Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: slow laptop

10 Apr 2011   #1
theski232

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 
slow laptop

my laptop is less than a year old and in the past few weeks it has become really slow. i am not sure what the problem is but i would be grateful if someone could help me


My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #2
DreemWarrior

Windows 7 ultimate X64
 
 

Download and run a FULL scan with Malwarebytes and post the result. We'll go from there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #3
Karln

Windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theski232 View Post
my laptop is less than a year old and in the past few weeks it has become really slow. i am not sure what the problem is but i would be grateful if someone could help me
Windows slows down because it gets dirty over time and so because it install many soft and update. To resolve this problem you can defragment the hard drive, verify is you are not a malware or virus, used msconfig in ms dos command if you don't want that all software are launched in early.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #4
theski232

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

the scan is still running and so far nothing is infected (out of 80,000+ objects/files), i will post the complete results when finished scanning
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #5
theski232

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Karln View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theski232 View Post
my laptop is less than a year old and in the past few weeks it has become really slow. i am not sure what the problem is but i would be grateful if someone could help me
Windows slows down because it gets dirty over time and so because it install many soft and update. To resolve this problem you can defragment the hard drive, verify is you are not a malware or virus, used msconfig in ms dos command if you don't want that all software are launched in early.
i already checked the hard drive and it said that is was 0% fragmented
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #6
cluberti

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Could you describe what "slow" is, specifically? Is it slow to boot, slow to run certain apps, etc?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #7
Karln

Windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

-gestion-w7.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #8
theski232

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
Could you describe what "slow" is, specifically? Is it slow to boot, slow to run certain apps, etc?
it is slow on start up, some times i have to hold down the power button to shut the computer down then restart b/c it doesnt boot properly, or it will boot properly but will be very slow opening applications after booting up, or the screen will be blank with only a mouse for a few minutes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #9
cluberti

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Does it ever work "properly" at all, or does it always exhibit some slowness? Also, is slow booting or shutting down the most common issue?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2011   #10
McDougal

Windows 8 Pro x64; Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 on VirtualBox
 
 

I'd recommend doing a Disk Cleanup and installing and running CCleaner (don't run the registry cleaner, and carefully look through its settings to make sure it doesn't mess anything up more). Also go into Run and type msconfig, go to startup tab, disable anything you know you don't need....my advice, if you don't know what it is, don't disable it .

Is your system fully updated? What antivirus are you using? How much RAM does your system have? I see you're using 64-bit OS, IMHO you should have more than 2GB to get the best performance.

What also might be a good article to look at is the Optimize Windows 7 guide.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 slow laptop




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: slow laptop
Thread Forum
Laptop getting slow day by day Performance & Maintenance
seriously slow i7 laptop - something not right Performance & Maintenance
Solved Slow Wireless Speeds - Laptop is fine, Desktop is SLOW Network & Sharing
Laptop slow [tried almost everything] Performance & Maintenance
Laptop slow Performance & Maintenance
laptop slow Performance & Maintenance
laptop going slow General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App