atleast the Heatsinks on the motherboard is very hot
Temp 3: 25c should be the Motherboard
Temp 1: 38c could be the embedded Chipset (North Bridge: AMD 970 - South Bridge: AMD SB950) under the square heatsinks.

AMD Motherboards - VRM info database

It is NOT "DRM" but "VRM" that are power phases of your card (screenshot)
Also gigabyte says this board has 2 chipsets
Northbridge: AMD 970 chipset
SouthBridge: AMD SB950
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2014   #5
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Yes could be...!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2014   #6

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Yes could be...!
Also... I have been checking out some stuff on my mobo..
Does the Hypertransport have anything to do with overclocking? becouse this board has 4800MT/s
Does it mean i can overclock my 8350 to 4.8Ghz?
Becouse if then thats REALLY good considering this is a 970 chipset that isnt made for overclocking at all but it does support it. So i used to run my cpu at 4.2 ghz but i removed it when my psu whent bad and i havent set it back to the 4.2Ghz even now when i got a RM650W psu
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2014   #7
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Yes could be...!
Also... I have been checking out some stuff on my mobo..
Does the Hypertransport have anything to do with overclocking? becouse this board has 4800MT/s
Does it mean i can overclock my 8350 to 4.8Ghz?
Becouse if then thats REALLY good considering this is a 970 chipset that isnt made for overclocking at all but it does support it. So i used to run my cpu at 4.2 ghz but i removed it when my psu whent bad and i havent set it back to the 4.2Ghz even now when i got a RM650W psu
Seems the HyperTransportBus have to do with data exchange "read & write" at the same time...

With 4+1 Power phases you should be able to have a slight overclock but due to limitation of your phases i won't recommend you to go over 4.2GHz.

Here more infos: Hyper Transport Bus

EDIT: HyperTransport 3.0 what exactly does it help do?(see your bios settings also)

I saw you have a Define R4...If it is the classic case then you can add a Fan on the side to blow airflow on the motherboard chipsets....


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2014   #8

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Yes could be...!
Also... I have been checking out some stuff on my mobo..
Does the Hypertransport have anything to do with overclocking? becouse this board has 4800MT/s
Does it mean i can overclock my 8350 to 4.8Ghz?
Becouse if then thats REALLY good considering this is a 970 chipset that isnt made for overclocking at all but it does support it. So i used to run my cpu at 4.2 ghz but i removed it when my psu whent bad and i havent set it back to the 4.2Ghz even now when i got a RM650W psu
Seems the HyperTransportBus have to do with data exchange "read & write" at the same time...

With 4+1 Power phases you should be able to have a slight overclock but due to limitation of your phases i won't recommend you to go over 4.2GHz.

Here more infos: Hyper Transport Bus

EDIT: HyperTransport 3.0 what exactly does it help do?(see your bios settings also)

I saw you have a Define R4...If it is the classic case then you can add a Fan on the side to blow airflow on the motherboard chipsets....
Its the windowed version, Also i can overclock higher than 4.2 but i just didnt need that much cpu power.. the 8 core 4ghz is more than enough to thats also why i havent overclocked it again becouse yeah.. The 8350 is quite a beast for me compared to my old Laptop's 1.9Ghz 2.4Ghz turbo quad core. And my old desktops tripple core 2.4ghz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2014   #9
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

You can have a very cpu to Oc'ed but if your motherboard is slightly limited with the Power phases (4+1 in your case), then it is the motherboard that can't clock higher, not the Cpu. Maybe wait a little for AMD users, 'cause i'm more onto Intel board/cpu clocking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2014   #10

Windows 8.1 non PRO 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
You can have a very cpu to Oc'ed but if your motherboard is slightly limited with the Power phases (4+1 in your case), then it is the motherboard that can't clock higher, not the Cpu. Maybe wait a little for AMD users, 'cause i'm more onto Intel board/cpu clocking.
ok. Well i've seen that AMD cpus are extremely overclock happy while the intels are a bit fussy you need a mobo with a pretty good chipset but the amd's just overclock even with a crazy cheap and pretty low quality board like the one i have..
I suck with motherboard specs so i dont know whats good or not.
4-1 power phases?
MT/s?
WHAT??!
So anyhow my room where 26c so im cooling it now becouse my hands are floating away in sweat so im cooling it now.. But i didnt get it very clear.. Is it normal for the chipset and Vrm heatsinks beeing hot to the touch?
and otherwise.. Should i save up for 2 noctuas? 1 or 2 of them beeing PWM becouse my board has 1 or 2 dont remember pwm case fan connectors.. And the noctuas probably wont be very loud compared to the fractals at 7v. and they probably move more air at lover rpm's
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How hot should the MOBO DRM's Be?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How hot should the MOBO DRM's Be?
Thread Forum
Solved New MOBO, Same HDD Backup and Restore
Mobo not detecting HDMI? - ATI Radeon HD 4250 onboard ASUS mobo Hardware & Devices
switching from 1366 to 1155 then switching mobo to ib mobo PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
MOBO baked. Need to maintain 7 OS and files from HD on new MOBO General Discussion
New CPU & MoBo, same HD Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33