Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Haswell E i7 5820k price point?

26 Jul 2015   #1
kbronski

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 
Haswell E i7 5820k price point?

I'm still ordering parts for my production workstation and just ordered the Asus X99-A mobo, which means I'm locked into the LGA2011-3 socket. I'm definitely settled on getting a 5830k but obviously it can be a little spendy. I'm hoping to spend under $350, but is there a certain price point I should definitely wait for? I've found a couple around $325 on eBay, but we all know eBay can be a little sketch. So I'm wondering if eBay is worth the"gamble" vs buying from a retailer.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Jul 2015   #2
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
I'd only buy new parts from a retailer
Newegg is having a sell this Tuesday you might want to checkout
Micro Center also has some good deals on cpu's if one is close by your location it's where I got my 5930k from for 499.us

5820k is a 4 core cpu,
You can save money just by going with a z97 board and another cpu
Not to mention save a lot on ram
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2015   #3
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Save more money to get at least the 5930K, do not get anything lower, and do not use Ebay to buy a cpu, unless tou`re looking for something not on the market anymore.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...1-V3_Processor

Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75930K Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

Microcenter`s price is way better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jul 2015   #4
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2015   #5
kbronski

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Save more money to get at least the 5930K, do not get anything lower, and do not use Ebay to buy a cpu, unless tou`re looking for something not on the market anymore.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...1-V3_Processor

Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75930K Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

Microcenter`s price is way better.
Microcenter is local only; I could drive to St. Louis for it; would save myself money on the shipping and it's only a couple hours away as is. Good call; still going with the 5820k because frankly, the extra price premium for such little increase in performance makes the 5930k an unwise choice for me; I'm doing audio production primarily, and video production secondarily. The other video guy where I work is only running a 4790 with a quadro and is working through 4K footage without issue. As is, the 5820k still crushes most other consumer CPUs on the market and for $300 from MicroCenter's store, I think I can save myself $200.

Yes, the 5820k is a six-core.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2015   #6
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yea I haven't seen anything bad at all with the 5820k
You can get good ram for the price savings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2015   #7
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Ya, spend the savings on some Dominator Platinum 2666 MHz or 2400 MHz

Get 2 8GB sticks now and get 2 later and so on.

DominatorĀ® Platinum Series ā€” 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C11 Memory Kit (CMD16GX3M2A2400C11)

or C10 when they come back in stock, much cheaper to go directly through Corsair

DominatorĀ® Platinum Series ā€” 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C10 Memory Kit (CMD16GX3M2A2400C10)

But if the board you`re getting takes DDR4, you`d have to look at that.


Mike can give you a link to what he bought.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2015   #8
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Ya all x99 boards have to use ddr4 ram you can checkout the different types on the same links AddRam posted
Which brand well you just need to decide a budget mine cost 275.us just for 4x4gb = 16gb
G-Skill has some cheaper pricing for sure but the top supported frequency is 2400 Mhz the lowest supported is 2133 unbuffered.
I got 2666 C16 just to oc it a bit and I read it was a sweet spot for frequency in oc'ing it
I have it set in bios to use 2400 which it defaults to 2133 even though it's 2666.

Your using the rig for audio and video so you don't need to worry about that stuff
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2015   #9
kbronski

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Yea I haven't seen anything bad at all with the 5820k
You can get good ram for the price savings
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Ya, spend the savings on some Dominator Platinum 2666 MHz or 2400 MHz

Get 2 8GB sticks now and get 2 later and so on.

DominatorĀ® Platinum Series ā€” 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C11 Memory Kit (CMD16GX3M2A2400C11)

or C10 when they come back in stock, much cheaper to go directly through Corsair

DominatorĀ® Platinum Series ā€” 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C10 Memory Kit (CMD16GX3M2A2400C10)

But if the board you`re getting takes DDR4, you`d have to look at that.


Mike can give you a link to what he bought.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Ya all x99 boards have to use ddr4 ram you can checkout the different types on the same links AddRam posted
Which brand well you just need to decide a budget mine cost 275.us just for 4x4gb = 16gb
G-Skill has some cheaper pricing for sure but the top supported frequency is 2400 Mhz the lowest supported is 2133 unbuffered.
I got 2666 C16 just to oc it a bit and I read it was a sweet spot for frequency in oc'ing it
I have it set in bios to use 2400 which it defaults to 2133 even though it's 2666.

Your using the rig for audio and video so you don't need to worry about that stuff
Yah, you know, if I was having this paid for by a third party, I may go for some higher-end RAM. But for what I'll be doing, even the "low end" of 2133 is going to be pretty killer.

For reference, here is my parts list. I already have the PSU, Case, and Mobo is coming soon.
The List



Also, thanks for the recommendation on Microcenter. Turns out the current price for the 5820k is good until the 9th, so as long as I order it before then, it should be waiting in the store for me to go pick it up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2015   #10
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Yep even corsair vengeance is an awesome ram
Hard to beat Micro Center on cpu's and the hold for 3 days is cool
Micro Center also has price match too if they have the product in stock
The place has to be sold and shipped from Newegg or Amazon.. though and can't be from someone else selling from those sites.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Haswell E i7 5820k price point?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
P67 Equivalent for the New Haswell
I currently have an Asus P8P67 REV 3.1 motherboard that is great with my 3770k. I am looking into getting the new 4770K i7 which uses the new LGA 1150 socket. What would the P67 equivalent be for the new Haswell CPU? Please don't recommend any brands, just the chipset. I appreciate the...
Hardware & Devices
Is it true with Haswell CPU you need a haswell ready PSU
I have heard people saying you need a Haswell Ready PSU or are people blowing it out of Proportion Reason i ask is i know Jake Sh*& about intel including Haswell
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Some Haswell info
I sent an inquiry to Jeffery of ASUS support about some comments he made in Newegg's review section. I expressed concern about why so many ASUS Z87 boards were being returned as DOA. Here is his interesting explanation. Please add your thoughts or knowledge. Hello Gary, Looks like when the...
Hardware & Devices
Haswell info
Don't know if anyone else has seen this but it is starting to look real good for the next build. Haswell: Cheat Sheet | TechRepublic
Chillout Room
Restoring windows to original point, can't find restore point
Because windows 7 is getting really slow, I decided to start fresh with it. Going into system restore, I find the original restore point. As I click on it, it says the file is not found. My "backup recovery" drive is a partitioned C drive. Could I find this file? Or Could I somehow format my...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App