Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do you keep your system running at it's best?


04 Apr 2011   #1

Windows 8 Pro x64; Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 on VirtualBox
 
 
How do you keep your system running at it's best?

How do you keep your system running at it's best, so you won't have to re-install for as long as possible? Your favorite software/tweaks/optimizations? Here's a list of what I like to do plus the software I install to help me out (all free stuff ):

Tweaks/Optimizations:
1. Immediately after a fresh install/full system update, I follow Black Viper's guides.
2. Then I follow this forum's Optimize guide.
This is done before I install any software.

Software I like:
1. CCleaner
2. Wise Registry Cleaner (free)
3. Wise Disk Cleaner (free)
4. Defraggler
5. GlaryUtilities (free)
6. Advanced Disk Cleanup (built-in, not really software, cleanmgr /sageset:50, cleanmgr /sagerun:50)
7. Msconfig and disable startup items after installing all programs

I defrag/clean regularly......and only install software I need, and don't install any beta stuff.

What do you do? Have any suggestions for me?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Apr 2011   #2
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello, use this and you will never (should never) have to do another clean install.

Imaging with free Macrium
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Pretty much, Windows 7 is one of the most tweaked OS's that you can use. Microsoft has tweaked this one, real good. I just let if run and use a good firewall, virus/malware protection, latest updates, latest drivers, don't install a lot of gunk, and just let it be.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Apr 2011   #4

Windows 8 Pro x64; Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 on VirtualBox
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello, use this and you will never (should never) have to do another clean install.

Imaging with free Macrium
Thanks for the suggestion, I've thought about doing this....but I don't have enough space to do so. I've got no external hard drives....the largest hard drive I have other than my main system is 80GB......and that too is in a computer. As much as I'd love to do this....I really can't. I would get an external HDD, but I have much more important things to buy now, lol.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by p5bdkw View Post
Pretty much, Windows 7 is one of the most tweaked OS's that you can use. Microsoft has tweaked this one, real good. I just let if run and use a good firewall, virus/malware protection, latest updates, latest drivers, don't install a lot of gunk, and just let it be.
So you don't do any cleanups/defraggs at all (advanced disk cleanup, example)? I agree, Windows 7 is Microsoft's best OS ever released....but everything slows down eventually....even Linux, lol. As of tweaking....I don't tweak the hidden stuff (services), just stuff like disabling indexing, adjusting Aero settings, disable auto defrag, UAC etc. Sometimes its a good idea for me to defrag cuz of all my dozens of CD's backed up as FLAC files
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2011   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

McDougal, I would highly recommend to get an external disk asap. A PC without it is only half a PC. The day your system crashes you will appreciate to have images. Here are some at very reasonable prices - less than $50 and up. Storage Devices Deals - Deals2buy.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2011   #6

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

If your Windows 7 system slows down over time, then it's cleanup time or you're installing crap (or both). I've run a few machines as Windows 7 since RTM back in August 2009, and some of those were beta upgrades to RC to RTM. Keeping my personal files on a separate drive, only installing what I needed, and using built-in or Microsoft tools where possible (Windows firewall, defrag.exe, and MSE, for example) and all run at least as they did when first installed (in fact, slightly better post-SP1).

The tweaking "craze" back in the XP days is just no longer relevant for performance on a Windows 7 box. The only real legitimate reason to monkey with Windows 7 nowadays is to cram it on a small SSD, but running that long-term will be difficult and is really not a good idea with SSD prices being much lower now than they were mid-2009.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello, use this and you will never (should never) have to do another clean install.

Imaging with free Macrium
Thanks for the suggestion, I've thought about doing this....but I don't have enough space to do so. I've got no external hard drives....the largest hard drive I have other than my main system is 80GB......and that too is in a computer. As much as I'd love to do this....I really can't. I would get an external HDD, but I have much more important things to buy now, lol.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by p5bdkw View Post
Pretty much, Windows 7 is one of the most tweaked OS's that you can use. Microsoft has tweaked this one, real good. I just let if run and use a good firewall, virus/malware protection, latest updates, latest drivers, don't install a lot of gunk, and just let it be.
So you don't do any cleanups/defraggs at all (advanced disk cleanup, example)? I agree, Windows 7 is Microsoft's best OS ever released....but everything slows down eventually....even Linux, lol. As of tweaking....I don't tweak the hidden stuff (services), just stuff like disabling indexing, adjusting Aero settings, disable auto defrag, UAC etc. Sometimes its a good idea for me to defrag cuz of all my dozens of CD's backed up as FLAC files
I defrag once a week. I've tried all the other tweaks and don't notice a difference in performance after applying them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2011   #8

Windows 8 Pro x64; Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 on VirtualBox
 
 

Thanks whs for the advice...I'll consider it later, I've got too much going on now to afford something even if it's that cheap lol. I'll definitely keep it in mind, possibly as soon as next month.

@cluberti, wow lol, I've reinstalled at least three times since I got this laptop a year or two ago. My laptop has some odd hardware....well, it's really only my clock speed of 1.3GHz and Intel GMA graphics. But my system requires a tad more tweaking than the new ones thesedays.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2011   #9

Windows Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Hi again McDougal. As all the pro's here will and have told you, Win 7 does not require "tweeking". You will also find lots of posts here regarding "Registry Cleaners". I would get rid of the Wise Registry Cleaner you have been using.

By the way did you try the Cobian backup program?

Regards
JohnnyA
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2011   #10

Windows 8 Pro x64; Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 on VirtualBox
 
 

Thanks for the reply , think I'll follow everyone's advice and remove the registry cleaner and not try anything for a while.

About Cobian...it's working great! Very helpful to make sure all of my stuff is backed up, I'll continue to use it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do you keep your system running at it's best?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How do you keep your system running at it's best?
Thread Forum
Query re running a 5.1 0r 7.1 system Sound & Audio
How's your system running? Performance & Maintenance
After Running System restore :( Backup and Restore
System running slow, freezing up BSOD Help and Support
Just installed the system, can't get it running. BSOD Help and Support
System sleeeps even though apps running Software
Are my system temps running too high in new W7 Pro 64 ? Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33