Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: defrag c: -w -v worked on vista?

17 Aug 2010   #1

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 
defrag c: -w -v worked on vista?

when I open an elevated cmd on vista x86, and type... defrag c: -w -v
it worked.

on my Windows 7 x64 it does not.


anyone know why?


~Carmine

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Aug 2010   #2

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

What is "defrag c: -w -v" supposed to do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2010   #3

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Maybe if you read the help file...
Quote:
Microsoft Disk Defragmenter
Copyright (c) 2007 Microsoft Corp.

Description:

Locates and consolidates fragmented files on local volumes to
improve system performance.

Syntax:

defrag <volumes> | /C | /E <volumes> [/H] [/M | [/U] [/V]]
defrag <volumes> | /C | /E <volumes> /A [/H] [/M | [/U] [/V]]
defrag <volumes> | /C | /E <volumes> /X [/H] [/M | [/U] [/V]]
defrag <volume> /T [/H] [/U] [/V]

Parameters:

Value Description

/A Perform analysis on the specified volumes.

/C Perform the operation on all volumes.

/E Perform the operation on all volumes except those specified.

/H Run the operation at normal priority (default is low).

/M Run the operation on each volume in parallel in the background.

/T Track an operation already in progress on the specified volume.

/U Print the progress of the operation on the screen.

/V Print verbose output containing the fragmentation statistics.

/X Perform free space consolidation on the specified volumes.

Examples:

defrag C: /U /V
defrag C: D: /M
defrag C:\mountpoint /A /U
defrag /C /H /V
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Aug 2010   #4

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Maybe if you read the help file...
Quote:
Microsoft Disk Defragmenter
Copyright (c) 2007 Microsoft Corp.

Description:

Locates and consolidates fragmented files on local volumes to
improve system performance.

Syntax:

defrag <volumes> | /C | /E <volumes> [/H] [/M | [/U] [/V]]
defrag <volumes> | /C | /E <volumes> /A [/H] [/M | [/U] [/V]]
defrag <volumes> | /C | /E <volumes> /X [/H] [/M | [/U] [/V]]
defrag <volume> /T [/H] [/U] [/V]

Parameters:

Value Description

/A Perform analysis on the specified volumes.

/C Perform the operation on all volumes.

/E Perform the operation on all volumes except those specified.

/H Run the operation at normal priority (default is low).

/M Run the operation on each volume in parallel in the background.

/T Track an operation already in progress on the specified volume.

/U Print the progress of the operation on the screen.

/V Print verbose output containing the fragmentation statistics.

/X Perform free space consolidation on the specified volumes.

Examples:

defrag C: /U /V
defrag C: D: /M
defrag C:\mountpoint /A /U
defrag /C /H /V
I did read and I got >c/ again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2010   #5

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
What is "defrag c: -w -v" supposed to do?

it allows you to defrag from the command line.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2010   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Logic Earth posted the list of switches available.

I don't see a W switch.

Why are you attempting a W switch?

Or a V switch for that matter, if all you want to do is a simple defrag.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2010   #7

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

These are the only options:


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2010   #8

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

The /W switch is described as "Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate all file fragments, regardless of their size." What this implies is that file fragments larger than 64 mb too are optimized, this is simply not the case in Windows 7 which ignores the larger chunks. You can read all about the benefits of this change in design in this blog.

Disk Defragmentation – Background and Engineering the Windows 7 Improvements - Engineering Windows 7 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

So, theres no point in using the -w switch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2010   #9

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

On Vista, defrag -w does a full fragmentation and consolidation regardless of file size - Windows 7's defrag was changed so this is no longer necessary as the previous poster mentioned, so there's no need for a -w option anymore (Windows 7 does add the -x option, which tries to consolidate free space as well, although you must run -x separate from other options).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2010   #10

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
The /W switch is described as "Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate all file fragments, regardless of their size." What this implies is that file fragments larger than 64 mb too are optimized, this is simply not the case in Windows 7 which ignores the larger chunks. You can read all about the benefits of this change in design in this blog.

Disk Defragmentation – Background and Engineering the Windows 7 Improvements - Engineering Windows 7 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

So, theres no point in using the -w switch.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
On Vista, defrag -w does a full fragmentation and consolidation regardless of file size - Windows 7's defrag was changed so this is no longer necessary as the previous poster mentioned, so there's no need for a -w option anymore (Windows 7 does add the -x option, which tries to consolidate free space as well, although you must run -x separate from other options).

thank you guys
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 defrag c: -w -v worked on vista?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: defrag c: -w -v worked on vista?
Thread Forum
Auslogics Disk Defrag vs IObit Smart Defrag Software
Auslogics Defrag vs Win7 built-in Defrag? Performance & Maintenance
Does Puran Defrag 7.3 Free work with Windows 7 Defrag disabled ? Software
Windows Disk Defrag Doesn't Defrag Performance & Maintenance
Does Windows Defrag defrag system files? Performance & Maintenance
HP Color Laserjet 3500 worked with Vista; not 7 Drivers
Used Vista Glary Utilities to Defrag 7 Reg - Now BSOD BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33