Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: chkdsk and window defender?

05 Feb 2012   #1
fluidmotion

Win7 Starter 32 bits
 
 
chkdsk and window defender?

do scan in window defender and chkdsk do the same jobs?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Feb 2012   #2
xxxdannyxxx

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Hello fluidmotion

Simple answer is no they are totally different. Have a look at the links below -
Disk Check
Windows Defender - Turn On or Off
Windows Defender Offline

Danny
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2012   #3
SledgeDG

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Nope not at all !They have completely different purposes/goals:

While chkdsk tests your harddrives/file systems for corrupted files, bad blocks etc.
Defender scans said harddrives for unsavory programs (virii, Trojans etc.)

-DG
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Feb 2012   #4
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Fluidmotion what anti virus do you use? Windows Defender is very old and outdated. Many use MSE which will turn off Windows Defender when installed.
Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows
As mentioned by others they are not the same.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2012   #5
Infinite

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 - 64 Bit
 
 

Check Disk fixes your Hard Drive and Windows Defender protects your system for viruses.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2012   #6
fluidmotion

Win7 Starter 32 bits
 
 

installed MSE,
i also have malwarebytes,



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Fluidmotion what anti virus do you use? Windows Defender is very old and outdated. Many use MSE which will turn off Windows Defender when installed.
Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows
As mentioned by others they are not the same.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2012   #7
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Very good choices. Now go to Start and type in Defender and check and make sure it is off. Just verifying. Another program I use is Super Anti Spyware free version. It is a tracking cooking finder and eater. Now just to round things off, make sure all things are update including Windows 7 and reboot.
Happy computing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2012   #8
fluidmotion

Win7 Starter 32 bits
 
 

windows defender is turned off,
i am not sure if my HP mini needs both MS security essential and malwarebytes.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Very good choices. Now go to Start and type in Defender and check and make sure it is off. Just verifying. Another program I use is Super Anti Spyware free version. It is a tracking cooking finder and eater. Now just to round things off, make sure all things are update including Windows 7 and reboot.
Happy computing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2012   #9
Cato

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fluidmotion View Post
windows defender is turned off,
i am not sure if my HP mini needs both MS security essential and malwarebytes.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Very good choices. Now go to Start and type in Defender and check and make sure it is off. Just verifying. Another program I use is Super Anti Spyware free version. It is a tracking cooking finder and eater. Now just to round things off, make sure all things are update including Windows 7 and reboot.
Happy computing.
I would keep them both if I were you. Once a week or so run Malwarebytes (remember to update before running) just to keep everything honest and in order. The two have worked in perfect concert for me for a few years.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2012   #10
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

MSE and MalwareBytes Anti Malware work well together. I would keep both.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 chkdsk and window defender?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
chkdsk window disappears while checking partition
I was running chkdsc manually on my internal drives today, and everything seems fine, except for one drive: My "D" drive, which is a partition of my main disc, along with "C". For C, I had to have it schedule the disc check as usual. All other drives dismount and check fine, then remount. For D, it...
Performance & Maintenance
Tools Chkdsk with no /f /r says errors, bootup chkdsk says none
AHCI disk. Running chkdsk from Properties Tools with no autofix says there are errors. Dismount the drive and reboot. Chkdsk reports no errors found. Properties Tools Chkdsk still syas there are errors. Auslogics Defrag also says there are errors.
Hardware & Devices
MSE and Window defender
is windows defender offline and MSE have the same power of getting rid of viruses? whats the advantage of them to each other? and if im already infected with virus is windows defender offline can detect or restore the infected files? im using MSE now and im just observe that viruses was...
System Security
Windows Defender pops-up its window upon startup, even if disabled
When Windows Update prompted to restart upon installation of updates (Nov. 10, 2011), and I restarted my computer, this Windows Defender window now pops-up everytime I start my computer: http://i.imgur.com/3HB3V.png I had Windows Defender enabled for months now, when this happened. I then...
System Security
window defender
how can i enable it as it says program is blocked by group policy how can i unblock it
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:02.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App