Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: My SkyLake 6700k Journey

08 Nov 2015   #51
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I lately have been looking at different case video reviews and i haven't really found anything that stands out that is new.

I am thinking of the location of 5 1/4 front bays. Yes I like them. If one needs them they are there and if no need just leave the covers on.

The question in my mind is why are 5 1/4 bays always at the top. They get in the way of top radiators and even front radiators if one uses them. Put the 5 1/4 bays at the bottom front. Fans at the top front. Now you can install a longer top radiator and front radiators without loosing the use of one or two 5 1/4 bays.

Yes i know their are high dollar cases like Case Lab that you can put anything any place you want. I thinking about cases in the $150.00 to $250.00 range.

It took forever before manufactures started removal hard drive enclosures if one chose to without drilling and cutting.
In todays world of SSD's and 4 TB hard drives how many use 6, 8 or even more hard drives. Some cases are now using a great new side panel design.
One latch and then open like a door that you can remove if you choose.

Just think what a added 1 inch between the motherboard tray and the side panel would do to help builders. Wire management and the mounting of hard drives and of course SSD's. I know one can buy a cube double wide but think what one could do with just 1 inch more in width from motherboard to side panel.

***A true new look on case design is needed in my mind.***
I think a new concept could be done within the price range no more than $250.00 to $300.00 range.

I have see some $500.00 range cases that other than the price, they are the SOS. Some in that price range don't even have a piratical way of adding filters for intake fans.
Me and a 3 legged pet monkey know better than that. Intake fans need filters. Period. Design it into the case.

All included fans in this black case with red, yellow, black, and white fan harness. (Not Sleeved). That is a bunch of ugly all in one place.

I will stop my post before I'm accused of being a pessimist. I'm not, I just expect more for the money spent.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Nov 2015   #52
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I lately have been looking at different case video reviews and i haven't really found anything that stands out that is new.

I am thinking of the location of 5 1/4 front bays. Yes I like them. If one needs them they are there and if no need just leave the covers on.

The question in my mind is why are 5 1/4 bays always at the top. They get in the way of top radiators and even front radiators if one uses them. Put the 5 1/4 bays at the bottom front. Fans at the top front. Now you can install a longer top radiator and front radiators without loosing the use of one or two 5 1/4 bays.

Yes i know their are high dollar cases like Case Lab that you can put anything any place you want. I thinking about cases in the $150.00 to $250.00 range.

It took forever before manufactures started removal hard drive enclosures if one chose to without drilling and cutting.
In todays world of SSD's and 4 TB hard drives how many use 6, 8 or even more hard drives. Some cases are now using a great new side panel design.
One latch and then open like a door that you can remove if you choose.

Just think what a added 1 inch between the motherboard tray and the side panel would do to help builders. Wire management and the mounting of hard drives and of course SSD's. I know one can buy a cube double wide but think what one could do with just 1 inch more in width from motherboard to side panel.

***A true new look on case design is needed in my mind.***
I think a new concept could be done within the price range no more than $250.00 to $300.00 range.

I have see some $500.00 range cases that other than the price, they are the SOS. Some in that price range don't even have a piratical way of adding filters for intake fans.
Me and a 3 legged pet monkey know better than that. Intake fans need filters. Period. Design it into the case.

All included fans in this black case with red, yellow, black, and white fan harness. (Not Sleeved). That is a bunch of ugly all in one place.

I will stop my post before I'm accused of being a pessimist. I'm not, I just expect more for the money spent.

I hear you money well spent gives you a warm fuzzy feeling but in my recent searches i been finding solid deals

Computer Gear is getting lower and coming out faster so in the next 6 months my new shinny thing will be old already
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2015   #53
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

6700k seems a little anticlimactic to me being it's a quad core :/
I believe Brian really has a net gain of nearly zero from a 4790k devils canyon he says he doesn't oc the cpu or gpu and only sets ram to max.

I do look forward to his benches though seeing he might just have win-7 on it

You Tommie need to update your system spec's
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Nov 2015   #54
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

But there are other things you have to consider with the Z170 chipset and the 6700K besides speed.

And I`d have to say, it looks a lot better then the Z77, Z87 and Z97 Sabers

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...-i7-6700K-641/


Attached Images
My SkyLake 6700k Journey-sabertooth-z170-2.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2015   #55
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
6700k seems a little anticlimactic to me being it's a quad core :/
I believe Brian really has a net gain of nearly zero from a 4790k devils canyon he says he doesn't oc the cpu or gpu and only sets ram to max.

I do look forward to his benches though seeing he might just have win-7 on it

You Tommie need to update your system spec's

Soon soon i am milking it lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2015   #56
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
But there are other things you have to consider with the Z170 chipset and the 6700K besides speed.

And I`d have to say, it looks a lot better then the Z77, Z87 and Z97 Sabers

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...-i7-6700K-641/

Brian you need to post your Skylake build here


Btw this is my new Monitor

http://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/


Attached Images
My SkyLake 6700k Journey-swift.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2015   #57
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Sweet monitor you hit the lottery

I'm picking up one like Brian has Friday AOC 349.99+a little for 3 day shipping
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2015   #58
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Sweet monitor you hit the lottery

I'm picking up one like Brian has Friday AOC 349.99+a little for 3 day shipping
If your near a frys they'll drop it down to 549.00 it's worth it after all this is a 27inch top G-sync monitor

Now question is sli worth it i have the option to grab another one of these
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 G1 Gaming 4GB GDDR5 PCIe Video Card GV-N980G1 - Micro Center open box for $404.96

Newegg is cheaper and this one i spotted was a open box doesn't mean anything is wrong with it after all i got my sabertooth Z77 open box
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2015   #59
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

As long as the warrantee is still good go for it
I kind of hate Fry's :/
I'd rather go to Newegg they don't charge tax to Texan's

I have my eye's on this one but it has some terrible reviews
ZOTAC ZT-90505-10P GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2015   #60
Solarstarshines

Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
As long as the warrantee is still good go for it
I kind of hate Fry's :/
I'd rather go to Newegg they don't charge tax to Texan's

I have my eye's on this one but it has some terrible reviews
ZOTAC ZT-90505-10P GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com
First page all 5 eggs lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 My SkyLake 6700k Journey




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is Win7 running on LGA1151 + Skylake Motherboards?
I am planning to buy a new computer with a LGA 1151 and Skylake processor. Is Win7 running on such systems? In other words: Are there Win 7 drivers available fr the new Skylake chipsets? Peter
General Discussion
Skylake Gets Mixed Reviews
A bit technical, but an interesting article on the breakdown of Skylake processor architecture and how it works. Source: Intel Skylake Gets Mixed Reviews | EE Times
News
BSOD on fresh skylake computer build
I'm using windows 7 at the moment and only have chrome and steam installed. I'm using a wireless adapter that may or may not be the cause of the crashes, anyways here is the dump files if anyone could analyze them.
BSOD Help and Support
Unlocked Skylake-K processors heading to laptops
Read more: Unlocked Skylake-K processors heading to laptops
News
Skylake processor SKUs leaked
Not official, but here is the pertinent graphic. Slated for an August launch. Time to rebuild with Win 10, to be released just about the same time. There's some unofficial benchmarks out there already if you want to pound on Google. Probably from engineering samples.
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
The CPU, a small journey
We all know what the CPU is, some of us know how it works. To me it is a bit of a mystery how it does all it does. Here is an old AMD Athlon64 3500+, 2.2Ghz and it is about 1 9/16th" square. A pretty tiny device containing millions or billions of transisters, memory controller, instructions, and...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App