Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Acceptable temps?

31 May 2010   #1
blackroseMD1

Windows 10 Tech Preview 9926 x64
 
 
Acceptable temps?

OK, so I'm running the system in my specs, but I have the i5 clocked from 2.66 to 3.15. After running GTAIV: Episodes From Liberty City on all high settings @ 1920x1080 for about an hour, RealTemp tells me that I've hit 78c on two of my cores and 75c on the other two.

Do you guys think this is an acceptable temp, or do I need to clock back down to around 3.00?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 May 2010   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

AT idle about 40c would be good.

65 or so should be the max
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #3
blackroseMD1

Windows 10 Tech Preview 9926 x64
 
 

Well, it idles around 50 and, as I said above, hits about 78 in GTAIV. Guess I'll knock it down to 3.00 and see what happens.

I can see that an awesome cooler is next on my shopping list.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 May 2010   #4
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

You should be able to get it down. Wish you luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #5
blackroseMD1

Windows 10 Tech Preview 9926 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
You should be able to get it down. Wish you luck
Thanks Rich.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #6
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

And thank you for the rep. Hopefully, I can get some cooling tips for you. Just stand by.

Mission accomplished.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/mainte...pc_cooling.htm
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #7
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

BlackroseMD1, I'd suggest getting this: Welcome to Corsair :: H50 Product Information

or at least a very good air cooled heatsink for your processor. I know there's a Fry's down there in SD and Best Buy is almost like Starbucks--just about everywhere. The Corsair goes for $80. I have one and have my processor slightly overclocked right now (3.2GHz now, 3.0GHz stock) and load temps never get above 38C when I game for any length of time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #8
blackroseMD1

Windows 10 Tech Preview 9926 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
BlackroseMD1, I'd suggest getting this: Welcome to Corsair :: H50 Product Information

or at least a very good air cooled heatsink for your processor. I know there's a Fry's down there in SD and Best Buy is almost like Starbucks--just about everywhere. The Corsair goes for $80. I have one and have my processor slightly overclocked right now (3.2GHz now, 3.0GHz stock) and load temps never get above 38C when I game for any length of time.
Wow...that's awesome...and cheap. If they have it for in-store pickup, I'm ordering it right now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #9
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

My i5 I have the BCLK set to 160 so w/ all 4 cores, the multi is 21 (I get 3.373GHz). In 6 hours of running OCCT (100% CPU for 6 hours) only 1 core ever hit 62c, and averages were about 59c. Prime95 was a little less. The TJ Max is 100c. You are running a bit hot. I see you are using the stock cooler, I'd suggest a replacement cooler. I am using Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus:

Reviews

Review

Amazon

A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2010   #10
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by blackroseMD1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
BlackroseMD1, I'd suggest getting this: Welcome to Corsair :: H50 Product Information

or at least a very good air cooled heatsink for your processor. I know there's a Fry's down there in SD and Best Buy is almost like Starbucks--just about everywhere. The Corsair goes for $80. I have one and have my processor slightly overclocked right now (3.2GHz now, 3.0GHz stock) and load temps never get above 38C when I game for any length of time.
Wow...that's awesome...and cheap. If they have it for in-store pickup, I'm ordering it right now.
Isn't this a great place for information?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Acceptable temps?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
On the brink of acceptable battery life in mobile
Read more at: On the brink of acceptable battery life in mobile | ZDNet
News
2TB USB3 HDDS acceptable?
Hey guys, Thinking of buying a USB3 external hard drive for both storage&backup and also playing movies through my Xbox. I am aware there is some kind of limitation around the 2TB mark in compatibility with windows, will a 2TB drive work Also, does anyone know if there are maximum supported...
Hardware & Devices
Acceptable Domain Logon Times
Hi All, First time poster, long time reader. I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. I am an IT manager at a school (800 users in total). I have only recently taken over, and we have migrated to Windows 7 (also upgraded the domain to Windows 2008 R2). The school employs a rather...
Performance & Maintenance
Acceptable Voltages?
Hi there, I have just recently upgraded my graphics card from a 8800GTS to a GTX260 and was finding my old E6400 holding me back and causing a bit of a bottleneck so i've overclocked it to 2.8GHz and all seems well and stable but i am just wondering are the auto voltages acceptable and more...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Tell me what u think about my cpu & gpu temps
cpu- phenom II x4 945- 30c idle 62c 100% loads/stress testing(cpu is rating max 70c) gpu- 9500gt- idle 45- load havnt seen it pass 55c my temps arnt bad though i think i should increase fan speed on gpu to get idle down a bit. what are u guys temps?
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App