Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Questions about Backing up?


27 Nov 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Questions about Backing up?

I have questions about backing up.

I know You can use CD'S to back up but I do not want to because they eventually break and don't hold that much space.

Should I buy a external hard-drive?

Also I don't have to use CD'S what does this mean I went to back up and it says I can back up on my DVD drive?

Also there is something called a Acer factory disc. Can you put this on a external hard-drive to? or can it only go on a disc?

Thank you very much



Attached Thumbnails
Questions about Backing up?-untitled2.jpg  
Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Nov 2010   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

CDs or DVDs are useless for any serious backups. I recommend you get a couple of external drives for that. here is a website that gives you an idea: Deals on Storage Devices

The Acer Factory disc is an installation/recovery disc that needs to be read with the optical (CD) reader.

Here is how I do my backups: Imaging with free Macrium
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2010   #3

win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
Go External

Get a dock that you can easily exchange drives by just unpluging and plugging in. You can get one that will run esata and/or usb. Then get a large 500Gig or Terabyte drive and use it for backups. You won't be sorry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Nov 2010   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Thank you both for the ideas. Looks like I'll look for a external hard-drive that 750GB drive on that website you posted is pretty cheap.

I tried putting a CD in to download the Acer thing on there says I need a DVD.

So you definitely can't put the acer factory on a drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2010   #5
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

You need 2 DVDs to make the Acer Factory Recovery disks. These will enable you you restore your computer to the state when you first turned it on. Acer will have an eRecovery area allowing you you do the same factory recovery from a hidden partition on your internal HDD.

You will also need to make at some stage a "System Repair Disk". This is an important DVD which you can make within Windows. The option will appear on the Backup & Restore page. With Acer you shouldn't need to download one.

Images , backups etc always use the ext HDD approach you are planning.
Windows inbuilt imaging and backup works fine for most people.
By all means get free imaging software like Macrium Reflect free as a safeguard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2010   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Agree, get a large external HDD, eSATA connection will be the fastest.

Macrium Reflect is a very good free backup program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2010   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I don't understand what is imaging software used for do you necessarily need it to back up stuff?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2010   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Josh7 View Post
I don't understand what is imaging software used for do you necessarily need it to back up stuff?
Depends what you mean by "stuff". If you want to backup your user data, you can just copy it to any other (preferably external) drive. But if you want to backup the OS and all the installed programs with all their settings and tweaks, then you need imaging. When you restore the image, your system will look exactly the same way it was when you took the image - and that can include your user data too.
Have a look at this, it may give you a better feel for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Josh7 View Post
I don't understand what is imaging software used for do you necessarily need it to back up stuff?
Depends what you mean by "stuff". If you want to backup your user data, you can just copy it to any other (preferably external) drive. But if you want to backup the OS and all the installed programs with all their settings and tweaks, then you need imaging. When you restore the image, your system will look exactly the same way it was when you took the image - and that can include your user data too.
Have a look at this, it may give you a better feel for it.
Wow thats awesome so lets say my computer broke right now. I had external and I was using this software. I got my computer to work again but everything was lost. Does this software store on the external hard drive to or what?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2010   #10
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Josh7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Josh7 View Post
I don't understand what is imaging software used for do you necessarily need it to back up stuff?
Depends what you mean by "stuff". If you want to backup your user data, you can just copy it to any other (preferably external) drive. But if you want to backup the OS and all the installed programs with all their settings and tweaks, then you need imaging. When you restore the image, your system will look exactly the same way it was when you took the image - and that can include your user data too.
Have a look at this, it may give you a better feel for it.
Wow thats awesome so lets say my computer broke right now. I had external and I was using this software. I got my computer to work again but everything was lost. Does this software store on the external hard drive to or what?
Case1 - Lets say your system stops working because of a virus or any other software malfunction. Then you just pull in the last image (from when the system was still OK) and you are back in business. That restore operation takes appr. 20 to 30 minutes (depending on the imaging program you use and the speed of your disk).

Case2 - Your disk with the OS and all your data breaks. Then you buy a new disk, install it and pull in the image from the external disk - same operation as above. In little time you are back in business.

Case3 - your computer broke completely because you dropped it or it fell into the water. Here an image cannot help you because you cannot transfer it to another system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Questions about Backing up?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Questions about Backing up?
Thread Forum
SSD backing up Backup and Restore
Solved Backing up an SSD Backup and Restore
Need Help in backing up OS Backup and Restore
I need help backing up Backup and Restore
Backing Up Questions Performance & Maintenance
Backing up EVERYTHING Performance & Maintenance
Backing up to a DVD General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33