Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 64Bit 7 not using all 4GB of ram


07 Nov 2009   #1
intelfan00

Windows 7 32 & 64 bit
 
 
64Bit 7 not using all 4GB of ram

I have put 64Bit windows 7 on my pc and it says that it has 4gb ram but only 3gb usable but dont know whats causing this my GPU Nvidia 9500GT says its got 1GB shared ram but i cant get it back is there a way to fix this or do i need to buy new ram or a new motherboard?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Nov 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by supernova View Post
I have put 64Bit windows 7 on my pc and it says that it has 4gb ram but only 3gb usable but dont know whats causing this my GPU Nvidia 9500GT says its got 1GB shared ram but i cant get it back is there a way to fix this or do i need to buy new ram or a new motherboard?
SN

Hi and welcome

Its perfectly normal for shared memory. If you were able to take it back you would have a vga video display, not be able to run aero, and not be able to game. You can always add ram if your mobo supports it but the video card would still grab one gig.

Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #3
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Its your motherboard causing this issue. You wont find tis issue if you get a newer board.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Nov 2009   #4
intelfan00

Windows 7 32 & 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by supernova View Post
I have put 64Bit windows 7 on my pc and it says that it has 4gb ram but only 3gb usable but dont know whats causing this my GPU Nvidia 9500GT says its got 1GB shared ram but i cant get it back is there a way to fix this or do i need to buy new ram or a new motherboard?
SN

Hi and welcome

Its perfectly normal for shared memory. If you were able to take it back you would have a vga video display, not be able to run aero, and not be able to game. You can always add ram if your mobo supports it but the video card would still grab one gig.

Ken J
But the GPU has a dedicated 1GB ram built in and my mate has same GPU in his pc and he has 4GB ram running 7 64bit and he has all 4GB ram avalible to him so it cant be to do with the GPU
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #5
logicearth

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Does your "mate" have the same motherboard and chipset? Look for memory remapping in the BIOS otherwise you will have to live with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #6
intelfan00

Windows 7 32 & 64 bit
 
 

My motherboard is foxconn G31MX so it does not have the memory reamp option on its bios and my mate has a foxconn board to just a dif modle number.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #7
intelfan00

Windows 7 32 & 64 bit
 
 

Also b4 i even added the new GPU it said i only had 3.24GB usable how is that possible when it just had intergrated graphics at that point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #8
PaulGo

Windows 7 64 SP1
 
 

Play around with System Configuration - Boot - Advanced options and then make boot setting permanent. I had to check and then uncheck some boxes until I go Window 7 64 bit to recognize my 4 megs of memory.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #9
intelfan00

Windows 7 32 & 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
Play around with System Configuration - Boot - Advanced options and then make boot setting permanent. I had to check and then uncheck some boxes until I go Window 7 64 bit to recognize my 4 megs of memory.
I dont have any options for the ram though in the bios under advanced options.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #10
PaulGo

Windows 7 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
Play around with System Configuration - Boot - Advanced options and then make boot setting permanent. I had to check and then uncheck some boxes until I go Window 7 64 bit to recognize my 4 megs of memory.
I dont have any options for the ram though in the bios under advanced options.

I not writing about your BIOS I am writing about System Configuration in Administrative Tools (in Windows 7).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 64Bit 7 not using all 4GB of ram




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App