Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What is correct explorer.exe for W7 x64 SP1? How to fix?

08 Apr 2012   #1
maxseven

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 6.1 Build 7601 (SP1)
 
 
What is correct explorer.exe for W7 x64 SP1? How to fix?

I've been experiencing explorer.exe crashes recently, errors look like this:

Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          4/8/2012 9:32:57 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Quadcore
Description:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7a144
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e
Exception code: 0xc0150010
Fault offset: 0x000000000006f892
Faulting process id: 0x5b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd13724364afe0
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: bb82b8e0-8187-11e1-a97d-0014d1386dc9
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-04-08T14:32:57.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>23780</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Quadcore</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.17514</Data>
    <Data>4ce7a144</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.17725</Data>
    <Data>4ec4aa8e</Data>
    <Data>c0150010</Data>
    <Data>000000000006f892</Data>
    <Data>5b0</Data>
    <Data>01cd13724364afe0</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>bb82b8e0-8187-11e1-a97d-0014d1386dc9</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Today I looked at another W7HP x64 SP1 (like the first, has all latest updates) I have here, but its explorer.exe is at a different, newer, rev level, 6.1.7601.17567.

My questions:

1. How might this PC have an older rev level of explorer.exe?

2. Can I copy the newer explorer.exe from PC #2 to PC #1, or is there more to it than that?

FWIW I did run SFC /SCANNOW on PC#1 with the older explorer.exe, and it reported no problems. AFAIK I have never mucked with a custom theme on this computer--just running a standard Aero theme.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Apr 2012   #2
windude99

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by maxseven View Post
I've been experiencing explorer.exe crashes recently, errors look like this:

Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          4/8/2012 9:32:57 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Quadcore
Description:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7a144
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e
Exception code: 0xc0150010
Fault offset: 0x000000000006f892
Faulting process id: 0x5b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd13724364afe0
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: bb82b8e0-8187-11e1-a97d-0014d1386dc9
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-04-08T14:32:57.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>23780</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Quadcore</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.17514</Data>
    <Data>4ce7a144</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.17725</Data>
    <Data>4ec4aa8e</Data>
    <Data>c0150010</Data>
    <Data>000000000006f892</Data>
    <Data>5b0</Data>
    <Data>01cd13724364afe0</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>bb82b8e0-8187-11e1-a97d-0014d1386dc9</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Today I looked at another W7HP x64 SP1 (like the first, has all latest updates) I have here, but its explorer.exe is at a different, newer, rev level, 6.1.7601.17567.

My questions:

1. How might this PC have an older rev level of explorer.exe?

2. Can I copy the newer explorer.exe from PC #2 to PC #1, or is there more to it than that?

FWIW I did run SFC /SCANNOW on PC#1 with the older explorer.exe, and it reported no problems. AFAIK I have never mucked with a custom theme on this computer--just running a standard Aero theme.
Have you tried system restoring to before this started?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #3
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

Are you up to date with Windows Updates? My C:\Windows\explorer.exe is also at 6.1.7601.17567 level.

02/25/2011 02:19 AM 2,871,808 explorer.exe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Apr 2012   #4
maxseven

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 6.1 Build 7601 (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
Have you tried system restoring to before this started?
I have not, because I can't put my finger on when the explorer crashes started--they've been so few & far between I've not heretofore concerned myself with them, although I must admit I have been fiddling with disabling shell extensions (shellexview64) for some months now trying to find a possible culprit in there somewhere.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
Are you up to date with Windows Updates? My C:\Windows\explorer.exe is also at 6.1.7601.17567 level.

02/25/2011 02:19 AM 2,871,808 explorer.exe
Yes, both machines are fully updated, which makes me wonder how the first machine (with the older revision 17514) could pass sfc /scannow.

Guess I will try to change-out the 17514 version of explorer.exe, though I wonder too about other dependencies...

UPDATE: I did a search on Explorer.exe on my PC, and found in ReportArchive that the crashes have been going-on back to September 2011, but only a few a month. This (in my defense) is why I was never inspired to do a System Restore.

Next I search the web and then the MS Support website for "Explorer.exe 6.1.7601.17567" and learned that this file was included in a September 2011 update. The easy thing to do was to download that update and install it, and it did install and appears to have worked i.e. both the files in C:\Windows and C:\Windows\SysWOW64 are now at the proper revision level.

I remain troubled as to how this happened, but for now at least it appears the subject question has been answered (though I can't yet confirm the crashing has stopped) so I will mark this thread as Solved.

