Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop slow [tried almost everything]

06 May 2012   #1
intel 4004

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 
Laptop slow [tried almost everything]

My Laptop is getting slower and slower. I is almost 5 years old now. I am dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. On the Windows side, I have two partitions and both have plenty of space. I did a full scan with Avast and Malwarebyte and no virus is found. I tried to clean out the temp and other trash using Ccleaner, defrag the HHD, disable aero and almost other stuff that I can do besides disabling my wallpaper (which I know doesn't make a big difference in performances) What happen to my computer? Is it the CPU normally slows down over time? Or other things?
If I want to reinstall the windows, what is the proper way to do? Since I'm dual booting.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2012   #2
Lava King

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

intel 4004,

Have you monitored your cpu temperature during operation? CoreTemp should work, as should HWiNFO.

If your cpu is getting too hot it will throttle back to prevent damage. If it is getting hot, then perhaps your heatsink is clogged with lint and dust.

With the laptop performing a task that loads the cpu, hold the backs of your fingers to the exhaust port. You should be able to feel the hot air coming out.

If you don't feel any airflow, you may use canned air to blow into the exhaust port and see if a bunch of stuff comes out of the intake port. It's best to disassemble the laptop to do this, but it can be a tedious process. I always blow into the outlet because the dust accumulates on the leading edges of the fins and not between them.

I may be over cautious, but I usually put something (toothpick, bread tie, whatever will fit) into the fan to keep it from spinning and generating a potentially harmful voltage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2012   #3
windude99

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by intel 4004 View Post
My Laptop is getting slower and slower. I is almost 5 years old now. I am dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. On the Windows side, I have two partitions and both have plenty of space. I did a full scan with Avast and Malwarebyte and no virus is found. I tried to clean out the temp and other trash using Ccleaner, defrag the HHD, disable aero and almost other stuff that I can do besides disabling my wallpaper (which I know doesn't make a big difference in performances) What happen to my computer? Is it the CPU normally slows down over time? Or other things?
If I want to reinstall the windows, what is the proper way to do? Since I'm dual booting.
Have you tried running system restore:System Restore
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2012   #4
intel 4004

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lava King View Post
intel 4004,

Have you monitored your cpu temperature during operation? CoreTemp should work, as should HWiNFO.

If your cpu is getting too hot it will throttle back to prevent damage. If it is getting hot, then perhaps your heatsink is clogged with lint and dust.

With the laptop performing a task that loads the cpu, hold the backs of your fingers to the exhaust port. You should be able to feel the hot air coming out.

If you don't feel any airflow, you may use canned air to blow into the exhaust port and see if a bunch of stuff comes out of the intake port. It's best to disassemble the laptop to do this, but it can be a tedious process. I always blow into the outlet because the dust accumulates on the leading edges of the fins and not between them.

I may be over cautious, but I usually put something (toothpick, bread tie, whatever will fit) into the fan to keep it from spinning and generating a potentially harmful voltage.
When I check Core temp, its around 62c - 73c. I can feel air flowing. I cleaned the dust out before using a brush and a vacuum cleaner.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by intel 4004 View Post
My Laptop is getting slower and slower. I is almost 5 years old now. I am dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. On the Windows side, I have two partitions and both have plenty of space. I did a full scan with Avast and Malwarebyte and no virus is found. I tried to clean out the temp and other trash using Ccleaner, defrag the HHD, disable aero and almost other stuff that I can do besides disabling my wallpaper (which I know doesn't make a big difference in performances) What happen to my computer? Is it the CPU normally slows down over time? Or other things?
If I want to reinstall the windows, what is the proper way to do? Since I'm dual booting.
Have you tried running system restore:System Restore
So system restore means make the computer go back in time? But you will need a store point right? I don't have a restore point...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2012   #5
intel 4004

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Forgot to say, I'm using two accounts. One is the Admin that a activated and the other is a normal user.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2012   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Does it run slower in Windows and Ubuntu or only in Windows. Just to see whether it could be a hardware problem or an OS problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2012   #7
intel 4004

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Does it run slower in Windows and Ubuntu or only in Windows. Just to see whether it could be a hardware problem or an OS problem.
From my feeling, Windows is running slower. Ubuntu because it has a very limited space, its a bit slow, but not as slow as Windows side.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2012   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I had the understanding that there was a change over time. Did both change (get slower) or only Windows. I am just tryung to find out whether we are looking at a hardware or OS problem. What is your feeling??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2012   #9
intel 4004

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I had the understanding that there was a change over time. Did both change (get slower) or only Windows. I am just tryung to find out whether we are looking at a hardware or OS problem. What is your feeling??
I guess maybe the Harddrive? I didn't notice any changes for Ubuntu, only Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2012   #10
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Is the Windows side slow ALL the time?

Or only when booting?

Or only when doing certain things?

Have you looked in Task Manager or Resource Monitor?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop slow [tried almost everything]




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Laptop slow [tried almost everything]
Thread Forum
Laptop getting slow day by day Performance & Maintenance
seriously slow i7 laptop - something not right Performance & Maintenance
Solved Slow Wireless Speeds - Laptop is fine, Desktop is SLOW Network & Sharing
Laptop slow Performance & Maintenance
laptop slow Performance & Maintenance
Laptop so slow Performance & Maintenance
laptop going slow General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App