Alright: I'll divide this into sections and explain everything I've been dealing with and done in the last few days. To be blunt, I'm out of ideas and I need help.
Section 1: pre upgrade
Intel DBX38BT motherboard
Intel core 2 quad Q9300 processor
Nvidia 9800 gt
4gb of OCZ 10300 ram
2x 500 gb 7200 RPm SATA Western Digital drives
Liteon dvdrw drive
Windows xp pro
Im a gamer and my pc was optimized to do so circa 4 years ago, I could easily run even current gen games like Tera on medium settings, alt+tab and have a web browser and internet radio going with no issues. Cpu usage I never remember seeing above 80%, ever.
Being honest, this was the 3rd pc Ive built and I was pretty confident about my computer knowledge to do this myself.
I bought on newegg:
16gb of Corsair vengeance RAM
and win 7 home premium about a week ago and this is where the problems started
Section 2 -- The upgrade itself
The physical installation of the new graphics card and all 4 of the corsair RAM dimms went without a hitch, I did have a RAM POST error, but simply reseated the dimms and windows booted perfectly. So I went into XP updated my drivers
for the graphics card (temporarily) and began backing up my critical data.
About an hour later I restarted and went into my BIOS to reconfigure for Win 7 installation. I accidentally disabled USB on boot though I dont remember doing this as well as the expected switching of boot order.
Dropped the win 7 dvd into my DVD drive and verified it was set to master on the jumper (IDE DVD drive)
saved and rebooted
naturally I couldnt start the boot from dvd drive with no keyboard because I had disabled the USB (no ps/2 port on this board) so I set about flashing the bios which I had never done on this board. I removed power and the cmos battery, waited 10 mins, pressed the power button to clear any extra power... reseated everything and booted up
no numlock light on keyboard, it was still disabled. I tried this 3 more times, before reading online that this board has a jumper made for this exact situation, set the boards jumper to configure and got into bios just fine
set it to boot to dvd drive and tried again
Section 3 -- Win 7 installation
went all the way into windows and the DVD drive was showing nothing was in it.
physically the disc looked fine so i went to my fathers house and tested it in his pc, and it worked just fine.
2 days later I had a SATA dvd drive i borrowed from a friend and managed to get Win 7 to install
during win 7 installation Iclicked the "format" button thing, but I dont remember it actually taking any time, I deleted the old partitions and remade them into the recommended ones (win 7 newbie)
Windows 7 comes online and as soon as the desktop hits, im pushing 80% cpu usage, so I let it go for 2 hours thinking it may just need to run its course
(pc has no internet connection right now)
I come back to it and its still idleing around 60% cpu but I tried to install the Nvidia drivers only to have it lock up on me with a glaring Not Responding quote
so I rebooted and gave it an internet connection to register the windows and let it update completely
computer remains almost completely unusable, as im typing this it is taking literally 10 seconds for the typed digits to appear. current pc stats with ONLY IE working
are CPU at 45% Ram @ 1.8gb / 16
cpu spiking to the 80s
Section 4 -- Already attempted fixes
I ran malware bytes
and AVG niether found anything
I gave the dvd drive back so I have no cd / dvd drives to work with, I do have a USB pen drive.
Ive tried each RAM stick individually and none post error
Ive gotten up to date Bios installed and have all drivers that are recent
Edit: Attempt update: I optimized windows, transparency is off as well as several other thinkgs like gadgets and printer services, still almost no change to cpu stats.
I thought i did everything right =(