Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Do you reccomend an optimization suite?

07 Feb 2012   #1
FreeWolF

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Do you reccomend an optimization suite?

Hello!

I have a question: I've always used only Ccleaner and Defraggler for the maitenance of my system.
But, if I wanted to try something different, do you reccomend to use an optimization suite (for example Ashampoo win optimizer or auslogic boostspeed)?

And if so, what program do you reccomend?

Thanks a lot in advance!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Feb 2012   #2
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I don't recommend any of these tools. You will find many here who feel the same way. Most of the stuff is nothing more than snake oil.

Windows 7 does a great job of managing itself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2012   #3
Devux

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

pparks1 hit it right on the head, let Windows 7 take care of itself. Don't worry, it does a much better job than XP did. If you need any kind of third party "optimization" software a lot of people on here will recommend CCleaner as a replacement/supplement for Disc Clean Up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Feb 2012   #4
wanchoo

Windows 7 Pro with SP1 32bit
 
 

I very strongly recommend Tuneup Utilities. I have been using it from Windows 95 days through Windows 7 and it has always done an excellent job.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #5
manhunter2826

Windows XP - Now Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).
 
 

in addition to excellent ccleaner, this has its uses (free)

Glary Utilities Screenshots - Free Utilities to Clean Registry, Fix PC Errors, Clean Privacy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #6
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

IMHO don't use any tune-up/optimizer program on Windows 7. Read through post here and you will find that many problems people have are because they have used a 3rd part program to tuneup/optimize/ect. These types of programs fiddle with the registry which is not a good thing to do. When you do have a problem after using one of these programs nobody knows what that program has done so it's very hard to fix without doing a fresh install. Let Windows 7 be Windows 7 and you will become pleased as you learn how to use it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #7
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FreeWolF View Post
Hello!

I have a question: I've always used only Ccleaner and Defraggler for the maitenance of my system.
But, if I wanted to try something different, do you reccomend to use an optimization suite (for example Ashampoo win optimizer or auslogic boostspeed)?

And if so, what program do you reccomend?

Thanks a lot in advance!!


Current accepted wisdom with Win 7 is to NOT use a cleaner/optimizer.

If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized it shouldn't.

In other words, injudicious use of "Registry cleaners" CAN AND DOES cause problems.

There is no reliable way for a third party program to know whether any particular key is invalid, redundant or neither.


FYI
http://www.whatthetech.com/2007/11/2...istry-cleaner/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #8
MWRed

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FreeWolF View Post
Hello!

I have a question: I've always used only Ccleaner and Defraggler for the maitenance of my system.
But, if I wanted to try something different, do you reccomend to use an optimization suite (for example Ashampoo win optimizer or auslogic boostspeed)?

And if so, what program do you reccomend?

Thanks a lot in advance!!


Current accepted wisdom with Win 7 is to NOT use a cleaner/optimizer.

If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized it shouldn't.

In other words, injudicious use of "Registry cleaners" CAN AND DOES cause problems.

There is no reliable way for a third party program to know whether any particular key is invalid, redundant or neither.


FYI
Do I need a Registry Cleaner? | What the Tech
I'll second this.

Optimizers have more chance to do harm than do any good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #9
kf9vh

windows 7
 
 

I ran Auglogics Registry Cleaner and Zappit. My machine seems more responsive and I have not noticed any problems as a result. Your mileage may vary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #10
wanchoo

Windows 7 Pro with SP1 32bit
 
 

Just because sometimes an applet in an Optimizing Suite has caused trouble to a few, it does not mean that one should condemn them wholesale and paint them with a tarred brush. Before rejecting any of one of them they should be given a fair trial in accordance with the principles of natural justice. Windows also frequently gives trouble.

As I had stated earlier I have used Tuneup Utilities for more than 10 years without the slightest problem. Thus condemning this optimizing suite in a sweeping manner without using it does not gel with me. If however someone has used it and found bugs in it then I shall be very interested to learn about them.

There may be other optimizing suites too that I have never used that may be just as good. I think the traditional wisdom about the use of Optimizing Suites needs to be revisited for having a second look.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MWRed View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FreeWolF View Post
Hello!

I have a question: I've always used only Ccleaner and Defraggler for the maitenance of my system.
But, if I wanted to try something different, do you reccomend to use an optimization suite (for example Ashampoo win optimizer or auslogic boostspeed)?

And if so, what program do you reccomend?

Thanks a lot in advance!!


Current accepted wisdom with Win 7 is to NOT use a cleaner/optimizer.

If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized it shouldn't.

In other words, injudicious use of "Registry cleaners" CAN AND DOES cause problems.

There is no reliable way for a third party program to know whether any particular key is invalid, redundant or neither.


FYI
Do I need a Registry Cleaner? | What the Tech
I'll second this.

Optimizers have more chance to do harm than do any good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Do you reccomend an optimization suite?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
RAM Optimization
Hello there, Here I am again, seeking some good advices :P I just made a RAM upgrade from 6 to 8 GB and it feels like almost nothing happened. A few details OS Win 7 x64, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GB, HDD 1TB (not SSD, true can be the main cause), 4 X Corsair 2GB DDR2, 800MHz, PC2-6400,...
Hardware & Devices
SSD + HDD Optimization
Hi, I just bought a MSI GS60 ghost pro running Win 8.1 64bit with a 128G SSD from Kingston and a 1TB HDD. I was wondering if I can do something to optimize their performance? From my understanding SSD + HDD can't form a RAID right? Is there any kind of good software that can do some tricks?...
Performance & Maintenance
Would you reccomend applying MS KB article for powering down USB Ports
Hi again people!!! After finally replacing my old PSU I can use my external HDD in both my laptop and destop machines, but, since a time ago, I notice that XP is able to power down devices you safely remove, but Windows 7 is not... and everytime I use W7 with my external, I gotta unplug the...
Hardware & Devices
Nokia PC suite and Ovi suite
Hello friends what is diffrence between Nokia PC suite and Nokia OVI suite????
Software
Optimization
I was told (by a software engineer trying to sell me software) that my computer should be optimized every so often (3-months) to delete unnecessary files and make it run faster, and to delete any malware that may have got past the Windows Firewall and the anti-virus software. Is this true? How do...
Performance & Maintenance
CPU? What would you reccomend?
Hey everybody, I am looking for a new CPU. what would you recomend for me? (My CPU information is below). Current CPU: AMD Duron 'Applebread' Socket Type: A (Sadley) Any reccomendations on a good upgrade that is really fast?
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App