Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Advice for first CP Build

23 Feb 2009   #11

Windows 7 RC 7100 32bit/64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello BucSox79.

I just put my first system together [...]

Later Ted
Hello BFK. Just curious...

I've seen you guys say you're putting your first systems together...
Is this literal? Are they your actually first systems? On what have you been working on all these years? ???

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Feb 2009   #12

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by limneos View Post
Is this literal? Are they your actually first systems? On what have you been working on all these years? ???
pre-built machines Those of us who have seen the light have inspired others to follow suit And also create monsters, lol


I'm proud to say (and a little embarrassed ) that the machine in my specs is my first ever 'built from scratch' machine. I will never, ever, purchase a pre-built machine again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2009   #13
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
So you got that 8GB going Ted?
Hello SE.

No, the 4GB that I had to RMA back to Corsair is scheduled to be delivered on 26 Feb. and I'm ready for it considering it came DOA to start with, I do have 4GB running though.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by limneos View Post
Hello BFK. Just curious...

I've seen you guys say you're putting your first systems together...
Is this literal? Are they your actually first systems? On what have you been working on all these years? ???
Hello limneos.

This (in my specs at the bottom) is the first machine that I've built all by my little self, though I've had A LOT of help from a lot of people here at the forums, without which I'd still be clueless.

My first was the HP machine that I just retired (giving it to my brother) though it still runs real good with the Athlon64 6000+, 8GB G.Skill PI Black @4-4-4-12, the two 500GB WD Caviar Black HDDs and Vista 64-bit Ultimate.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
pre-built machines Those of us who have seen the light have inspired others to follow suit And also create monsters, lol


I'm proud to say (and a little embarrassed ) that the machine in my specs is my first ever 'built from scratch' machine. I will never, ever, purchase a pre-built machine again
Yes, Smash has been a bad influence on me.....

I'll never purchase another pre-built machine; I'm already planning to build a second machine from the parts I'll have from the upgrades that I've started to this one.


Later Ted
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Feb 2009   #14

Windows 7 RTM
 
 

Well I received and assembled the computer. Im starting to think I should have gotten a bigger case. Not that I have this case loaded with stuff but it seems very tight. The large video card doesnt help but im sure that's normal nowadays. I only have one hard drive installed presently but wil be putting in more. So far, ,with the few things ive put in the case, its hard to access anything it seems.
Love the case, except it just seems too tight and things look messy. Maybe im just not doing a few things right.
Another thing, the video card has two power connectors. Each with two cables that branch off to two 3-pin connectors. Right now, ive only got one connector each connected to the power supply. Am I suppose to have all four connected? That would then take up 4 connectors from the p/s!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2009   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate Vista Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BucSox79 View Post
Well I received and assembled the computer. Im starting to think I should have gotten a bigger case. Not that I have this case loaded with stuff but it seems very tight. The large video card doesnt help but im sure that's normal nowadays. I only have one hard drive installed presently but wil be putting in more. So far, ,with the few things ive put in the case, its hard to access anything it seems.
Love the case, except it just seems too tight and things look messy. Maybe im just not doing a few things right.
Another thing, the video card has two power connectors. Each with two cables that branch off to two 3-pin connectors. Right now, ive only got one connector each connected to the power supply. Am I suppose to have all four connected? That would then take up 4 connectors from the p/s!
Yes you need to connect all 4 to the PSU unless your PSU has PCIE power connectors and if you can try using Zip Ties to tidy up all your wires in to bunches, this will help with air flow and it also looks allot better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2009   #16

Windows 7 RTM
 
 

Oh. Hope i didnt hurt anything. Ive already powered it up with only one from each connected. Didnt notice any problems, ill have to see how many spare connectors i have left from the p/s. Hopefully there are enough
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2009   #17

SEVEN x64
 
 

nice rig BucSox...... ...enjoy your build

its a great experience... & nothing can compare to the 260's sheer class when you unpack it...

great setup.





SK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2009   #18
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello BucSox.


I'm pleased to see you're getting it sorted, please be sure to keep us informed!

















Later Ted
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Feb 2009   #19

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I would check into a HD that uses less platters.

The WD 640gb's use 2 platters, as opposed to other same size HD's that use 3 or more. Less power, cooler and a bit faster. Not mind blowing but a good tweak.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2009   #20

Windows 7 x64 build
 
 

Hey BucBox, welcome to the Core i7 family haha
I did the same thing you did only I got the ASUS P6T and went ATI instead of Nvidia.
The heatsink is STRONGLY recommend is the Thermaltake V1AX its the best cooler I've had for it not to mention it has an adjustable fan speed.
I OC'd my processer to 180 (3.8GHz) before it became unstable but from what i hear you can push it to 1.9 (4.0GHz) on only an air cooling.

I would strongly suggest NOT OC'ing your processer until you have an aftermarket Heatsink. but yeah with that heatsink my core has never gotten above 40 degrees C
Just thought I'd throw that out there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Advice for first CP Build





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Advice for first CP Build
Thread Forum
New build need advice PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Looking for advice on my new build PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
New Build (Advice/help) Chillout Room
Looking for advice : My dad & bro's new build PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Advice on First and New build PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Advice on my build PC Custom Builds and Overclocking

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33