Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Copying/Moving Files why so slow?


18 Nov 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 
Copying/Moving Files why so slow?

Hello All,

Since I got Windows 7 I have learned it is the same as Windows Vista not much difference, well except the new boot loading screen. Anyway why does it take so long for this to copy or move files?

I am copying moving 4GB of data from my USB to my external hard drive and it takes forever, it says 1 hour remaining, it;s all ready been here for good 40 minutes now.

Why is windows 7 so slow and copying/moving files?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Nov 2011   #2

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

is it the drives that are slow, or the operating system? or is it antivirus software sniffing the data?

it sounds as if you're transferring a big file from a usb stick to another usb external drive. it's bound to take time.

lots of people recommend teracopy, which is meant to speed up file transfers, although i've never tried it myself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
is it the drives that are slow, or the operating system? or is it antivirus software sniffing the data?

it sounds as if you're transferring a big file from a usb stick to another usb external drive. it's bound to take time.

lots of people recommend teracopy, which is meant to speed up file transfers, although i've never tried it myself.
Yes I am moving from files from a 8GB USB stick to a Desktop 500GB seagate hard drive. The hard drive is pretty fast.

However that is still not the point, because even though I copy from internal drive's it is still slow. And no anti-virus software is not scanning.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Nov 2011   #4

 
 

If you expand the copy window (status/progress) to show the Megabytes/sec, what does it show? I've found the following:

copying from internal SATA to old internal IDE drive = 30MBytes/sec

copying from internal SATA to USB stick = 9Mbytes/sec

USB is just unbelievably slow.

I tried reformatting the USB stick with a bigger cluster size (from 4096 to 32K) but no difference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimLewandowski View Post
If you expand the copy window (status/progress) to show the Megabytes/sec, what does it show? I've found the following:

copying from internal SATA to old internal IDE drive = 30MBytes/sec

copying from internal SATA to USB stick = 9Mbytes/sec

USB is just unbelievably slow.

I tried reformatting the USB stick with a bigger cluster size (from 4096 to 32K) but no difference.

Well it is finished not but it was around 1-2MB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #6

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CriticalError View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JimLewandowski View Post
If you expand the copy window (status/progress) to show the Megabytes/sec, what does it show? I've found the following:

copying from internal SATA to old internal IDE drive = 30MBytes/sec

copying from internal SATA to USB stick = 9Mbytes/sec

USB is just unbelievably slow.

I tried reformatting the USB stick with a bigger cluster size (from 4096 to 32K) but no difference.

Well it is finished not but it was around 1-2MB
Ah, just noticed it was USB <--> USB. I thought it was USB stick to internal hard drive. Your numbers are likely within normal.

There might be something to be said about if both USBs were on the same "device" (I don't understand USB but there are like 2 USBs per DEVICE MANAGER USB device tree entry). Maybe the USB bandwidth sharing was the bottleneck?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Copying/Moving Files why so slow?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Copying/Moving Files why so slow?
Thread Forum
Do you believe in/trust software that speeds up copying/moving files? Performance & Maintenance
Solved Copying / moving files same like in Windows 8 Customization
W7 slows to unusable crawl when moving/copying files Performance & Maintenance
Having trouble moving/copying files from desktop to HDD lately. General Discussion
Extremely SLOW file copying/moving speed sometimes Performance & Maintenance
Major problems copying and moving files General Discussion
Windows 16835 ..copying/moving files General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33