wow, that sucked.
i just downloaded an exe that i knew to be just a self-extracting archive. i wanted to open in in winrar to look inside, so i right-clicked, chose 'open with', and picked winrar.
boom - all my exes were suddenly associated with winrar. i was moving too fast, and didn't notice the 'always' box was checked. i couldn't run anything! i was frantic. i needed to get online. i tried to run firefox from the task manager - no luck. i tried to bring up CMD - no luck.
after a few minutes of trying to run firefox, i finally realized that i could run an app "as administrator" and things would open. got online, and after some searching found a reg fix that sorted my problem out, but only after a good 10 minutes of frustration.
it definitely shouldn't be this easy to muck things up