Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Multiple instances of certain processes running at the same time

31 Mar 2012   #1
Titwhisperer

windows 7 ultimate 32bit
 
 
Multiple instances of certain processes running at the same time

I have approximately 80 - 85 processes running at once and this includes processes for all users. If I am the only user logged on why are there processes running for other users? There are also multiple instances (as many as 5) of the same process listed as running in task manager at the same time. These are for example: explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe....any clues?

Thx, Christopher


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
31 Mar 2012   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Titwhisperer View Post
I have approximately 80 - 85 processes running at once and this includes processes for all users. If I am the only user logged on why are there processes running for other users? There are also multiple instances (as many as 5) of the same process listed as running in task manager at the same time. These are for example: explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe....any clues?

Thx, Christopher
Explorer.exe is your file system explorer, ieexplorer.exe your internet explorer. you need both.

Can we get a snip of task manager with processes for all users showing (sort by cpu or ram)

Also if another user doesnt log off but instead uses fast switching to another user those processes continue to run.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2012   #3
Titwhisperer

windows 7 ultimate 32bit
 
 

I never log off or switch users on my system so I am always the sole user at any time. I realize that svchost is basically a universal tool that hosts dll files and so forth, so I was not concerned about multiple instances of these. I was about the explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe, because I did not have that many windows open to warrant each instance....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Apr 2012   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Titwhisperer View Post
I never log off or switch users on my system so I am always the sole user at any time. I realize that svchost is basically a universal tool that hosts dll files and so forth, so I was not concerned about multiple instances of these. I was about the explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe, because I did not have that many windows open to warrant each instance....
Without a snip I have no idea how many are running. On my 64 bit system (granted it is win 8) there are 11 svchosts running at the moment and my total processes are 64
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #5
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Multiple instances of explorer.exe can be caused by certain settings in utorrent, bittorrent, or other torrent, or some download managers (open containing folder). IE8 will spawn multiple instances of iexplorer.exe if multiple tabs are open as well. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #6
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Titwhisperer View Post
I have approximately 80 - 85 processes running at once and this includes processes for all users. If I am the only user logged on why are there processes running for other users?
Additionally, you're really not the only user. There are also the following users:

Local Service
Network Service
System

Make sure the "User Name" column appears. If it doesn't, add it and you'll see them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #7
Titwhisperer

windows 7 ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Titwhisperer View Post
I never log off or switch users on my system so I am always the sole user at any time. I realize that svchost is basically a universal tool that hosts dll files and so forth, so I was not concerned about multiple instances of these. I was about the explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe, because I did not have that many windows open to warrant each instance....
Without a snip I have no idea how many are running. On my 64 bit system (granted it is win 8) there are 11 svchosts running at the moment and my total processes are 64
I have included this file with the info you requestd


Attached Files
File Type: docx Processes3.docx (420.8 KB, 31 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Multiple instances of certain processes running at the same time




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Wermgr.exe multiple instances Jamming processor time
This is a reboot of a similar thread in this same topic. The file Wermgr.exe, which I understand is windows' error reporting app, is litterally going haywire on my system. From the moment I turn my pc on to the time I shut down as many as 20 or more instances of the app are running at a time....
Software
How to enable multiple users at same time running on one Win7 x32?
I will now explain my problem to you: Two weeks ago, I got my PC stucked in infinite startup recovery loop (because after boot of system, before Windows logo shows up, there is a menu, but my USB keyboards doesn't loaded up yet so I can't choose another option - boot normally - but have to wait 30...
Software
2 instances of outlook 2010 at the same time
I'm trying to run two instances of outlook at the same time on the same computer using two different outlook profiles. example - Profile 1 - Outlook (the default profile) Profile 2 - Gmail I just want to keep both of my email accounts separate. I tried this Running two or...
Microsoft Office
taskbar running multiple instances of Outlook 2007
i have Outlook 2007 pinned to my taskbar. i have notification behavior set to Hide icon and notifications. I have Outlook set to Hide When Minimized. k, so, whenever i want to see Outlook, i simply click the pinned shortcut on taskbar. when i want to hide it, i click the same icon, and it...
Microsoft Office
Running 2 Windows 7 instances
I need to resolve a problem with a crashing program. I've gone as far as I can with removing almost everything off of my production system. Ideally, I'd like to install W7 on a separate disk, install the problem program and just see if it works on a pristine system. Tech support for the...
General Discussion
Multiple instances of same program in processes
Hello, I have a problem, I have multiple instances of same program(exe file) in the processes, even though there's supposed to be only one or none. This never happened to me before and yeah, its not too good for my cpu, since it's usage is increased. here's some pictures from task manager: ...
Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App