Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: C drive getting filled up each time I poweron my system


26 Feb 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 
C drive getting filled up each time I poweron my system

Hi,
My C drive is getting filled up each time I power on my system.This happens in about 15 minutes and the free space available gets reduced to 0mb from 30gb each and everytime I power on my system.the next time I power on the system I have 30 gb free space again but that reduces to 0mb again in 15 minutes.I tried and removed some infections using malwarebyte an also did system restore but no use.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Feb 2012   #2

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Seems like virus infection and it generating temp files to fill up your C drive.Start your system in safe mode with networking,update Malwarebytes to latest virus definition and then do full scan of your system.

Let us know how it goes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2012   #3

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Seems like virus infection and it generating temp files to fill up your C drive.Start your system in safe mode with networking,update Malwarebytes to latest virus definition and then do full scan of your system.

Let us know how it goes.
Just edging in sideways, i'd be interested to know what Anti-virus the @OP has installed.
I would also suggest a virus-sweep by Housecall : HouseCall - Free Online Virus Scan - Trend Micro USA

regards,
sreedhav
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Mar 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 

Hi,
I ran a full scan with malwarebytes, but it couldn't find anything suspicious.Please help me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2012   #5

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dhaneshka View Post
Hi,
I ran a full scan with malwarebytes, but it couldn't find anything suspicious.Please help me.
Download WinDirStat from this site WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics and have a scan of your C drive.This utility shows disk usage statistics in graphical colored rectangles.This way you can easily see which files are filling up your hard drive and what is their extension.Post a screenshot of WinDirStat scan of your C drive in your next post.

This tutorial gives instructions how to post screenshots Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 

Hi Dreamer thanks..The problem is solved. I did a scan using Windirstat in C drive and it showed there is a huge file (28GB) inside Pctools directory inside the programfiles directory.I deleted that file in safe mode and the problem is solved. Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2012   #7

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dhaneshka View Post
Hi Dreamer thanks..The problem is solved. I did a scan using Windirstat in C drive and it showed there is a huge file (28GB) inside Pctools directory inside the programfiles directory.I deleted that file in safe mode and the problem is solved. Thanks

Glad your problem is solved.You are most welcome.I googled Pctools and they have a fairly good lineup of security products.If the ones installed in your system is about cleaning registry and such,i suggest you uninstall it completely as Windows 7 is fairly good in managing its own registry needs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dhaneshka View Post
Hi Dreamer thanks..The problem is solved. I did a scan using Windirstat in C drive and it showed there is a huge file (28GB) inside Pctools directory inside the programfiles directory.I deleted that file in safe mode and the problem is solved. Thanks

Glad your problem is solved.You are most welcome.I googled Pctools and they have a fairly good lineup of security products.If the ones installed in your system is about cleaning registry and such,i suggest you uninstall it completely as Windows 7 is fairly good in managing its own registry needs.

Hi,
It was something like sMonitor that I installed from Pc tools.I don't remember installing it or using it before.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2012   #9

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dhaneshka View Post

Hi,
It was something like sMonitor that I installed from Pc tools.I don't remember installing it or using it before.
You don't remember installing it.That's a bit strange.Anyone else has access to your system that you don't know about??

Better to be safe than sorry.I would also suggest a full system scan with whichever anti-virus is installed on your system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2012   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dhaneshka View Post

Hi,
It was something like sMonitor that I installed from Pc tools.I don't remember installing it or using it before.
You don't remember installing it.That's a bit strange.Anyone else has access to your system that you don't know about??

Better to be safe than sorry.I would also suggest a full system scan with whichever anti-virus is installed on your system.

its not like that..I am very careless..Nobody else has access to my system.I only installed it, but I forgot when and why..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 C drive getting filled up each time I poweron my system




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: C drive getting filled up each time I poweron my system
Thread Forum
Solved Random stuttering of whole system from time to time Hardware & Devices
Solved System Volume Information has 336 Files filled with 180GB of nulls Performance & Maintenance
Recovery drive is filled , how can i clean it up or make more space ? Drivers
System Time not kept correctly after having manually changed BIOS time Performance & Maintenance
SSD Boot drive filled up need clean up Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33