Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Measure energy consumption


29 Jan 2012   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Measure energy consumption

Hi,

Is there a way to measure the energy consumption of the devices within my Notebook?
So that I can see ok, device XYZ is consuming the most part of the energy of my accumulator and switch it of (or upgrade the HW)

Does anyone know a way?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jan 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

You can measure the energy consumption of the entire notebook fairly easily if it is plugged into a wall socket.


What is an "accumulator"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2012   #3

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

If you have an APC UPS, you could plug your notebook into it and use PowerChute, which measures the power consumption in various ways. Of course, you would have to turn off anything else plugged into the UPS or it would add that into the measurement.


Attached Thumbnails
Measure energy consumption-apc.png   Measure energy consumption-apc2.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Jan 2012   #4

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You can measure the energy consumption of the entire notebook fairly easily if it is plugged into a wall socket.
How? o.O
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
What is an "accumulator"?
???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulator_(energy)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
If you have an APC UPS, you could plug your notebook into it and use PowerChute, which measures the power consumption in various ways. Of course, you would have to turn off anything else plugged into the UPS or it would add that into the measurement.
Maybe I don't have explained well enough what I want.
I want an overview how much energy the different devices in my Notebook consume.
CPU
Graphical card,
Display,
Harddisc,
...

PS: I habe a Lenovo Thinkpad T400s
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2012   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MPREv View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You can measure the energy consumption of the entire notebook fairly easily if it is plugged into a wall socket.
How? o.O
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
What is an "accumulator"?
???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulator_(energy)
A Killawatt tool will tell you total watts used by the entire PC, but it won't tell you about indivdual components within the PC. They cost about $20 and are available from Amazon, Newegg, and other retailers.

A Killawatt can also measure power consumption of any other device--TV, lamp, radio, etc.

An "accumulator" is apparently what is usually called a battery.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2012   #6

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

Use something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-In-Powe...ref=pd_cp_ce_1

With your laptop running I assume you could use your Power settings to turn off USB ports, HDD or Display and see how the reading changes.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2012   #7
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I am assuming accumulator = battery.
This might be worth a try (I've never used it so can't vouch for it)...looks interesting and free
Free software to monitor Laptop
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2012   #8

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
With your laptop running I assume you could use your Power settings to turn off USB ports, HDD or Display and see how the reading changes.
Hehe, ... jokeing
Really I want a software.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I am assuming accumulator = battery.
Hmm in my language there is a difference:
battery is a not rechargable electro chemical cell.
the accumulator is rechargable

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
This might be worth a try (I've never used it so can't vouch for it)...looks interesting and free
Free software to monitor Laptop
This is only monitoring the battery.
I want to see how much energy is consumed by:
CPU,
GPU,
Screen,
HDD,
Optical Drive;
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2012   #9
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

In our language (English) an electrochemical device called a battery can be chargeable (eg. in laptops) or not.

I haven't used the software I pointed you to but its blurb indicated it's goal was to better manage battery life before recharge. Did you try the software? Can you feedback anything for others?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2012   #10

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
In our language (English) an electrochemical device called a battery can be chargeable (eg. in laptops) or not.
Yes, i realized that,
I just explaind to cleaify why I chose that word.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I haven't used the software I pointed you to but its blurb indicated it's goal was to better manage battery life before recharge. Did you try the software? Can you feedback anything for others?
Yes and better manage battery life is what it does,
but this wasn't my goal
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Measure energy consumption




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Measure energy consumption
Thread Forum
WEI Could not measure Processor Performance. Performance & Maintenance
WEI - Cannot measure processor performance Performance & Maintenance
Top Gear - Units of measure Chillout Room
FCC to measure internet speeds Network & Sharing
WEI - Cannot measure processor performance Performance & Maintenance
Measure memory and programs Performance & Maintenance
Measure Bandwidth Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33