Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Best way to recover from "sleep" without using the Power Button?


21 Apr 2012   #1

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 
Best way to recover from "sleep" without using the Power Button?

I have a new Dell XPS 8300 with Windows 7 Professional. I would like to be able to "wake" the computer withput having to use the Power Button.

My current power settings are to sleep after 2 hours and hibernate after 1080 minutes (1080 minutes seems to be the default.) Sometimes I can wake the computer by pressing the "quarter moon" key (or other keys), but most of the time I have to use the Power Button which will probably wear out after much of this.

So my question is: what is the best power setting to avoid using the Power Button to wake the computer?

Thanks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Apr 2012   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by midjack View Post
I have a new Dell XPS 8300 with Windows 7 Professional. I would like to be able to "wake" the computer withput having to use the Power Button.

My current power settings are to sleep after 2 hours and hibernate after 1080 minutes (1080 minutes seems to be the default.) Sometimes I can wake the computer by pressing the "quarter moon" key (or other keys), but most of the time I have to use the Power Button which will probably wear out after much of this.

So my question is: what is the best power setting to avoid using the Power Button to wake the computer?

Thanks.
Try pressing the spacebar on your keyboard. The enter key may work also. Sometimes, unplugging a usb mouse can wake a computer, although I would not recommend you do that to wake your pc
Also, you have to use the power button to wake the pc from hibernate. i don't think the power button will wear out. I have a 7 year old pc with a power button that's been pressed probably hundereds of times and the power button still works every time I press it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Thanks Windude99 but I get the same result with the spacebar and enter keys as I do with the moon key.

But if you do this all the time with your power button, that's consoling.

I really don't understand the 1080 minutes before going into hibernate. That's 18 hours, so it really shouldn't hibernate except overnight. The computer seems to be doing this after going into sleep, rather than hibernate. In fact it should never get to hibernate because I turn it off at night.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Apr 2012   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by midjack View Post
Thanks Windude99 but I get the same result with the spacebar and enter keys as I do with the moon key.

But if you do this all the time with your power button, that's consoling.

I really don't understand the 1080 minutes before going into hibernate. That's 18 hours, so it really shouldn't hibernate except overnight. The computer seems to be doing this after going into sleep, rather than hibernate. In fact it should never get to hibernate because I turn it off at night.
Just disable hibernate:Hibernate - Enable or Disable
Scroll down to option 4.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

I'll sure try that. However, it doesn't appear to me that it is ever inactive the 1080 minutes (18 hours) to attain hibernation.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #6

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by midjack View Post
I'll sure try that. However, it doesn't appear to me that it is ever inactive the 1080 minutes (18 hours) to attain hibernation.

Thanks
I hope it works out
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #7

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 

From an elevated CMD prompt type Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

This will list the devices that can wake the pc
If your keyboard and/or mouse aren't listed you can enable wake for them

To enable a device the command is powercfg -DEVICEENABLEWAKE "............."
You will need to change the ............. to your device

To list ALL your devices enter powercfg -DEVICEQUERY all_devices
To get help for this command enter Powercfg /?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #8

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Thanks, David. My keyboard and mouse are both listed and have been working, but not always. It's just that I don't particularly want to have to use the power button every time I wake it from sleep.

I've disabled hibernate and will wait to see if that helps. However, I'm not sure my computer ever goes into hibernation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #9

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 

Ok, figured it was worth checking.
Odd that they work sometimes, but not always.
I've never seen that before.

If you have another KB/mouse you could try those.
Or, re-install your current KB/mouse.
You could also run a system file check SFC /Scannow
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2012   #10

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Are the keyboard and mouse Wireless?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Best way to recover from "sleep" without using the Power Button?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33