Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: svchost.exe virus?


03 Aug 2010   #1

Windows7
 
 
svchost.exe virus?

Hello all!
It seems that from a day to another, my computer ( including internet ) started to have massive lags.Everytime I turn my router off so I can play S4League ( there's a topic I made to try to fix it but I couldnt do it so everytime I wanna play I gotta unplug my router)
A friend of mine told me to check the resource monitor and try to delete the process that was sending/receiving the most data, which is the process "svchost.exe(akamai)"
I really dont know what to do to fix this :S
I have run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, avast scan, etc.. and none of them found any viruses.
Here's a picture of the process.

Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/mnuberlagp


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Aug 2010   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Svchost.exe process | What is Svchost.exe file?
This will give you a better idea of what svchost are and how to handle them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #3

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PRiMO View Post
A friend of mine told me to check the resource monitor and try to delete the process that was sending/receiving the most data, which is the process "svchost.exe(akamai)"
Do you have any Adobe stuff? Akamai amongst other things has a download manager that Adobe utilises for its downloads.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Aug 2010   #4

Windows7
 
 

Yeah I had an Adobe Reader update but I did it and the svchost.exe still remains sending about 9k B/sec !

EDIT: I mentioned this before but it might matter I think.. This lag caused by svchost.exe only happens when I unplug my router and connect the modem directly to my computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #5

 
 

I uninstall the Adobe Download Manager as soon as it's finished.
Adobe Reader is a lot like Java in respect that you don't really need them to check for updates. Whenever you (I) go to use either to view web based material I get a window opening up telling me that there's a newer version available. Because I delete Akamai as soon as it's finished I can't tell you if it plants itself in Windows Services. But if it did and I wanted to keep it, I'd set its Service to Manual and do a bi-weekly start up to check for updates
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2010   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Is the svchost.exe located in the System32 folder? Many large corporations use Akamai as hosts for local services. Adobe, McAfee, ZA, Symantec, even Windows Update. Do you use a firewall? If so, see if the logs have more detail. If this is a recent issue, what have you installed recently that might be responsible. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #7

Windows7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sympatico View Post
I uninstall the Adobe Download Manager as soon as it's finished.
Adobe Reader is a lot like Java in respect that you don't really need them to check for updates. Whenever you (I) go to use either to view web based material I get a window opening up telling me that there's a newer version available. Because I delete Akamai as soon as it's finished I can't tell you if it plants itself in Windows Services. But if it did and I wanted to keep it, I'd set its Service to Manual and do a bi-weekly start up to check for updates
Well I went to programs list and i didnt have Adobe Download Manager installed.
How did you delete Akamai? Are there any consequences on deleting it? How did you set it's service to manual?

Quote:
Is the svchost.exe located in the System32 folder? Many large corporations use Akamai as hosts for local services. Adobe, McAfee, ZA, Symantec, even Windows Update. Do you use a firewall? If so, see if the logs have more detail. If this is a recent issue, what have you installed recently that might be responsible. A Guy
Yes it is in the system32 folder. atm im using windows firewall but I wanna install comodo firewall but I dont know a good combination of an av with comodo. Well the only thing it may caused this, IMO, is some Auto-Clicker I downloaded from Baixaki I think. No setup, no install. As soon as I downloaded it, it started right away.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #8

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Make sure you're connected to the internet and then scan using Hitman Pro 3 - SurfRight
It will remove any infection within 5-10 mins.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #9

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

run hitmanpro

surfright.nl
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2010   #10

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PRiMO View Post
How did you set it's service to manual?
(Set to small icon view) Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Services.
If it runs a service, it will be there, but to be honest it's that long ago since I've seen it I can't remember if it does run a service.

But take heed of other comments here. Adobe is not its only string to its bow.

This Adobe link tells you all about how to un-install the manager. Good idea would be to check on your system using which ever method matches to actually see if you do have the download manager installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 svchost.exe virus?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: svchost.exe virus?
Thread Forum
Solved how to fix / clean windows from ramnit virus and virut virus? System Security
need help removing svchost.exe virus System Security
Want ideas for Virus removal if virus shows up in safemode CMD System Security
svchost.exe virus respawning BSOD Help and Support
Solved svchost.exe virus System Security
Virus in Svchost System Security
svchost virus System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33