Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Show Us Your Rig

18 Jun 2010   #1601
ZaLiTH

Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
So sounds like I didn't get a bad deal, considering I only need one size for now (PSU was already sleeved).
Yeah, it would've worked out cheaper if I bought a single thickness, but my PSU isn't sleeved, and I'm not planning to sleeve the individual cables, so a kit makes more sense for me...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
The mesh idea is not a bad one. How do you plan to fit it to the fans? On the outside, inside, between fan and case or on the inside of the fan with a second set of screws?

~Lordbob
The side fans I'll place the mesh between the fans and the perspex, I'm going to try and model my fan covers around the NZXT M59 case, it will obviously look a bit different thanks to the fact that my mesh has larger holes, but I'm going to try fix it to the fans similarly to this:


I don't need to worry about covering the inside of the fans as my cables are nowhere near the fans now, and they'll be even further away once I'm done with my cable management..

The front panel is going to be the interesting one though (expect lots of photos of that task). Currently, I have a curved plastic panel with four clips that hold it in the case, but to mount the mesh I still need those four clips... So I'm going to cut the face out of this front panel, and mount the mesh onto that using the double-sided tape. That way I should hopefully have a frame with the four case clips and a mesh front.

The only points I haven't quite worked out yet is exactly where to fix the mesh to the frame, and whether or not I need to reinforce this plastic frame at all.. I might be able to fix the mesh onto it in such a way that the mesh itself actually makes it stronger, but I'll see how it goes.

A good friend of mine was kind enough to lend me his Dremel 300 with a nice assortment of tips, so between that and my jig-saw and drill, I should be able to make this all work quite nicely.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Jun 2010   #1602
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
So sounds like I didn't get a bad deal, considering I only need one size for now (PSU was already sleeved).
Yeah, it would've worked out cheaper if I bought a single thickness, but my PSU isn't sleeved, and I'm not planning to sleeve the individual cables, so a kit makes more sense for me...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
The mesh idea is not a bad one. How do you plan to fit it to the fans? On the outside, inside, between fan and case or on the inside of the fan with a second set of screws?

~Lordbob
The side fans I'll place the mesh between the fans and the perspex, I'm going to try and model my fan covers around the NZXT M59 case, it will obviously look a bit different thanks to the fact that my mesh has larger holes, but I'm going to try fix it to the fans similarly to this:


I don't need to worry about covering the inside of the fans as my cables are nowhere near the fans now, and they'll be even further away once I'm done with my cable management..

The front panel is going to be the interesting one though (expect lots of photos of that task). Currently, I have a curved plastic panel with four clips that hold it in the case, but to mount the mesh I still need those four clips... So I'm going to cut the face out of this front panel, and mount the mesh onto that using the double-sided tape. That way I should hopefully have a frame with the four case clips and a mesh front.

The only points I haven't quite worked out yet is exactly where to fix the mesh to the frame, and whether or not I need to reinforce this plastic frame at all.. I might be able to fix the mesh onto it in such a way that the mesh itself actually makes it stronger, but I'll see how it goes.

A good friend of mine was kind enough to lend me his Dremel 300 with a nice assortment of tips, so between that and my jig-saw and drill, I should be able to make this all work quite nicely.
Sounds good.

Can't wait to see it all done.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2010   #1603
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Looks like fun ZaLiTH, keep us posted and some pics
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Jun 2010   #1604
ZaLiTH

Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Looks like fun ZaLiTH, keep us posted and some pics
Thanks Dave.. I'm enjoying this project so far, so I'd definitely call it 'fun'. I don't have any internet access at home unfortunately, so I'll see what I can get done this weekend and upload some more photos on Monday.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2010   #1605
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Looks like fun ZaLiTH, keep us posted and some pics
Thanks Dave.. I'm enjoying this project so far, so I'd definitely call it 'fun'. I don't have any internet access at home unfortunately, so I'll see what I can get done this weekend and upload some more photos on Monday.


We'll be here mate!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2010   #1606
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BXDfreedom View Post
Hello just visting again this thread wanna share my current setup
Very nice!

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #1607
ZaLiTH

Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
 
 

Well well, it's been a good weekend... Got some good work done on my case mod. As usual, I apologise for the creally crappy photo quality, my HTC phone camera was all I had handy this weekend...


First things first, getting all my tools together, can't forget the coffee... It's a vital part of anything that requires thought:


I started by bending the mesh panel to shape and drawing the basic outline of the front panel onto the mesh, no big sweat here:


Next I tried to cut out the old front panel and use the edges as a 'frame' to mount the new mesh panel onto:


But that didn't work too well. It broke when I started filling it back to mount the mesh:


So, I layed the mesh over the front panel, had a staring competition with my front panel (it won, by the way), and waited for some divine inspiration to hit me.


