Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: A new build,opinons?

12 Jan 2010   #41
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
I'm still pushing Red - more bang for your buck.
LOL,i see you are.

As im saving up,cost isnt really an issue (i still wont spend massive money though) and the intel set up gives me what i want where as the AMD doesnt.

At the minute the things im thinking might change are
1156 socket -1366 socket
980 i7 - 920 i7
Whether or not to get an ssd
Watercooling,Fans

I still have to look up alot before i hand the money over but the basic set up,ill stick with it.
AMD doesn't - can you explain? As for the SSD I'd choose a single fat 1TB HDD anyday until prices drop - a lot. Watercooling is most likely unnecessary unless you want to push a chip to 4.0GHz+.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jan 2010   #42
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post

AMD doesn't - can you explain? As for the SSD I'd choose a single fat 1TB HDD anyday until prices drop - a lot. Watercooling is most likely unnecessary unless you want to push a chip to 4.0GHz+.
An Intel build
I have an AMD build at the minute,i want to try Intel.

Thats what i have to think about,how far im going to push the proccessor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2010   #43
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post

AMD doesn't - can you explain? As for the SSD I'd choose a single fat 1TB HDD anyday until prices drop - a lot. Watercooling is most likely unnecessary unless you want to push a chip to 4.0GHz+.
An Intel build
I have an AMD build at the minute,i want to try Intel.

Thats what i have to think about,how far im going to push the proccessor.
A 64 X2? That definitely needs upgrading. You can push the i7 860 (socket 1156) to 3.4GHz + with a good cooler. What GPU are you going for? A 4890 is decent and any new DirectX 11 features in games will be ignored.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jan 2010   #44
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post


A 64 X2? That definitely needs upgrading. You can push the i7 860 (socket 1156) to 3.4GHz + with a good cooler. What GPU are you going for? A 4890 is decent and any new DirectX 11 features in games will be ignored.
Yup lol
Yeah i seen that,ive seen benchmarks of a 920 going to 4.0Ghz too which is more than i need
For now the plan is the 4870 1GB,maybe get another if the need arises
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2010   #45
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

With Crossfire you may experience micro-stuttering, I'd stick with a single 4890 - it can overclock further thanks to a revised core.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #46
Tweek

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 & OSX 10.6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post

AMD doesn't - can you explain? As for the SSD I'd choose a single fat 1TB HDD anyday until prices drop - a lot. Watercooling is most likely unnecessary unless you want to push a chip to 4.0GHz+.
An Intel build
I have an AMD build at the minute,i want to try Intel.

Thats what i have to think about,how far im going to push the proccessor.
A 64 X2? That definitely needs upgrading. You can push the i7 860 (socket 1156) to 3.4GHz + with a good cooler. What GPU are you going for? A 4890 is decent and any new DirectX 11 features in games will be ignored.
My Last build was an Upgrade from an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4Ghz to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz and it runs stock at 3.41Ghz on my Board, Literally by default! (ASUS P5E Deluxe)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #47
Dalek

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
I was looking into building a new desktop from scratch,i bought my current one pre made and was planning on upgrading it but decided that id save up and build a newer better one.
Im using a new shop i found, Komplett.ie - Webshop for PC components, Sound & Vision, Digital Imaging and Gaming
It has mainly the same things as Overclockers UK buts a little bit cheaper becasue i can collect to save delivery costs (its only in Blanchardstown,Dublin) and i can get everything quicker and dont need a laser/credit card which can be a pain.
The spec i was going for was:
Product Type Price
MotherBoard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5,X58 216.11
Case Antec Nine Hundred Midi Tower Black 89.62
DVD Drive Samsung Super-WriteMaster SH-S223C (X2) 43.82
Grahics Card Asus Radeon HD 5750 - 1 GB 135.94
Hard Drive Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 7200RPM 71.70
Hard Drive 2 Seagate 500GB 7200RPM Already Have
Memory Crucial DDR3 6GB 1333MHZ 144.40
Mouse Logitech Cordless Desktop LX710 Laser 58.76
Keyboard Logitech Cordless Desktop LX710 Laser Included^
Monitor Iiyama Pro Lite LCD display 24" (X2) 374.44
Power Supply Corsair TX 650W PSU 82.66
Processor Intel Core i7 Quad Processor i7-860 (2.88Ghz) 259
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (PCI) 58.76
Cables Serial ATA cable 50cm (x2) 10
2 metre PoweCable 3.98

1,549.19

So,any massive oversights or something that would be better?
You can compare off my old spec in the System spec tab.

I tried to make the above more readable but the forum is taking the spaces out on me


Cheers
Dan
holy crap,you can buy solid car for that much money!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2010   #48
Tweek

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 & OSX 10.6
 
 

Hard Drive Cables- Serial ATA(SATA)
Use this for SATA cables, I know the best price I can get for a SATA II Cable not online, is $4 for a 12" Ultra thin at Fry's, and online I can get a 18 inch SATA Data and Power Combo Cable in whatever Colour I want for the same price.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 A new build,opinons?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
preposed build log for my new under 5 k computer system build
CASE - Rosewill Gaming Super Tower Computer Case BLACKHAWK-ULTRA primary drive ssd - Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 512 SATA_6_0_gb Solid State Drive MZ-7PD512BW sound card - ASUS PCI-Express x1 Sound Card XONAR ESSENCE STX/90-YAA0C0-0UAN00Z CPU - AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Can I install Icon Packs designed for Build 7600 on to Build 7601?
Can I install Icon Packs designed for Build 7600 to Build 7601? An Icon Pack was saying install on to 7600 only and after I checked my regedit, I learned that I have 7601 (Probably SP1, I don't know). Would I have any problems if I install the icon pack? Thanks.
Customization
Your opinons on this motherboard
please delete since nobody post a response.
Hardware & Devices
Upgrade from Build 7100 to Build 7264?
Hi All, I am currently running OS 7 Beta RC Build 7100. Were do I get this newer version, is there a big difference? And am I able to upgrade to the newer Beta? I realize that October is fast approaching for the RTM but I plan to keep running the Beta for a couple of months past the Grand...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Build 7260 (first candidate build of RTM)
Windows 7 has reached RTM builds and there will be several candidate builds in RTM. first candidate build of RTM is build 7260. 6.1.7260.0.win7_rtm.090612-2110 - RTM branch build compiled on 12 june.
General Discussion
Windows 7 Build 7012 Screenshots Emerged & Build 7013 Details
Windows 7 Build 7012 Screenshots Emerged & Build 7013 Details http://www.blogsdna.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/windows-7-logo.jpg We all are waiting for Windows 7 Beta 1 build 7000 to get release but it seems some one out their already have access to Windows 7 Build 7012. Here is...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App