Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Chkdsk Results, can someone please help?


11 Dec 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Chkdsk Results, can someone please help?

Hey there guys, I'm new to this forum, hope I'm posting in the right place. Also hope you guys can help me out. Below are results of a read only Chkdsk I ran from a GUI program. It showed some results that I could not get from the standard chkdsk, my computer I believe has some corrupt registry files, although I cannot determine this for sure as I dont really have knowledge about Registry errors and stuff. I can provide more information if needed, just let me know what you guys need to help and again any and all help is appreciated. All info is below.

What I've already tried: CCleaner, to analyze, came up with tons of errors, If I knew how to or could I would save the results from that as well and list them here. Again only used to analyze havent cleaned anything yet. Chkdsk from cmd line, as well as from explorer, Tuneup utilities disk utility, all of them would not work. It counts down the chkdsk and freezes at one second. As you know from cmd line it will not run as the disk is in use. ( Drive in question is C: drive). I have ran hardware tests, such as SeaTools ( my hardrive is a Seagate ), Dell PRE boot diagnostics ( this checks RAM and other things, not sure what all exactly), all came up clean. Several virus and malware tests, again all clean. So I'm positive it's not a hardware issue. I have considered a clean install of windows 7, but again Id just like to know what these results mean, and/or any other steps I could take to repair, or figure out what is going on with my system. I have also done an upgrade install of windows 7, this did not fix the problem.

Errors I receive while using system:
Registry hot key errors with certain programs. Very SLOW system, sluggish programs, they stop responding and freeze constantly. My system has 4gigs of RAM and a core duo processor, I'm pretty sure it should handle daily use, and my photoshop program, but lately it does not. When I reboot my system I am automatically booted with a windows classic theme, like from Windows 2000. I can change it but it changes back when I restart. Startup is slow,and I have disabled most startup programs and it is still slow.

CHKDSK GUI Results:

Checkdisk of C: (Read only mode) started !

Started on : 2010/12/11 00:18:32

The type of the file system is NTFS.
The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk
might report errors when no corruption is present.
Volume label is OS.
WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.
CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
508672 file records processed.
File verification completed.
8896 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
57 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index entry SY0215~1.GTH in index $I30 of file 1077 is incorrect.
Index entry SY4584~1.CRW in index $I30 of file 1077 is incorrect.
Index entry SystemIndex.5.Crwl in index $I30 of file 1077 is incorrect.
Index entry SystemIndex.5.gthr in index $I30 of file 1077 is incorrect.
Index entry filter_raw.log.1 in index $I30 of file 474590 is incorrect.
Index entry FILTER~1.1 in index $I30 of file 474590 is incorrect.
Index entry SEC8A6~1.JS in index $I30 of file 507247 is incorrect.
Index entry sessionstore.js in index $I30 of file 507247 is incorrect.
615860 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

Checkdisk of C: (Read only mode) completed !

Ended on : 2010/12/11 00:20:26

Time elapsed : 114 seconds

Also, I know it says corruption may be false while running, but I still dont understand the results. If ANYONE could take a stab at clarifying it would be awesome.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Dec 2010   #2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

With the number and variety of errors you're having, it would be more productive to just backup data and do a repair install.

Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
With the number and variety of errors you're having, it would be more productive to just backup data and do a repair install.

Repair Install
Yeah I get that. :/ Again and clarification on the problems/errors? Humor me please.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Dec 2010   #4

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

If you insist....

1) First of all, why are you running chkdsk in read only mode? Run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated Command Prompt (that way it'll fix any errors it finds). When it says it can't do it right now and asks if you'd like to do it at the next reboot, answer Y, then press Enter. Then reboot and let the test run.

Elevated Command Prompt

2) Regarding CCleaner, it has 2 cleaning modes- regular and registry. Regular cleans out temp files and other unnecessary files depending on what you have checked in the options. The registry scanner brings up obsolete and orphaned entries. These are left over entries from uninstalled programs, this is what you are seeing. In my experience these are completely safe to remove, but if you want to be extra careful you can backup before cleaning- CCleaner gives you that option.

3) As for other problems such as sluggish computer etc., these could be caused by any no. of issues such as driver conflicts, obsolete versions of programs, corrupted system files and malware. There are various diagnostic methods to help identify and fix such problems. E.g. a clean boot (starting windows with minimal drivers) or safe mode will help identify driver issues, sfc scan will fix whatever corrupted system files it can etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
If you insist....

1) First of all, why are you running chkdsk in read only mode? Run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated Command Prompt (that way it'll fix any errors it finds). When it says it can't do it right now and asks if you'd like to do it at the next reboot, answer Y, then press Enter. Then reboot and let the test run.