A cup of coffee and a smoke helped clear my head, and I decided to may use of the two silver plastic strips above and below my old panel to mount it.

The basic idea is that these two strips are actually screwed into the case from the inside, and they're not thin and flimsy pieces like the clear plastic panel was. So I cut two lines into the inside edges of these two silver pieces to slot the mesh into, then I cut out the corners of the mesh to fit into the slots I'd cut in the plastic... This took much tweaking and cutting and trimming and coffee and more cutting.


But it all paid off at the end! Starting to look like a fan cover now.


I got a bit worried at this point because I hadn't measured it against the actual front panel for a while, but when I put it back on, everything just fell into place and it lined up perfectly. I am going to be covering the left and right hand sides of this mesh at some point, I'll just strip some wire and put black wire insulation over the sides, but I didn't have any spare thin black wire lying around, so I'll do that next time.


Finally, I collected all the parts spread all over my double bed and put my case back together.. I must say, I was satisfied with the outcome:



Next was the side panel, I'll keep this part short though, this post is getting way too long now.

I started by cutting the basic shape of the mesh and lining it up. Did a bit of trimming on the edges here:


I decided to go with the idea of cutting awy the corners where the fan screws were, instead of tring to line up mesh holes with fan holes:


When I put it against the fans on my side panel, I found a few small corners that I needed to trim away a bit, but it was looking pretty good:


Once I was satisfied with the shape, I put my side panel back together:


And put it back on my case:




I'm not sure if I should put some sort of surround on the side fan mesh or not, perhaps do the same as what I plan for the sides of the front mesh? I'm not sure though... It's not vibrating now, but I suspect with the mesh being aginst the perspex side panel, it may start to vibrate in a few days once the screws start to settle a bit.

Also, I haven't done the cable sleeving yet, I'll sort that out when I re-spray my case... After all, my PC will be out of action for a few days anyway, and everything will be stripped from my case, perfect time to do sleeving. What do you guys think so far?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #1608
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Nice work, handy step by step walk through too. Looking good Zalith!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #1609
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

That is looking really good Zalith!

I have unfortunately borked my work a little... I blew out the LEDs on my fan by running 12V through them, about 10 times more than I should have...
So that ended my work for today.
It also appears that I need to go with a regular rocker switch because the LED ones won't work with the setup I was to use.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jun 2010   #1610
ZaLiTH

Win 10 x64 Pro x64 / Ubuntu 15.10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Nice work, handy step by step walk through too. Looking good Zalith!
Thanks.. I figure if anybody else is looking to do the same sort of thing, the least I could do is tell people what did and didn't work for me..

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
That is looking really good Zalith!

I have unfortunately borked my work a little... I blew out the LEDs on my fan by running 12V through them, about 10 times more than I should have...
So that ended my work for today.
It also appears that I need to go with a regular rocker switch because the LED ones won't work with the setup I was to use.

~Lordbob
Ouch... That really sucks, what about using an in-line resister on the positive point of the LEDs though? Using the +5v line from a molex connector should do the trick, although I must admit that might affect the LEDs in the fan itself, unless you use a totally separate +5v line to the fan connector.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 Show Us Your Rig




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Show Us Your Rig [8]
Spring is on and is beautifully sunny, flowered trees are green and diffuse their scents...:) My desk is lightened by...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Subfolders does not show in OWA, but show in Outlook.
Hi! Running server 2008 with exchange server. The user is using both OWA webmail and local Outlook. User got multiple inbox's to access, 1 personal and 2 for the company. The personal one got subfolders which shows in OWA, but the problem is the other folders. They are only needed by this 1...
Microsoft Office
HDDs Show in BIOS, But Do Not Show in Disk Management
Hello, A newbie here that just completed a first-time new Win7 PC build. Successful installation of Win7 Pro on WD 600GB 10000 system drive. Went back and installed 4 additional HDD. (2) WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM and (2) WD Caviar 7200 500GB HDD from XP system that were used for storage. ...
Hardware & Devices
Show us your Wig
:haha:
Chillout Room
backup files will only show up if i click show hidden files and folder
Hey Guys, I cannot find a soultion to this problem. I was using my desktop like normal then an error came up saying that there was a hdd failure, and that i needed to scan for errors. all my files disappeared and only this error would come up. There would be hundreds of the same msg spamed on my...
Backup and Restore
show hidden folders show file extensions thru registry
I am trying to setup a default user or machine setup for how win7 handles folder view options. I want show hidden folders to be set to on for all users and the hide extensions for know file types to be unchecked or turned off ffor all users (so extensions show) I have located them in the registry...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App