Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Memory Usage - Windows 7 too high

03 Sep 2011   #1

windows 7 64bit
 
 
Memory Usage - Windows 7 too high

Does this look excessive? I am using a Sony Vaio and there are 142 processes which seem too high. The Physical Memory is 78% or higher typically. Could anyone advise?



Attached Thumbnails
Memory Usage - Windows 7 too high-rm.jpg   Memory Usage - Windows 7 too high-wtm.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Sep 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
 
 

Hello there, k1bb5. Welcome to SevenForums

Yes, it's very high usage for a regular PC.

1) lxecmon.exe is using way too much memory. Do you have any Lexmark hardware?
2) 142 processes is WAY too much for regular use, right now i have 40 processes and using 1.34GBs of RAM
3) Does the laptop have its original Windows installation? (with all the bloatware)
4) Have you analyzed your PC for virus/malware?

Something is not right with that CPU/RAM usage
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2011   #3

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by k1bb5 View Post
Does this look excessive? I am using a Sony Vaio and there are 142 processes which seem too high. The Physical Memory is 78% or higher typically. Could anyone advise?

In task manager you have 8 instances of Internet explorer running for over 400 Mb, and as Punkster says your Printer software is also using way too much

Why 8 separate instances of IE? For each IE instance there also has to be an instance of svchosts running as well contributing yet again to more processes and memory used.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Sep 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
 
 

Practically everything is using way too much memory..

Why don't you download Malwarebytes' Anti Malware from here: Malwarebytes : Thank you!

Install it, update it, reboot your PC, boot into safe mode with networking (Pressing F8 after BIOS post) and perform a full scan... just to be sure.

There are a lot of processes that i don't even recognize and could (not 100% sure but could) be virus/malware.

Do that and report back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2011   #5

windows 7 64bit
 
 

HI Punkster/Zig thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

Malware found a couple of Adware
xvidsetup(1).exe (Adware.Hotbar) -> No action taken.
xvidsetup.exe (Adware.Hotbar) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{A078F691-9C07-4AF2-BF43-35E79EECF8B7} (Adware.Softomate) -> No action taken.

The Lexmark Wifi printer has normalised that did look odd. lxecmon.exe The printer was off anyway so that was v strange.

Aside from that its back to the old wmpnetwk.exe that was the initial cause of large mem usage. Its difficult to get rid of it and SKype.exe at start up doesn't help either. These I had gotten rid off from start up but they have since bounced back of their own accord today.

The laptop by the way is probably top heavy with Sony Media products as part of initial set up of windows installation. Yes so original bloatware + Sony additionals. which take all processes now to 127. however 15 are svchost.


ZigZag - you mentioned IE; I had three instances and probably 10 tabs, alot i know but that should be normal, thought that was the point of tabbed browsers?

Have attached new Resource Montitor and WTM. It's actually quite laughable the system can be so badly configured.. Thanks again.


Attached Thumbnails
Memory Usage - Windows 7 too high-rm2.jpg   Memory Usage - Windows 7 too high-wtm2.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
 
 

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!

wmpnetwk.exe is using 2.5GBs?????

Go to your media player and disable its connection to the internet.. don't let it go to the internet..

Here's a quick solution for that:

1) go to start and type "services.msc" without the quotes, open it.
2) go to Media Player Network Sharing Service, right click it, stop it.
3) right click it again, go to properties.
4) on startup type, change it to manual. Apply and accept.
5) reboot your PC and check that the service is not running automatically.

Do that if you don't use WMP to share music/videos/stuff on the network (your house, another PC, etc.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2011   #7

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by k1bb5 View Post
HI Punkster/Zig thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

Malware found a couple of Adware
xvidsetup(1).exe (Adware.Hotbar) -> No action taken.
xvidsetup.exe (Adware.Hotbar) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{A078F691-9C07-4AF2-BF43-35E79EECF8B7} (Adware.Softomate) -> No action taken.

The Lexmark Wifi printer has normalised that did look odd. lxecmon.exe The printer was off anyway so that was v strange.

Aside from that its back to the old wmpnetwk.exe that was the initial cause of large mem usage. Its difficult to get rid of it and SKype.exe at start up doesn't help either. These I had gotten rid off from start up but they have since bounced back of their own accord today.

The laptop by the way is probably top heavy with Sony Media products as part of initial set up of windows installation. Yes so original bloatware + Sony additionals. which take all processes now to 127. however 15 are svchost.


ZigZag - you mentioned IE; I had three instances and probably 10 tabs, alot i know but that should be normal, thought that was the point of tabbed browsers?

Have attached new Resource Montitor and WTM. It's actually quite laughable the system can be so badly configured.. Thanks again.
There were 8 "separate" instances of IE. Tabs just increase that instances ram usage. For each instance there is a separate communication service running (also increasing ram usage0

It may be what tabbed browser are for but then one cant complain about the number of processes or ram usage.

Perhaps your usage requires a faster processor and more ram.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
 
 

His PC has 4GBs of RAM, i don't think that's the problem

Probably the processor. or the fact that there's a process that's eating 2.5GBs of RAM

Can you believe that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2011   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Noted. I was just saying that his usage pattern may be exceeding his resources.

I have seen users who need 8 gigs just for their day to day work. There is no way 8 instances of IE plus his printer software is going to be easy on h is cpu, ram, power, or heat.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Noted. I was just saying that his usage pattern may be exceeding his resources.

I have seen users who need 8 gigs just for their day to day work. There is no way 8 instances of IE plus his printer software is going to be easy on h is cpu, ram, power, or heat.
Of course, the average user needs 2 ~ 4GB of ram, even so... there are some users that need at least 8GB, Lexmark software has always given me problems... they're not fully compatible with windows 7 and they're memory hungry!

But yes, 8 instances of IE is not "normal", he's probably a multitasking guy.. and yes, multitasking = more ram, more CPU.

And if the OP hasn't filled his system specs, it's kinda hard not to speculate
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Memory Usage - Windows 7 too high





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Memory Usage - Windows 7 too high
Thread Forum
chkdsk high memory usage / memory leak Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 Freezing , Blank Screens, Slow and High Memory usage General Discussion
Solved High cpu and memory usage Performance & Maintenance
high memory and cpu usage General Discussion
memory usage high Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 random CPU usage and high physical memory usage!!! Performance & Maintenance
High memory usage? Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33