Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: May I delete these .NET framework files?


08 Feb 2012   #1

7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
 
 
May I delete these .NET framework files?

please see attached pic

not sure when these arrived but I think it has to do with other software installing .NET stuff. Well it's cluttering up my mile! can i erase that stuff and have no fear?




Attached Thumbnails
May I delete these .NET framework files?-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Feb 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Hello JL. It's my understanding that net framework is one of those things that builds upon earlier versions. In other words, if I remove net framework 2.0 from my machine it's very likely that 3.0, 3.5 etc will no longer work correctly or at all. If you have a program on your computer that needs a particular version of net framework in order for it to work properly, it's going to install whatever net framework versions it needs. You could always make a system restore point (or better yet, a system image), delete the net framework in question, and see if your machine still works the way you expect it to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #3

7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Hello JL. It's my understanding that net framework is one of those things that builds upon earlier versions. In other words, if I remove net framework 2.0 from my machine it's very likely that 3.0, 3.5 etc will no longer work correctly or at all. If you have a program on your computer that needs a particular version of net framework in order for it to work properly, it's going to install whatever net framework versions it needs. You could always make a system restore point (or better yet, a system image), delete the net framework in question, and see if your machine still works the way you expect it to.

thanks for the info

I was supposed to attach an image of the specific file but the forum is having some trouble right now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Feb 2012   #4

 

You should be able to upload now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #5

7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
 
 

still cant
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #6

7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
 
 

bump, because image is now uploaded. Can I safely remove those files because they are outside the program files folders?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64 Linux Mint 16
 
 

I would not delete any of the .net frameworks as some other programs are dependent on them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #8

7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
I would not delete any of the .net frameworks as some other programs are dependent on them.
ohhhkayy

but why they make my folder so messy?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Because you are showing hidden system files.

Just go into your folder options and hide system files so that you can't see them, but whatever you do, don't delete them.

Open Windows Explorer and click Organize>Folder & Search Items>View>Hide Protect Operating System Files>Apply>OK.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Feb 2012   #10

7 Ultimate 64 bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
Because you are showing hidden system files.

Just go into your folder options and hide system files so that you can't see them, but whatever you do, don't delete them.

Open Windows Explorer and click Organize>Folder & Search Items>View>Hide Protect Operating System Files>Apply>OK.

that option is ticked already as is "hide hidden files and folder"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 May I delete these .NET framework files?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: May I delete these .NET framework files?
Thread Forum
Solved Can you delete .chk files General Discussion
. NET Framework 4 updates made before Framework 4 was installed – upda Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Won't let me delete old files General Discussion
152 reg files - keep or delete ? Performance & Maintenance
.net framework 4 issue causing XNA framework 4 issues Windows Updates & Activation
Still looking at files that I can delete Performance & Maintenance
Delete XP Files, keep Boot Files Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33