Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WEI score worse now


19 Jan 2011   #1

Win pro 64bit
 
 
WEI score worse now

Hello all,

I don't get hung up on my computers WEI score, no really, but. Why would the processor and memory scores be getting worse?

About three weeks ago I had a processor score of 7.8, it's an i7980x straight out of the box, not OC'd, it's now 6.3. My corsair ram has gone from 7.8 to 7.3.

Last week I installed a Highpoint Rocket Raid 620 PCIEX card and software, today I installed a MSI N460 GT Hawk Graphics card. Would these new cards effect the processor and ram performance.?

Previously I have run memtest for 24 hours and found no problems.

Can processors die slowly? Is there any way of checking if it's running well?

Thanks for your help

James

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jan 2011   #2

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Correct. Also, installing anything that would include filter drivers (antivirus, antimalware, etc) that would affect all I/O on the box can also lower scores artifically, because the tests will take longer to run due to the additional IRPs needed to service those filter drivers for every single I/O request on the system (thus lowering the scores for things like disk, memory, and CPU).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2011   #3

Win pro 64bit
 
 

Ah, thanks guys, seems these things happen. I was a little concerned, but hopefully I won't notice any reduction in processing power.

As for the PSU, it's an 850w Corsair, I'm running 7 drives, the cards, cpu and ram. Do you think that's enough power?

Are there any programs that check CPU health?

Thanks again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jan 2011   #4

Win pro 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
Correct. Also, installing anything that would include filter drivers (antivirus, antimalware, etc) that would affect all I/O on the box can also lower scores artifically, because the tests will take longer to run due to the additional IRPs needed to service those filter drivers for every single I/O request on the system (thus lowering the scores for things like disk, memory, and CPU).

Thanks cluberti,

I don't have an anti malware program running and I'm using MS essentials for email and av scanning. Do you think this could be having an effect?

Cheers

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2011   #5

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Could be, although not likely that much (usually you see a .1 or .2 drop at most in scores before and after installing most antivirus software, not just MSE).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2011   #6

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by james cullen View Post
Hello all,

I don't get hung up on my computers WEI score, no really, but. Why would the processor and memory scores be getting worse?

About three weeks ago I had a processor score of 7.8, it's an i7980x straight out of the box, not OC'd, it's now 6.3. My corsair ram has gone from 7.8 to 7.3.

Last week I installed a Highpoint Rocket Raid 620 PCIEX card and software, today I installed a MSI N460 GT Hawk Graphics card. Would these new cards effect the processor and ram performance.?

Previously I have run memtest for 24 hours and found no problems.

Can processors die slowly? Is there any way of checking if it's running well?

Thanks for your help

James
Hi James - Not trying to get you concerned but that seems like quite a drop in your processors WEI. I also have a 980X (which also has a WEI of 7.8) My Processors WEI has never changed since the first day I got my computer. It's still the same even though I have installed an enormous number of Programs.

Just my raw gut feeling but I think you have something funny going on. Why don't you try downloading Intel's free Processor ID Utility - it will check your CPU's actual frequency UNDER LOAD (It "Loads" all six cores to 100% for about 30 seconds as it starts up). It might give you a clue. If it reports a frequency lower than what you're supposed to have then you KNOW you have some kind of problem.

You can get it at
Intel® Processor Identification Utility — Intel® Processor Identification Utility download

Good Luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2011   #7

Win pro 64bit
 
 

Ah, thanks happyman, that link will come in handy.

Well the score got to 5.9 last night for the processor, I got frustrated and reinstalled the OS and reinstalled things in an ordered fashion and found that a particular driver/program was not only causing the processor to slow but the dreaded slow boot up syndrome.

The culprit was the Realtek HD audio driver, the newest one from the Gigabyte update site. The driver that comes with the board works fine and does not slow the processor or startup, but as soon as that new driver was installed things went down hill. The driver was delivered/recommended by the Gigabyte update manager.

I have reinstalled the os and the processor is scoring 7.8 again, the ram is back to 7.8 also, I'll slowly install my programs and hope there are no conflicts.

I have a love hate relationship with computers.

Thanks for your help

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2011   #8

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by james cullen View Post
Ah, thanks happyman, that link will come in handy.

Well the score got to 5.9 last night for the processor, I got frustrated and reinstalled the OS and reinstalled things in an ordered fashion and found that a particular driver/program was not only causing the processor to slow but the dreaded slow boot up syndrome.

The culprit was the Realtek HD audio driver, the newest one from the Gigabyte update site. The driver that comes with the board works fine and does not slow the processor or startup, but as soon as that new driver was installed things went down hill. The driver was delivered/recommended by the Gigabyte update manager.

I have reinstalled the os and the processor is scoring 7.8 again, the ram is back to 7.8 also, I'll slowly install my programs and hope there are no conflicts.

I have a love hate relationship with computers.

Thanks for your help

James
Youre LUCKY you found that one !!!!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Good work finding that, hopefully it will be clear sailing from now on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WEI score worse now




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: WEI score worse now
Thread Forum
What was the worse OS that you have used? (not just windows) Chillout Room
Solved GMX mail is getting worse. Browsers & Mail
BSOD getting worse by the day. BSOD Help and Support
PC getting progressively worse? BSOD Help and Support
WORSE than the BSOD BSOD Help and Support
Oh no its worse! Help! Performance & Maintenance
Is W7 worse when doing upgrades? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33