Many thanks to Windude99 and Ztruker for helping-out with this!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #5
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

Very strange why it was a different level and why sfc didn't flag something, but in any case, I hope that resolves the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2012   #6
maxseven

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 6.1 Build 7601 (SP1)
 
 

I can only think that SFC's local repository of "installed software and updates" doesn't know about the update and thus the explorer.exe version is OK by it, but if I'd have done the update and then mucked with explorer.exe later then I expect it would have been flagged.

Still trying to figure-out what PC#1 did not get the update, but PC#2 did--I'd thought I was pretty disciplined about doing these things together...

Thanks you guys for jogging my brain on this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2012   #7
jmjsquared

Windows (32 & 64 bit) XP, 7, 8CP; Ubuntu 10.10; Android x86
 
 

Hey there, maxseven,

Have you nailed down the reason(s) for various flavors of explorer.exe appearing in properly updated versions of Windows 7 ? So far, I am at a loss to explain why this is so. When I saw this...
Quote:
Next I search the web and then the MS Support website for "Explorer.exe 6.1.7601.17567" and learned that this file was included in a September 2011 update. The easy thing to do was to download that update and install it, and it did install and appears to have worked i.e. both the files in C:\Windows and C:\Windows\SysWOW64 are now at the proper revision level.
... I got curious and poked around in the update Windows6.1-KB2515325-x64 which, based on my limited knowledge, appears to be targeted to at least four versions of explorer.exe.


This leads me to "guess" that the Update does not necessarily update explorer.exe itself; rather the update is intended to address other issues that can occur with any of the mentioned flavors. In fact, you and I have the same version of explorer.exe (6.1.7601.17567) on a total of six x64 machines and, I've just confirmed, the same version is running on an x86 version of Windows 7. BUT there appears to be an "update" to that; ie., 6.1.7601.21669. Therefore, I tend to think that the numerical "superiority" of a particular version does not necessarily indicate any (significant?) improvement and, of course, SFC will not flag a numerically "inferior" version/file unless it is not in accord with Windows' cached version.

Whatcha think?
---JMJ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2012   #8
maxseven

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 6.1 Build 7601 (SP1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jmjsquared View Post
Whatcha think?---JMJ
I think yours is as good a theory as any, but then my normal curiosity to learn The Reason For Things tends to get beaten-down by MS i.e. when I get a problem fixed I then quit while I'm ahead (taking as many notes as I've had time for).

As for 6.1.7601.21669, I notice there's a 20910 in there also and it beats me what these might be about--heck the update is from over a year ago.

I think I feel a headache coming on...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What is correct explorer.exe for W7 x64 SP1? How to fix?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Which MBR fix is correct?
My wife's computer periodically issues 'bootmgr is missing' on boot. I use an Acronis boot disk in those instances to successfully load Windows. Norton comes up clean and so does Malwarbytes. I ran the Norton Eraser in the event there was a rootkit problem and it too came up clean. Therefore I'm...
Performance & Maintenance
Correct way to get out of IE options?
Should I click on 'OK' or 'X'? The reason I ask is because I hadn't been able to accomplish the updates for Adobe Flash since version 11.9.900.170. I believe it had been updating itself approx. the same time as Patch Tues. but since that version it hasn't so finally took time earlier this morning...
Browsers & Mail
Correct DOS commands might help
I am, at the moment, in DOS as Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe trying to resolve these problems: 1. No operating system 2. I have no Recovery disks because Viao does not supply them. I only have a a repair disk which does not solve the problem. 3. I formatted the...
Backup and Restore
Is this (clone) correct?
This is what I did: control panel > back up and restore > create a system image > then C and D drives were copied successfully onto an external hard drive. Now - few questions if I can! 1. Does that mean that with my burned system repair disk, can I now go ahead and re-isntall C and D...
Performance & Maintenance
Correct PSU?
I'm buying a new graphics card, which is a MSI GTX 460 Cyclone OC Edition 1GB GDDR5. I your help to check if i've got the right power supply unit. I have a OCZ 600W MODXSTREAM PRO POWER SUPPLY, But I'm not sure if i've got the right pins to connect the graphics card into the power supply. ...
Hardware & Devices
What is the correct temperature of a CPU?
I downloaded and installed a programme called 'speccy' and is says I have Intel Mobile Cure 2 Duo with both CPU's at 53C Is this about right or this is too hot? Thanks in advance
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App