|04 May 2012||#1|
| || |
White box/rectangle top left desktop
Yesterday some white rectangle showed up on the top/left of my screen:
This is what it looks like. It appears like ~1min after startup and it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes.. I rebooted alot yesterday. It happens with none, 1 or more applications running.
What I've done so far:
- updating drivers to CCC (Catalyst Control Center) 12.4, I was using 12.3 until yesterday (I have an ATI 6870 gpu)
- changing my background image (apparently this was a solution for someone I found while google'ing)
- ran malwarebytes and MSE: found nothing
- system restore to 2 May 2012
What I did before it happened:
- downloaded and installed a game through Steam (Spiral Knights), when I closed it, I tried to close Steam afterwards but I got a warning that the game was still running (but it wasn't in my process list). I shut down gameoverlay.exe in my processes though.
- downloaded and installed a game from gog.com (Legend of Grimrock)
1 hour ago I removed CCC from the system tray and I rebooted like 6 times, the moment I got to my desktop I started Process Explorer to check what processes were starting up etc. but it didn't show up so far..
I read that older CCC versions put a very small square on top left of the screen years ago.. and people got rid of it by removing ccc from the system tray.
I don't know if it fixed my problem since it's not a little square like they mentioned. Incase it happens again: any idea what is going on?
|My System Specs|
|06 Dec 2013||#2|
| || |
Oh, I'm so glad you've confirmed my theory, and your 'solution' matches mine - nail CCC.
My rectangle appears in the same place yours does, as it does here that another puzzled AMD user has posted.
I think it's actually being caused by something that does a hook into the graphics (eg ATI Tray Tools) or some installed package changes part of the .NET frameworks that CCC rely on. I intend to do some testing on that theory soon as I've a Radeon-totin' machine to rebuild, and it's been doing the rectangle too.
And y'know, I don't think AMD know about this.
Research to be done, then I'll be back and soon.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: White box/rectangle top left desktop|
|Help setting up dual monitor screens (White rectangle box?)||General Discussion|
|Strange rectangle around desktop shortcuts||Customization|
|Black Rectangle appears on desktop after locking PC||General Discussion|
|A white square on the left top corner||Graphic Cards|
|Quick Launch Toolbar Stops Responding - Frozen White Rectangle||General Discussion|
|White rectangle over desktop icons||General Discussion|
|White noise on left speakers/left side of headphone||Sound & Audio|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.