Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Error Checking...

12 Jun 2011   #1
Kray Z

Windows 7 Premium x64
 
 
Error Checking...

When i check for errors on my computer i get a message saying it can't check when it's in use.Why?

Here's a screen shot:




My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #2
Wallonn7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Hi Kray Z.
As the operating system is in use, there are Windows files
loaded, as well as third party, which by itself prevents such files to be checked during the checking for errors. The check is done at boot before such files are loaded, so the question in the message. I hope I was clear.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #3
Hopalong X

Windows7 Pro 64bit SP-1; Windows XP Pro 32bit
 
 

Click the "Schedule disk check" button then reboot and it will run Disk Check before Windows loads.

Tutorial- Step 1-9 you figured out and Step 11 is where you are getting to with above Snip. Step 11A Restart computer.
Here: Disk Check
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #4
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kray Z View Post
When i check for errors on my computer i get a message saying it can't check when it's in use.Why?

Here's a screen shot:

The why has been explained fully.

This is how I do my disk check.....

Start > search box, type cmd > top left, right click cmd.exe > Run As Administrator > at the flashing point of the cmd window, type
chkdsk /f/r
> press Enter.
( Note : there is a space between " chkdsk " and " / "

The screen will tell you .... this cannot be done now but do you want to do it on restart ( I am paraphrasing ). Type Y as in yes. > exit cmd window > shut down computer > restart > diskcheck will begin > will take quite some time > sit back and wait > do NOT turn off the machine.

adding ....

RE : chkdsk /f/r

/f = Fixes errors on the disk
/r = Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #5
Kray Z

Windows 7 Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kray Z View Post
When i check for errors on my computer i get a message saying it can't check when it's in use.Why?

Here's a screen shot:

The why has been explained fully.

This is how I do my disk check.....

Start > search box, type cmd > top left, right click cmd.exe > Run As Administrator > at the flashing point of the cmd window, type
chkdsk /f/r
> press Enter.
( Note : there is a space between " chkdsk " and " / "

The screen will tell you .... this cannot be done now but do you want to do it on restart ( I am paraphrasing ). Type Y as in yes. > exit cmd window > shut down computer > restart > diskcheck will begin > will take quite some time > sit back and wait > do NOT turn off the machine.

adding ....

RE : chkdsk /f/r

/f = Fixes errors on the disk
/r = Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information

Thanks will try this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #6
cluberti

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Note you don't actually need to do /f and /r together, you only need /r (it also does /f automatically if you specify /r). Just a heads-up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #7
Kray Z

Windows 7 Premium x64
 
 

So i tried the "chkdsk /f/r" thing it worked..i just wanted to see if my PC had any error's.Thanks for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #8
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kray Z View Post
So i tried the "chkdsk /f/r" thing it worked..i just wanted to see if my PC had any error's.Thanks for the help.
You are welcome.
If no objection, I shall ask the mod to close this thread.

t-4-2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Error Checking...




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Error Checking...
Thread Forum
Disk Checking Error on Windows Startup Hardware & Devices
Error checking memory hog Performance & Maintenance
error checking does not work Performance & Maintenance
Disk Checking Error Performance & Maintenance
Disk Error Checking Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 Error Checking at startup Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App