Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: AMD’s new 5GHz chip runs so hot it ships with watercooling

27 Jun 2014   #11
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
Oh man, you are kidding me. How the heck can AMD do such an epic fail! An 8 core 5GHz CPU can't beat an old school Intel!

But in all seriousness I really hope one day AMD are competitive again one day as it will be good for the industry all round.
What do you mean calling my CPU old? It can do 5GHz too.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jun 2014   #12
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

If you wanted to know why AMD's 8 core processor does not kill anything despite being 5 GHz. Its because its not a real 8 core processor. Its a four core processor with hyper-threading. In simple terms. The architecture AMD has gone with on its current processors is just awful compared to Intel's current line. They should have stayed with the Phenom II line and advanced that. But nope, they went with the craptastic Bulldozer line.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2014   #13
RoasterMen

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
 
 

^True and AMD Phenom 6 core CPUs are pure 6 Cores. AMDs have been creating too much CPUs now..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jun 2014   #14
computergeekguy

7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

This pleases me as i have phenom II. Know I understand why amd's havent been keeping up with intells nearly as well.

I too was curious. How can 4 c beat 8 c. Well amd truly doesn't have 8c. That helps

Thanks

p.s. I like intell the only problem is the price. Amd has always beaten it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2014   #15
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
If you wanted to know why AMD's 8 core processor does not kill anything despite being 5 GHz. Its because its not a real 8 core processor. Its a four core processor with hyper-threading. In simple terms. The architecture AMD has gone with on its current processors is just awful compared to Intel's current line. They should have stayed with the Phenom II line and advanced that. But nope, they went with the craptastic Bulldozer line.
Interesting. never knew that. Seems amazing to me. That sucks.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2014   #16
paulpicks21

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
If you wanted to know why AMD's 8 core processor does not kill anything despite being 5 GHz. Its because its not a real 8 core processor. Its a four core processor with hyper-threading. In simple terms. The architecture AMD has gone with on its current processors is just awful compared to Intel's current line. They should have stayed with the Phenom II line and advanced that. But nope, they went with the craptastic Bulldozer line.
I am not saying you are wrong logicearth but where did you get this information from? Is it common knowledge or something. I did a search online but I can't seem to find anything on it being 4 cores with 8 threads. Everywhere I looked it was just called 8 core.

If it's true then it should not be allowed, it's false advertising really.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2014   #17
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
I am not saying you are wrong logicearth but where did you get this information from? Is it common knowledge or something. I did a search online but I can't seem to find anything on it being 4 cores with 8 threads. Everywhere I looked it was just called 8 core.

If it's true then it should not be allowed, it's false advertising really.
Well you can see it in the architecture map of the "Module" design. The Interger Cluster 1 and 2 are in fact the individual processor cores. Every thing else is shared. In technical terms this is 8 cores in the processor, but when trying to use all 8 cores at the same time, performance takes a major hit, because those extra four cores share resources with the other four.


File:AMD Bulldozer block diagram (CPU core bloack).PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


You may recall Microsoft had to release a hotpatch after the Bulldozers came out, they had crap performance? Well that hotpatch was needed to make Windows treat it like a four core processor with hyper-threading. Use the real cores first then the virtual cores.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2014   #18
paulpicks21

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paulpicks21 View Post
I am not saying you are wrong logicearth but where did you get this information from? Is it common knowledge or something. I did a search online but I can't seem to find anything on it being 4 cores with 8 threads. Everywhere I looked it was just called 8 core.

If it's true then it should not be allowed, it's false advertising really.
Well you can see it in the architecture map of the "Module" design. The Interger Cluster 1 and 2 are in fact the individual processor cores. Every thing else is shared. In technical terms this is 8 cores in the processor, but when trying to use all 8 cores at the same time, performance takes a major hit, because those extra four cores share resources with the other four.


File:AMD Bulldozer block diagram (CPU core bloack).PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


You may recall Microsoft had to release a hotpatch after the Bulldozers came out, they had crap performance? Well that hotpatch was needed to make Windows treat it like a four core processor with hyper-threading. Use the real cores first then the virtual cores.
Cheers for the info bud. It's pretty cheeky them selling them as 8 core CPU's really isn't it. I always wandered why they were behind the Intel 4 cores.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2014   #19
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

So my 8 core cpu is not 8 true cores? Pretty much makes my processor crap now...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2014   #20
computergeekguy

7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

He he he
still cant get over getting my cpu before the big lie fest.
I will go for Intel from now on unless the lies stop.
Thanks for all the info, it will help greatly in my future rigs for my friends.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 AMD’s new 5GHz chip runs so hot it ships with watercooling




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Computer won't recognize 5ghz router (computer has 5ghz), windows 7
My question is I have a computer with 2.4ghz as well as 5ghz, my router is a dual band 2.4 and 5ghz wireless n and no matter what I do my computer will not recognize the 5ghz network. Background info: I have read through many forums and tried many different solutions none of which seem to work....
Network & Sharing
Installing CPU watercooling
I have a AMD FX 8350 CPU, with a AM3+ socket. Would a Corsair water cooler work on this socket? They only listed up to AM3 socket would it fit, or work?
Hardware & Devices
Intel Haswell Chip Cranked to 5GHz at Just 0.9V - maximumpc
Intel Haswell Chip Cranked to 5GHz at Just 0.9V | Maximum PC Thoughts?
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Is my watercooling set-up okay
had time on my hands so instead of wasting time i thought i would add a rad in my loop
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
PC ships w/out OS - how to install the OS?
Hi I bought a PC that is shipping without the OS because I have the windows 7 ultimate disk that I bought separately. I imagine that it is pretty straightforward right? I.e. boot up the new PC and the BIOS will say that there is no media - right? Then as long as the hard drive is NTFS format I...
Hardware & Devices
Watercooling
Hey, what parts of your pc can get watercooled????? I am new to it. How would you install this product??????
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:01.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App