Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why does any windows get slow over time?

04 Jul 2009   #1
aheyn

Windows 7 RC
 
 
Why does any windows get slow over time?

Hey all,

I'm actually running Windows 7 RC, but have found it to be the case with this also.

Always after a few weeks/months, Windows slows down considerably from when you first installed it. This is despite my having auto defrag on every week, cleaning up temp files etc.

I know more services might be installed with programs, but other than this what do people think is the reason for this 'bit rot' of sorts?

When I was testing out drivers I installed Win7RC on another partition of a different hard drive, and that was super fact and responsive as this was when first installed. Obviously the slow down isn't huge, but it is definitely noticeable.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Jul 2009   #2
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aheyn View Post
Hey all,

I'm actually running Windows 7 RC, but have found it to be the case with this also.

Always after a few weeks/months, Windows slows down considerably from when you first installed it. This is despite my having auto defrag on every week, cleaning up temp files etc.

I know more services might be installed with programs, but other than this what do people think is the reason for this 'bit rot' of sorts?

When I was testing out drivers I installed Win7RC on another partition of a different hard drive, and that was super fact and responsive as this was when first installed. Obviously the slow down isn't huge, but it is definitely noticeable.
Consider an operating system like a car.

Both start out brand new, nothing wrong, fast as heck (ahem.. except for some Operating Systems/Cars).

Over time both the car and OS receive wear and tear, both lose performance, noticeably as you stated, but nothing HUGE if you keep it maintained. Sure there are tools to help kick up the performance a tad bit though, those usually do not help that long.

Nothing stays the same as when you first got it, its physically and digitally impossible. There is ALWAYS something changing whether it is visibly noticeable or not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2009   #3
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

I have always thought that Windows is like a fresh sandwich that you would eat immediately or would spoil over time. Due to temp files gathering up, freagmentation, startup programs (some add themselves....)services, and registry clutter....things go the way of the tortoise rea fast. My only reccomendation is to check your startup list and consult with others for a reg cleaner safe for Windows 7 (if you say ccleaner don't use it right now....kills 7 because of what it gets rid of)

Good ole Smilies to compare Windows too
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Jul 2009   #4
aheyn

Windows 7 RC
 
 

lol, I'm not sure if comparing an OS to a car is exactly suitable! Cars wear down because parts and components wear down from repeated use, whereas assuming other things identical - if you opened and closed a program 1000 times, it won't 'wear' down just for that act. If you sat and revved the engine continually or went over the same bumpy road repeatedly, you'd wear down the engine and suspension. But I get the general gist

I guess I'm just wondering exactly what areas would cause slow downs. As I said, I auto defrag each week so their is no real significant fragmentation to speak of. I know some programs add services that will start on boot etc and cause slowdowns, but what else? Registry fills with some incorrect entries etc (Boostspeed cleans this up, and deletes temporary files from installs etc)... just wondering what other things would cause this pronounced slowing down?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2009   #5
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aheyn View Post
lol, I'm not sure if comparing an OS to a car is exactly suitable! Cars wear down because parts and components wear down from repeated use, whereas assuming other things identical - if you opened and closed a program 1000 times, it won't 'wear' down just for that act. If you sat and revved the engine continually or went over the same bumpy road repeatedly, you'd wear down the engine and suspension. But I get the general gist

I guess I'm just wondering exactly what areas would cause slow downs. As I said, I auto defrag each week so their is no real significant fragmentation to speak of. I know some programs add services that will start on boot etc and cause slowdowns, but what else? Registry fills with some incorrect entries etc (Boostspeed cleans this up, and deletes temporary files from installs etc)... just wondering what other things would cause this pronounced slowing down?
When I said wear and tear I ment from everyday use.

Car - Driving to work, running errands, misc.
OS - Working with files, browsing online, listening to music, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2009   #6
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

Is it really slowing down (it probably is), or is it as you get used to it you are getting used to the speed of the machine. My machine is fast (Gateway FX-7026 Intel Core2 Quad with 16 Gb of memory), and when it was new a year ago (damn time flies) it was fast. Now a year later it seems a little slower; is that because of the O/S or just something that is perceived.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2009   #7
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
windows slowing down

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aheyn View Post
Hey all,

I'm actually running Windows 7 RC, but have found it to be the case with this also.

Always after a few weeks/months, Windows slows down considerably from when you first installed it. This is despite my having auto defrag on every week, cleaning up temp files etc.

I know more services might be installed with programs, but other than this what do people think is the reason for this 'bit rot' of sorts?

When I was testing out drivers I installed Win7RC on another partition of a different hard drive, and that was super fact and responsive as this was when first installed. Obviously the slow down isn't huge, but it is definitely noticeable.
It is inevitible that windows will get slower. think of all the application we install, and all the ways we adjust thins. they have to be stored in registry. as registry grows it takes longer to read it (not much if it only had to be read once) and the number of files grow.

