Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Improve Windows 7 Startup

13 Apr 2011   #1
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 
Improve Windows 7 Startup

The knowledge base article is not truly informative. Consequently, I have no real advise as to the wisdom of applying this hotfix.

An update that improves the startup performance of Windows 7 and of Windows Server 2008 R2 is available


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Apr 2011   #2
RitualJman

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

It would be nice if they would come up with a patch or some thing that gives you better start up performance as mine takes awhile to boot up even with the specs of my computer.

RitualJman
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #3
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RitualJman View Post
It would be nice if they would come up with a patch or some thing that gives you better start up performance as mine takes awhile to boot up even with the specs of my computer.

RitualJman
What do you mean by "A While".

My system is a i5 760, 2.8, Overclocked to 3.8 and I just installed a SSD yesterday as a OS & programs drive.
Even before installing the SSD my system booted from hitting the power button to Welcome screen in about 40 - 50 seconds, that is with all the POST diagnostics done for the RAM, CPU and Chipset my motherboard does automatically. After typing in my password to full functional desktop about another 10 seconds. Since the install of the SSD it has shortened by about 10-15 seconds overall.

Just how long does your system take from a cold boot to a functioning desktop.
And how many processes are running.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Apr 2011   #4
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

type msconfig into the start-menu searchbox.

look at the startup tab - you've probably got lots of programs starting up with windows, delaying the boot.

most of them can be safely disabled - make sure you leave any entries to do with antivirus/malware.

if you're unsure about which ones to keep, post a screenshot and we can advise further.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #5
RitualJman

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

My system tasks about 3-4 minutes to get to a fulling working desktop from a cold start. I have ran many virus scans i have run a couple in safe mode, even done a boot scan and nothing. I have also tried CCleaner and that has made the boot a little bit fast but not much. I have checked MSCONFIG but I am very picky on what boots with my computer. As far as I can see there is nothing on the would really slow it down. I should mention that most of the time is at the Splash screen that says windows is starting before the welcome screen.

Thanks
RitualJman

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  59.7 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #6
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

hmm - okay fair enough, you've already well-pruned your msconfig startup doodah.

what's the 'MicrosoftWindows / Unknown' entry?

not sure what your problem is in that case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #7
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RitualJman View Post
My system tasks about 3-4 minutes to get to a fulling working desktop from a cold start. I have ran many virus scans i have run a couple in safe mode, even done a boot scan and nothing. I have also tried CCleaner and that has made the boot a little bit fast but not much. I have checked MSCONFIG but I am very picky on what boots with my computer. As far as I can see there is nothing on the would really slow it down. I should mention that most of the time is at the Splash screen that says windows is starting before the welcome screen.

Thanks
RitualJman

Attachment 149112
Why do you need the audio control panel and CCC to start at boot? As for the 2 entries for windows, expand the columns in msconfig to check what they are- they are usually the sidebar etc. And what is xfire?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #8
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

xfire is a gaming utility, so you can see which servers your friends are playing on, and quickly join them etc.

do you really need it to start at each boot? can you not start it manually when you need it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #9
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
My system is a i5 760, 2.8, Overclocked to 3.8 and I just installed a SSD yesterday as a OS & programs drive.
Even before installing the SSD my system booted from hitting the power button to Welcome screen in about 40 - 50 seconds, that is with all the POST diagnostics done for the RAM, CPU and Chipset my motherboard does automatically. After typing in my password to full functional desktop about another 10 seconds. Since the install of the SSD it has shortened by about 10-15 seconds overall.
Heh yeah, with an SSD on one of my machines, I sometimes end up at the login screen a second or so before the keyboard has even finished booting up itself
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2011   #10
RitualJman

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

I have Xfire starting up at boot because this is my Gaming computer and thats really all i do on it is game. I have a laptop for doing emails music facebook etc.

microsoftwindows (unknown) file location is: C:users\JJLandry\AppData\Roaming\Windows32.exe

I can turn off the CCC and the HD audio Control Panel with out having problems and it should help fix my problem?

Thanks
RitualJman
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Improve Windows 7 Startup




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Improve Windows 7 performance
Can anyone supply me with the link to Brink's Improve Win 7 performance? Thanks In advance. Ich
Performance & Maintenance
How to improve 5.9 PC rating. How to improve disc data transfer
how to improve my computer rating score of 5.9 while still maintaining a decent overall PC temperature; I understand that, that is the highest windows 7 will allow? rating is low due to low disc data transfer. How to improve?
General Discussion
New HDD, transfer windows, improve performance
I decided to get a SAMSUNG HD103SJ as it has twice the benchmark score compared to my current drive. I will copy my current drive onto this to get the most benefit. I imagine I would get most benefit from re-installing win 7 from scratch again but I don't think I want the hassle. This will...
Hardware & Devices
how to improve had disk windows score ?
as you can see in picture , the lowest score is the hard disk one , how can-i improve it ? my hard disk is THIS ONE
Performance & Maintenance
Any advice to improve windows 7 performance?
I have a horribly outdated motherboard, so upgrading the CPU isn't an option, and upgrading the RAM would be a waste of money. So what can I change through software to make it a little more responsive? I was using build 7077 x86, 7100 x64 seems faster in some places, but slower in others. with just...
Performance & Maintenance
How does Windows 7 improve performance?
This isn't a bad article. The most interesting part for me was the following comment ""The top compatibility issue when a new version of Windows comes out is drivers checking for a very specific version." In other words, many drivers say "if this doesn't equal Windows XP, then don't install",...
News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App