Elevated Command Prompt

2) Regarding CCleaner, it has 2 cleaning modes- regular and registry. Regular cleans out temp files and other unnecessary files depending on what you have checked in the options. The registry scanner brings up obsolete and orphaned entries. These are left over entries from uninstalled programs, this is what you are seeing. In my experience these are completely safe to remove, but if you want to be extra careful you can backup before cleaning- CCleaner gives you that option.

3) As for other problems such as sluggish computer etc., these could be caused by any no. of issues such as driver conflicts, obsolete versions of programs, corrupted system files and malware. There are various diagnostic methods to help identify and fix such problems. E.g. a clean boot (starting windows with minimal drivers) or safe mode will help identify driver issues, sfc scan will fix whatever corrupted system files it can etc.
Im convinced people refuse to answer registry issue questions, either lack of knowledge or lack of want to help, as i know the subject is a tricky and complicated one. But thanks for the info, unfortunately it's all useless and already well known. I stated the issues above, I also stated the steps Ive tried. I have ran chkdsk ALL ways. It does not run, from an elevated cmd promt, from c:>properties>chkdsk, from tuneup utilities disk checker, any way I try it, again as stated above i reboot, it starts, it counts down from " hit any key to skip scan in 3..2..1.. " and freezes at one. I do not hit any keys, I do nothing and yet it still skips or does not work at all. I either reboot or the system does it for me, but chkdsk does not run no matter how you slice it, unless I run it from a 3rd party GUI software I downloaded, and again I did read-only because that is the only way it would run. I KNOW it's a registry issue, error logs show it, what I dont know is how to identify said corrupted files, or what the results above mean. I cannot decipher these results, even if chkdsk had completed fully. I thought the results above would atleast give some insight to other members, and they would attempt to clarify what files/folders, and/or what section they are in, or how the files got corrupted. OR Even how to repair said files. ( without doing a clean install or reformat. ) Also it is most certainly not virus or malware.
So yeah, thanks, but doesnt help. Sry. You didnt at all attempt to clarify the errors, and I do not know how to restate the question or post in order for you to understand what information Im trying to get. Thanks again though. Maybe someone else can help me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #6

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

Perform a SFC Scan

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'. Be patient because the scan may take some time

3. If any files require a replace SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Windows 7 DVD for this process to continue

4. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

5. After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.

more information here How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #7

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

also have you ran a antivirus program complete scan of system and files?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #8

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
If you insist....

1) First of all, why are you running chkdsk in read only mode? Run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated Command Prompt (that way it'll fix any errors it finds). When it says it can't do it right now and asks if you'd like to do it at the next reboot, answer Y, then press Enter. Then reboot and let the test run.

Elevated Command Prompt

2) Regarding CCleaner, it has 2 cleaning modes- regular and registry. Regular cleans out temp files and other unnecessary files depending on what you have checked in the options. The registry scanner brings up obsolete and orphaned entries. These are left over entries from uninstalled programs, this is what you are seeing. In my experience these are completely safe to remove, but if you want to be extra careful you can backup before cleaning- CCleaner gives you that option.

3) As for other problems such as sluggish computer etc., these could be caused by any no. of issues such as driver conflicts, obsolete versions of programs, corrupted system files and malware. There are various diagnostic methods to help identify and fix such problems. E.g. a clean boot (starting windows with minimal drivers) or safe mode will help identify driver issues, sfc scan will fix whatever corrupted system files it can etc.
this is sound advice to use from bill2 make sure you are using the windows repair options while you are in admin rights
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
Perform a SFC Scan

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

A message will appear stating that 'The system scan will begin'. Be patient because the scan may take some time

3. If any files require a replace SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Windows 7 DVD for this process to continue

4. If everything is okay you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

5. After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window, restart the computer and check.

more information here How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
Ok this is my bad, I didnt list all the cmd lines I already tried. But I have tried that as well. To no success. This morning I FINALLY got Chkdsk to run from the GUI I mentioned about. No problems showed, again no problems. It said drive was clean and rebooted like normal. This cant be right, as I'm still having the slow and sluggish issues.
Also if you read the whole post, I have tried several manual and automatic virus and malware scans, searching files including but not limited to the system files. Again this isnt a virus type issue, nor a hardware one. Anyway I guess since chkdsk came up ok there isnt really anything else I can do huh?
The system is still messing up, same problems although Im not getting the hotkey errors anymore. I go to check my event viewer and for some reason it only shows up until 11/12/10, thats obviously not the date today, where are all my logs from then until 12/11/10?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #10

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

yes i have had funny things happen registry keys get messed up the best way sometimes is to system restore
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Chkdsk Results, can someone please help?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Chkdsk Results, can someone please help?
Thread Forum
Solved Tools Chkdsk with no /f /r says errors, bootup chkdsk says none Hardware & Devices
Solved PSI Scan Results Software
Solved how to use see more results General Discussion
Solved Chkdsk results Performance & Maintenance
MSE results System Security
Overclocking. I know how to do it but results are odd? Performance & Maintenance
Odd WEI Results, or is it just me? Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33