Its also not like you can shrink windows by removing apps. there is a folder in windows called winsxs that grows huge. When 32 bit win is frehly installed that winsxs file is abt 4 gigs by the time its through its 10, or 15, 0r 30gigs.

Windows slowdown is both software related (user profile, apps, winsxs) and hardware related disk drives run slowly and so it takes longer to find things

If you want to keep you system as fast as possible install as few apps as you can anddefrag the HD, clean the registry, and dont modify tons of things in your user profile

Hope this helps

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2009   #8
Orbital Shark

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
It is inevitible that windows will get slower. think of all the application we install, and all the ways we adjust thins. they have to be stored in registry. as registry grows it takes longer to read it (not much if it only had to be read once) and the number of files grow.

Its also not like you can shrink windows by removing apps. there is a folder in windows called winsxs that grows huge. When 32 bit win is frehly installed that winsxs file is abt 4 gigs by the time its through its 10, or 15, 0r 30gigs.

Windows slowdown is both software related (user profile, apps, winsxs) and hardware related disk drives run slowly and so it takes longer to find things

If you want to keep you system as fast as possible install as few apps as you can anddefrag the HD, clean the registry, and dont modify tons of things in your user profile

Hope this helps

Ken
+1 Ken, the more the registry gets 'crowded' the more is read when accessing certain parts. It may only be a fraction of a second but if you're anything like me then you notice it. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ken
If you want to keep you system as fast as possible install as few apps as you can anddefrag the HD, clean the registry, and dont modify tons of things in your user profile
I wouldn't trust a registry cleaner though, they can pick up on things that are needed e.g. Ccleaner tells me there's errors on a 100% clean install, just IMO




Jeff
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2009   #9
BuzWeaver

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane2424 View Post
I have always thought that Windows is like a fresh sandwich that you would eat immediately or would spoil over time. Due to temp files gathering up, freagmentation, startup programs (some add themselves....)services, and registry clutter....things go the way of the tortoise rea fast. My only reccomendation is to check your startup list and consult with others for a reg cleaner safe for Windows 7 (if you say ccleaner don't use it right now....kills 7 because of what it gets rid of)

Good ole Smilies to compare Windows too
I find I don't have any issues with CCleaner if I Uncheck Missing Shared DLLs, Active X and Class Issues. I use Acronis True Image Home and it has a great build in System Cleaner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jul 2009   #10
Funkyfresh

Windows 7 7264 x64
 
 

the reasons for slowing down have been put well in the above posts.

The best way of keeping things running slowly is to keep the machine fresh to start with...my golden rule is - dont load unecessary apps

I use Total uninstall (TU) to take snapshots before/after a normal install. then when you decide you no longer need the app, TU will remove all registrty entries/dll/services etc that may not be totally removed. Most apps will leave behind various bits of clutter, particularly in the registry

Also, it has the benefit of allowing you to see what an app installs, in case you think there may be virus/malware etc in an install (torrents anyone?!)


I havent seen much real world evidence of registry cleaners speeding things up - they give you a "feel good" factor of believing your machine is less cluttered, but I personally havent noticed any speed boosts. Plus in the wrong hands they can be dangerous if you dont understand what you are removing


martin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why does any windows get slow over time?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to prevent Windows from getting slow as time passes?
When i install fresh windows it remains fast. But then after few days it starts getting slow, takes time to increase speed after start up. Etc
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 starter running slow all the time
Hi, I owned an acer netbook (can't remember the model number) for 2 years and it ran brilliantly. Very fast and responsive with windows 7 starter. I had to replace it this year due to a hardware fault and so I decided to go again with an Acer netbook. This time the slightly newer Aspire- D270. I...
General Discussion
Windows 7 slow boot time (3min+)
Hello, I am not sure as to why my computer is so slow all the time. Specially when it boots up. Here are some details I have gathered for anyone who wishes to help me out: OS: Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) Processor: Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz 2.20GHz RAM: 16.0 GB (14.9 GB...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 x64 very slow in use plus 5min boot time
Hi everyone Over the last few weeks my computer seems to be slowing down considerably. To the point now where it takes +5mins to boot and once in operation programs/file browsing often lag and the "not responding" message appears. Also upon opening programs and files, windows lags and the blue...
General Discussion
W7 Slow Boot Time and Overall Slow performance
Hi new to these forums and I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I formated my HDD and did a clean install (W7 7100 build) but I'm noticing slow boot times and slow performance compared to Vista x64. W7 boots at least 10secs slower and programs tend to lag (aren't as snappy compared to...
Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:40.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App