Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System Repair Disk


04 Nov 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
 
 
System Repair Disk

I've created a system repair disk. How do I test it--how do I boot with it, just to be sure it'll work? Thanks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Nov 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Insert the repair disk in your CD/DVD drive. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from that drive as first option. (When you first start your machine you probably see a prompt to use F12 - or some other key - to enter setup. Setup lets you change the boot order.)

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...rderchange.htm

Restart your computer and if the repair disk was successfully made you should see a list of options to choose from. Or, you could simply put the disk in your CD/DVD drive, click start > computer > and open the drive. You should see "Files currently on the disc" and they should include boot, sources, and bootmgr.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
 
 

Did it. It worked. Thanks.

Just to clarify so I understand: When the computer boots from the CD, are the necessary operating system files on the CD (in either the boot or sources folder), and does the computer then use them to start the computer? Is that what's happening?

Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Nov 2010   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
Did it. It worked. Thanks.

Just to clarify so I understand: When the computer boots from the CD, are the necessary operating system files on the CD (in either the boot or sources folder), and does the computer then use them to start the computer? Is that what's happening?

Thanks again.
The repair disk doesn't contain the operating system. It simply lets you access various recovery options.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

For example, if you've created a system image and have it saved to an external hard drive, one of the recovery options is System Image Recovery. By clicking on that option you can access your external drive and reinstall the system image bringing your computer to the exact condition it was in at the time the system image was made. As long as your computer is working where you can access your start menu and the various applications on your hard drive, you may not have to use the repair disk.

Again, as an example, if you can access your start menu you can type Restore in the search box and then click on Backup and Restore under Programs. This will open the backup and restore dialog box where you can click on Recover System Settings > Advanced Recovery Methods > Use A System Image You Created Earlier. This allows you to use the system image on the external hard drive just like the repair disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
 
 

Excellent, very useful information and link. Thanks.

Sorry, but I meant boot disk. I'm using a boot disk. It appears to be working, but how do I confirm that the computer did indeed boot from the optical drive?

Is a "repair disk" the same as a "boot disk"?

Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #6

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
Excellent, very useful information and link. Thanks.

Sorry, but I meant boot disk. I'm using a boot disk. It appears to be working, but how do I confirm that the computer did indeed boot from the optical drive?

Is a "repair disk" the same as a "boot disk"?

Thanks again.
Some computers have an "F" key option to bring up a boot menu when the computer is starting up, for instance I believe to bring up the boot menu on Dell computers you hit F12. After bringing up the boot menu you can specifically select the optical drive as the boot device and then observe it being accessed as the system starts up. Also, a boot disk usually brings up a screen with options quite different than the hard disk OS desktop - that's a clear indication that the system booted from the optical drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
Excellent, very useful information and link. Thanks.

Sorry, but I meant boot disk. I'm using a boot disk. It appears to be working, but how do I confirm that the computer did indeed boot from the optical drive?

Is a "repair disk" the same as a "boot disk"?

Thanks again.
A boot disk and a repair disk are similar. Microsoft explains it here:

What is a boot disk (startup disk) and why would I need one?

Depending on how / where your boot disk was obtained will determine what else is on the disk. I might be totally wrong here but I believe, starting with Vista and now Win 7, the installation disk also functions as a boot disk. Prior to Vista (XP and earlier) you could create a boot disk on floppies because floppy drives were more likely to be a part of computers as compared to CD/DVD drives. Victek gave a nice summary on how you can tell if the computer booted from the optical drive.

Just my own opinion but I think the best thing you can do is create a system repair disk. Fits nicely on a standard CD. Then make a system image of your computer on an external hard drive (DVDs are hit and miss, get damaged, lost, etc.) As long as you can boot your computer you won't need the repair disk. But if your system gets totally hosed and you can't boot into it, the repair disk and system image will be worth their weight in gold.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

If you see the normal desktop apper- then you have booted your regular installation of Windows on the Hard drive.

If you see a blue background with a little window showing startup repair - then you have successfully booted the repair disc.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
Excellent, very useful information and link. Thanks.

Sorry, but I meant boot disk. I'm using a boot disk. It appears to be working, but how do I confirm that the computer did indeed boot from the optical drive?

Is a "repair disk" the same as a "boot disk"?

Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
 
 

Thanks, victek and siw2.

I have 2 CDs I'm working with. The first is a Dell Windows 7 boot disk that I made pretty much as soon as I started using a new computer (July 2010). The second is a Macrium recovery disk, which I created when I downloaded Macrium Reflect a few months ago.

The Dell disk produces a black screen with the message, "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD." I press any key, I hear the CD drive whir, and the message, "Windows is loading files" appears. That seems to take forever, and I didn't let that complete. I was satisfied that it was booting from the CD.

The Macrium CD produces a green screen with a Linux message that I missed, which took me to the "image restore wizard." I followed the prompts and arrived at my external hard drive's backup images that I created with Macrium. I'm satisfied that if I needed it, I could restore my computer from the image I had created.

I think both of these CDs work. So what's an ISO file then? And how come I cannot locate it on my computer?

I don't think I really need anything more than the two CDs I have to recover from a serious problem. Or do I?

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #10

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
Thanks, victek and siw2.

I have 2 CDs I'm working with. The first is a Dell Windows 7 boot disk that I made pretty much as soon as I started using a new computer (July 2010). The second is a Macrium recovery disk, which I created when I downloaded Macrium Reflect a few months ago.

The Dell disk produces a black screen with the message, "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD." I press any key, I hear the CD drive whir, and the message, "Windows is loading files" appears. That seems to take forever, and I didn't let that complete. I was satisfied that it was booting from the CD.

The Macrium CD produces a green screen with a Linux message that I missed, which took me to the "image restore wizard." I followed the prompts and arrived at my external hard drive's backup images that I created with Macrium. I'm satisfied that if I needed it, I could restore my computer from the image I had created.

I think both of these CDs work. So what's an ISO file then? And how come I cannot locate it on my computer?

I don't think I really need anything more than the two CDs I have to recover from a serious problem. Or do I?

Thanks.
An ".ISO" is a file from which a bootable optical disk can be created. For instance my backup program came with an ISO that I used to burn a boot CD in the event I needed to restore an image. The Macrium Recovery Disk you created may have been made from an ISO that was included in Macrium.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System Repair Disk




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: System Repair Disk
Thread Forum
Repair CD - System Repair Disk Performance & Maintenance
Solved Question About System Repair Disk Installation & Setup
System repair disk Performance & Maintenance
Solved System Repair Disk? General Discussion
System repair disk problem Performance & Maintenance
Win 7 System Repair Disk General Discussion
System Repair Disk not booting into repair options Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33